Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 AM

264 posts, read 1,001,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Oh, lord, no, not a chain like Chut's or Hula Hut to replace the Oasis! It's an Austin tradition; it doesn't need to be "watered down" to be like chains (local or otherwise) that you can find anywhere.

The Oasis has never been about the food. Ever. It's about the view and the experience.

I don't recall "a lot of people" wishing that it had burned down entirely. Quite the contrary, in fact.

Would I go there to eat? No. But I'd definitely go there for drinks (I tend to be pretty specific when I order my drinks, right down to brand of tequila) and conversation in a beautiful setting.
Um, I think you just re-iterated what I said. Don't go there to eat, go there for the view, company, and some drinks (beer). Since the food is soooo bad, wouldn't it be nice if you COULD go there and enjoy a nice meal as well? Since they haven't been able to serve a decent meal there is the 18 years that I've lived here, had it burned down and built by a restaurant with GOOD food, how would that have been a bad thing? For the Love of God, why can't they hire a decent kitchen staff that knows how to cook? If you're going to wait that long for a table and finally get a nice view, it's a shame that you can't enjoy a meal there. The staff/management have always been very rude if you try to complain about ANYTHING, so be careful. They have these huge heads because the place is always crowded so they don't care if you complain, they know people are still going to come. It's annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM

61 posts, read 300,315 times
Great, thanks for the feedback. One question: where is the best place to watch the bats??

Old 06-20-2008, 01:21 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i29gtaylor View Post
Great, thanks for the feedback. One question: where is the best place to watch the bats??
The most popular spot is the Congress Ave bridge.

Congress Avenue Bats in Austin Texas - Bats at the Congress Avenue Bridge in Austin (http://austin.about.com/cs/bats/p/bats.htm - broken link)

Old 06-20-2008, 04:30 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
Trust me, whatever you do, don't go to the Oasis to eat! Go there for some cocktails or appetizers if you must, BUT DON'T EAT DINNER THERE!!! Their service is absolutely the worst I've ever experienced in Austin and seriously, you can find better tasting food at the 7-11. I've lived here over 18 years and they've done "overhauls" with their management and kitchen staff, even came up with new menu items, however, I think that place is just cursed with horrible food! Nothing they've done in the time I've lived here has increased the quality of food that they serve. Some people will say that it's gotten better, but seriously, if it had gotten any worst, the Health Department would have shut them down. The last time I was there, the Health Department would have shut them down for the "food" they tried to serve us. When we complained to the manager, his exact words were "so....what do you want me to do? If I re-order your food, you're still not going to be happy so I'll just give you a 15% discount on your ticket." The view is awesome but do yourself a favor and just order beer there as well. I ordered Crown and Coke there and was given some cheap "well" whiskey and they had the nerve to charge me $8.25 for a drink that was watered down and wasn't even what I ordered. I'm telling you, I don't like the Oasis one bit! When part of it burned down a few years ago, a lot of people wished it would have completely burned down and re-built by a restaurant like Chuy's or Hula Hut! The owners/management there are horrendous! Okay, I'm done.
The Oasis is overpriced. The food isn't amazing. The view is nice though. It's not a place to order a special meal like a fish something...but you're probably pretty safe with some appetizers that can't be screwed up like nachos or fajitas. Margaritas are ok. That's what we get when we go there (not often). And last time I was there, the food had improved a great deal. I have not been since the fire. Can't comment on the mgmt.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:37 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTexan View Post
When part of it burned down a few years ago, a lot of people wished it would have completely burned down and re-built by a restaurant like Chuy's or Hula Hut!
I remember feeling very sad when I heard the news

Old 06-20-2008, 07:48 PM

147 posts, read 695,496 times
I am going to tell you straight up, there are only a couple of things you must do. When you are walking around and here some interesting music coming out of a building, go on in and take a look. When you are wandering around and smell something good, go on in and have a taste. When you find yourself a little dehydrated from the summer heat, mosey on in and have yourself a cold one. Find yourself a bench in the shade, sit down a spell and take a rest.

Austin is not a city of destinations and attractions. The reward is the journey and the people you meet along the way.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:21 PM

61 posts, read 300,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
I am going to tell you straight up, there are only a couple of things you must do. When you are walking around and here some interesting music coming out of a building, go on in and take a look. When you are wandering around and smell something good, go on in and have a taste. When you find yourself a little dehydrated from the summer heat, mosey on in and have yourself a cold one. Find yourself a bench in the shade, sit down a spell and take a rest.

Austin is not a city of destinations and attractions. The reward is the journey and the people you meet along the way.
Great feedback; thanks. That's exactly why we want to move there. I was thinking more about the areas we have to see and the local restaurants we need to eat at. Then we can do the walking around and exploring once we're in the best place!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:33 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,918 times
Be sure to drive down 360, see the lake from the Pennybacker Bridge and take 2222 to the Oasis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin