Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 12:04 PM

271 posts, read 1,072,273 times

Advertisements

What is/was the tomorrow fund?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:11 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,392 times
Was. you bought the plan for your kid. paid into for a set amount for a set number of years. when your child reached college age, it paid their tuition at any state school. it has been closed now for several years

Old 11-22-2008, 12:16 AM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
OK, since we are talking about tuition, as an "old timer" I have to throw in that I actually remember being outraged that the tuition went up over $100 per semester at UT. That was in 1972, I think, and I was a sophomore. Can you believe that I felt like my parents were getting ripped off? That was back when most people could actually afford to go to a state school. Controlling costs - in education, health care, highway building, everywhere - has to be one of the big challenges of our times.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
OK, since we are talking about tuition, as an "old timer" I have to throw in that I actually remember being outraged that the tuition went up over $100 per semester at UT. That was in 1972, I think, and I was a sophomore. Can you believe that I felt like my parents were getting ripped off? That was back when most people could actually afford to go to a state school. Controlling costs - in education, health care, highway building, everywhere - has to be one of the big challenges of our times.
I paid $4 a semester hour in 1980.
Question....other than the fact that out of staters pay more per semester hour, why does UT accept out of state applicants over in state (grades and scores being equal?) Now that the freshman class is 80% to 10%, it seems like the last 20% should be open first to Texas residents who are in, say the top 15% or so??

Old 11-23-2008, 08:27 AM

103 posts, read 322,023 times
I also paid the $4/hour back in 1980. I really wonder how much the coaches' salaries have increased percentage wise since then. Don't get me wrong. I love my Longhorn football, but Muschamp's new salary is $900,000/year. That really gets me going. Our kids are having to go into debt to get their degrees and face finding jobs that will never come close to paying that kind of money. That is if they can get into the school. I'm just saying that I think that all the universities are really showing what they really care about, and I don't think it's my son's future.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maadimom View Post
I also paid the $4/hour back in 1980. I really wonder how much the coaches' salaries have increased percentage wise since then. Don't get me wrong. I love my Longhorn football, but Muschamp's new salary is $900,000/year. That really gets me going. Our kids are having to go into debt to get their degrees and face finding jobs that will never come close to paying that kind of money. That is if they can get into the school. I'm just saying that I think that all the universities are really showing what they really care about, and I don't think it's my son's future.
Add to that the fact that UT has big plans to sell the Brackenrige tract (student housing, municipal golf course and kid recreation facilities) and it makes me realize that the UT administration is the greediest thing going.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 AM

44 posts, read 121,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfry View Post
Was. you bought the plan for your kid. paid into for a set amount for a set number of years. when your child reached college age, it paid their tuition at any state school. it has been closed now for several years

It's back, or at least something similar to it:
https://www.texastuitionpromisefund....-08-173858.xml

Old 11-24-2008, 08:16 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
Actually, the UT athletics program is one of a very few that is self sufficient. There was a good article in Texas Monthly recently, and the athletics program actually funded $8 million last year for the academic 'side' of the school.
Quote:
Add to that the fact that UT has big plans to sell the Brackenrige tract (student housing, municipal golf course and kid recreation facilities) and it makes me realize that the UT administration is the greediest thing going.
But why should the school be in the business of running businesses? This is a money sink (or at least, a minimal return), and tuition and fees are paying for it. I don't know why a university should be responsible for funding a public golf course. Now, I admit, it is nice, but it is hard to complain about the cost of school and then say that they should use their money in such a manner.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:39 PM

288 posts, read 919,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
IIRC, that tract also contains the Brackenridge Field Lab where UT does much of its ecology research (as well as providing a great learning resource for students). It would be a shame to lose this resource.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
But why should the school be in the business of running businesses? This is a money sink (or at least, a minimal return), and tuition and fees are paying for it. I don't know why a university should be responsible for funding a public golf course. Now, I admit, it is nice, but it is hard to complain about the cost of school and then say that they should use their money in such a manner.
Well, it's not like they're going to sell the land and take the money to fund programs. They're planning to develop the land for a higher return.

I think that the preent use of dorms is in the best interest of the students. The golf course/WAYA returns a modest amount to UT but I think it's importance lies on good citizenship to the city of Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin