U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2008, 07:40 AM

9 posts, read 38,491 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have been offered a job out in Austin and looking to possibly move out there. I made a weekend trip and in my initial reaction I was not impressed (maybe because I was staying north of downtown). However, after driving into the South Park Meadows area, my view changed after seeing all the new housing projects and shopping areas. If I do move, I will be keen on moving into that area.

Would someone please provide me insight into how is the South Park Meadows area ? I saw several apartment complex there as well (Iron Rock, The Crossings, Regency, Waterstone? I am from NJ and will be moving with my wife; we are just looking for a nice area with a suburb feel to it. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:32 AM

6,331 posts, read 17,059,515 times
The 78748 zipcode, where SP Meadows is located, is the fastest growing Austin zipcode, mainly because, it's the last area of Austin-proper with large tracts of undeveloped land.

It's reasonably close to the recreation amenities and core features of downtown, such as Zilker Park, Town Lake Hike/Bike trail, Barton Springs pool, central shopping, SoCo, and restaurants, etc. But you also have plenty of shopping and amenities in the general area so you don't have to venture into downtown if you don't want to.

Steve

Old 06-16-2008, 09:16 AM

9 posts, read 38,491 times
Thank for your response. Is the area safe?

Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 AM

6,331 posts, read 17,059,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122201 View Post
Thank for your response. Is the area safe?
I'm restricted in my response as a licensed Realtor. I'll have to let other give you opinions. That said, safety always starts with you personally and your level of awareness, even your posture, how you walk and how you carry yourself. I can also say I wouldn't be worried about my Mom living in 78748.

Crime stats are available from the Austin Police Department and you'll find that crime happens in every zipcode in Austin. Bad things can happen in good areas and there are people who have lived in rough areas for 20 years with no trouble at all.

Steve

Old 06-16-2008, 09:55 AM

532 posts, read 1,310,512 times
My wife and I moved into the Knolls at Slaughter Creek development 6 months ago and love it here. It's just off 1626 between Manchaca and So. 1st, just down the street and around the corner from the South Park Meadows shopping center, in 78748. This area has a really friendly feel, and I don't feel unsafe at all. Our particular community has a lot of neighborhood activities (pool opening party, combined yard sales, 4th of July picnic and parade, dinners out, plant exchanges, etc.) and very friendly neighbors. A fairly easy commute to downtown and lots of shopping and dining nearby. There aren't any apartments in this particular development, just standalone houses. Occasionally I'll see a "House For Lease" sign in the neighborhood, but not that often. The houses are reasonably priced (low $200,000s to some in the $500,000s, with most between 225,000 and 350,000, I'd say), very large, and really well built.

All in all, we couldn't have made a better choice and are really happy with where we are. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 PM

675 posts, read 1,793,506 times
That area is good. But just across I-35 is gets bad really quickly. Also I'm not sure I'd send my kids to schools right over there-- at least not the ones if you live close to I-35.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:24 AM

2 posts, read 10,923 times
I'll speak up because I live VERY close to the Southpark Meadows shopping center. We always feel safe, have never had any trouble whatsoever, and we live east of 35 in the Crossing at Onion Creek. Although it is in the 78744 (the maps are weird and we are right next to most of the 78748 area) we are in an area that is surrounded by mostly green space and very friendly neighbors. We are selling our house because we're running out of room (3 boys and a dog) but we really love our location. We've never had better neighbors. Everyone on our street takes great care of their yard and we never have noise issues. We used to live east on oltorf (parker lane) and our cars were vandalized and it was a little scary. That is the real east side, and where we are now is nothing like that.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:06 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,526,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
That area is good. But just across I-35 is gets bad really quickly. Also I'm not sure I'd send my kids to schools right over there-- at least not the ones if you live close to I-35.
The average home value in the Southpark Meadows zip code 78748 is 189K. The zip code directly past I-35 increases to 239K for the average home value.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,526,143 times
Additionally, both 78748 and 78747 feed into the same schools. 78744 is not so great, but is south of Slaughter Lane. This neighborhood feeds into Crockett High, and no one wants to buy there, so the home values slip - not to say the houses aren't nice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin