Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:29 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times

Advertisements

Any opinions on what is the most walkable neighborhood of those around downtown? I'm talking Rollingwood to Holly, Travis Heights to Barton Hills, Tarrytown, Allendale (I don't know them all) -- everything except right in downtown. I know there is a walkability site, but I'm looking for some personal experience here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 08:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
riverside...just kidding..don't ever walk there..

Old 06-22-2008, 08:44 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
Hey, i lived for seven years off Riverside! Maybe you wouldn't go walking late at night but I regularly walked to the grocery store, drugstore, and the movies when I lived there. And it is full of pedestrians. Soon it will be condo-fied and made fancy but lots of regular, hard-working people and students lived (and live there). I never felt unsafe.

s

Old 06-22-2008, 08:51 AM

54 posts, read 65,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Hey, i lived for seven years off Riverside! Maybe you wouldn't go walking late at night but I regularly walked to the grocery store, drugstore, and the movies when I lived there. And it is full of pedestrians. Soon it will be condo-fied and made fancy but lots of regular, hard-working people and students lived (and live there). I never felt unsafe.

s
Riverside from Congress east to Zilker is hands down the nicest stroll in Austin...all the eateries, peaceful vibe....just really pleasant....

6th is nice early on sundays, about the only time it isn't packed.....

South Congress is very decent from the bat bridge south to say Edwards
University or so........

Old 06-22-2008, 01:38 PM

139 posts, read 450,876 times
I love Rosedale for walkability - can walk to the shops and restaurants off Burnet, Medical Pkwy, Central Market, etc...There are a variety of neighborhood shops, a great neighborhood park and pool, and beautiful, shade trees along all of the streets.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:11 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Do you require sidewalks? Just kidding...no, actually, I'm not.

Some of the areas in the Bouldin Creek neighborhood are really nice places to walk, but you might be walking in the street on/off. I like S 5th(Dawson) south of Barton Springs to Oltorf, including all of the side streets between S 5th and S 1st. Also, the area between S 1st and Congress from Oltorf to around the School for the Deaf. Some beautiful older homes, trees and landscaping.

Of course Travis Hts, Hyde Park, Clarksville, Tarrytown are all really nice.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:26 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
From Barton Hills, you can walk to Sun Harvest, to Target, to Half Price Books, to assorted tasty restaurants, to Blockbuster Video, to Brodie Oaks Shopping Center, to Zilker Park and Barton Springs (and the restaurants on Barton Springs Road), to the Barton Springs Greenbelt.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:34 PM

You all have been quite helpful! We are just about 2 weeks away from our big exploratory trip to Austin. Any information helps us in our quest to find the right place for us. We love being out in the country, but have lately decided that it is better (for us) to be in a place where services are walkable, or at least close, in a nice friendly neighborhood. We can always drive to the country (or paddle out in our canoe). Can't wait to spend some time in Austin!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:26 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Considering you like to paddle, Barton Hills really seems like the perfect fit for you. Ladybird lake (via Zilker Park) is within easy walking distance, you wouldn't even have to cross any major streets.

Check out this map of Zilker: http://apachecon.com/2006/US/images/...kerParkMap.pdf. A great place to put in would be where the canoe rental spot is (near the bottom of the map). Barton Hills is directly to the south of where the map ends, adjacent to the park. Plus, there is free parking there during weekdays if you are bringing your own stuff... You could throw your mountain bike in the car too and canoe, mountain bike, and hike/run different trails all from that spot. DIY adventure race!

Old 06-22-2008, 10:25 PM

Sounds wonderful! Plus, I am a naturalist by trade, and would love to work part time at the Austin Nature Center. (I now teach some summer camps at our local Audubon Sanctuary, and work part time for an organization that takes school kids on hiking/naturalist adventures.) Now if we can just get a house that won't break the bank! We are looking for an older house that needs people like us to give it a facelift and energy efficiency. We have lots of time before moving, and a brother in law who is a carpenter. Thanks again for all your suggestions and help. I hope we meet new friends who are as giving as you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: