Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 AM

8 posts, read 26,808 times

Advertisements

Whoa. I'm just now reading these posts that are apparently saying negative things about my post on RR. I'm not a tattooed, babyslinging hipster who lives in Austin as you assumed. I LIVE in Round Rock, have no tattoos and a couple of kids. I am not making "shallow" or misinformed comments about the people here. I know them....they are my neighbors. I have lived in several cities and communities throughout the country, and I have never experienced the "Stepford" lifestyle as I do here. But hey, if perception is reality...then that's the reality of Round Rock to me. Your perception is your reality. I was simply responding to a post asking about Round Rock. If you love your city, that's fantastic and I encourage you to talk as positively as possible (makes resale rates higher). I personally don't care for it and I was explaining my reasons. Fair enough?

Last edited by SophieElla; 06-26-2008 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: missing word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 05:34 AM

187 posts, read 846,806 times
I agree very strongly, SophieElla, that perception is reality, and that it is, therefore, subjective. Totally agree with you on that.

I don't perceive the "Stepford" thing here in Williamson Co. to be any different or any stronger than the towns and surburbs in which I lived near Chicago, growing up. In fact, because I was in the thick of it as I was maturing, I perceived it as being perhaps a bit worse than here. Folks in these Chicago suburbs are definitely a lot wealthier, on the whole, as a demographic. Their houses and things can look more unique, but they're all the same, too.

And it's not as though the socialites of NYC and the gentrifiers of Brooklyn also don't feel pressure to have the latest and the greatest or to appear in the right places or buy the right thing.... It's an urban phenomenon, too, that transcends class. In Austin, you fit in if you buy "green" things and pay lip service to public transportation as you pack your kids into your SUV or "mini" van.

I'm not trying to pick on people here. That was not my intention in my first posts, either. I'm just trying to convince others that these assumptions about suburbia and small towns don't always hold water, and that we can flip those assumptions and put them upon urbanites, and find they might fit well, too.

We are all very similar--humans with hopes and dreams and families--and our differences are actually quite small. That's all.

(I enjoy the discussions and debates on this board and I'm always learning something new. Or laughing!)

To Round Rock and beyond! Next, the world!

Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I've lived in a few different suburbs and downtown areas myself and don't find round rock more stepford than those areas either. Highlands Ranch in Denver could be considered stepford central as could parts around Houston, downtown or otherwise. A friend of mine and I used to have no end of fun joking about all the khaki we saw and this is when we lived in Rice Village. In clear lake it was everyone thinking they were hippie surfer bums or something, all driving jeeps and the like and sandals.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoenfraun View Post
does Anyone Else Find This Kinda Statement To Be Slightly Humorous? I Mean, If I See One More "individualized" Hipster Man Or Woman Wearing Their Baby In A Sling Strapped Across Their Ironic T-shirt As They Walk Down South Congress Or Shop For Vintage Stuff On North Loop...well, I Won't Do Anything, I Won't Even React Anymore. They're About As Cookie Cutter As You Can Get.

All The Tattoos And Piercings Blend Together To Make One Massive, Holey, Pool Of Ink. All Eating At The Local Chain (emphasis On Chain, Not Local) Kerbey Lane Or Magnolia Cafe... Pretty Standard.

The Historic Part Of Round Rock--not Too Far From The Round Rock, Right?--is Pretty Darn Cute. Not As Affordable As The New Subdivisions, But Hey...it Exists. Check It Out.

Austinites Pride Themselves On Their Uniqueness. They're Keepin' It Weird, Keepin' It Real. But Who Do You Think Is Shopping At Ikea And The Outlet Malls? Do You Think They Come Only From Round Rock And The Farther Towns And 'burbs? Many A Unique And Individualized Austin Resident Can Be Found There Trolling For The Latest In Mass-manufactured Particle Board Furnishings Or Barely-discounted Clothing.

Everyone Is Unique And Yet Very Similar. This Artificial Boundary Line Between "real" Austin And The Outlying Areas Is Becoming Increasingly Smaller. Look At The Campo Plan For 2030. The Austin Metropolitan Area Will Grow Fat Along The I-35 Corridor And The Population Will Be About 2.5 Million. Think About It. Either The Hip Austinites Will Colonize The 'burbs Because They Can't Stop Spawning And Having Hip Young'uns, Or The Same Will Be True Of Those In The Hinterlands: They Will Infiltrate Austin! Perish The Thought....

Round Rock Is Already Large, A 'burb To Contend With. Georgetown, Hutto, Taylor...all The Small Towns That-a-way From The City Will Be Sucked Into The Vortex Of Austin And Lose Their Small-townness. But In The Meantime, They Are Still Unique Places In Their Historic Cores And Provide A Commute Time To Austin That Is No Worse, And Even Better, Than Other Similar Urban Commutes In The Us, Like The Atlanta, Chicago, La, And New York Areas.

The Us Is Becoming Homogenized, And It Will Happen To Austin, Too. Sorry To Be Such A Party-pooper. It's Not What I Want To See...but You Can't Beat The Machine. It Just Grinds Away....
+1

Old 05-15-2009, 08:29 AM

38 posts, read 95,703 times
I know it has been a while since this thread, but I am hoping someone is still following it. I would love to get some advice on neighborhoods/subdivisions to move my family of four (daughters 10 and 6) to. Originally we were looking at Round Rock (because it got rated no. 7 best place to live and raise a family) but have since expanded our search to include Georgetown, Pflugerville and Leander (there seems to be a wider selecton of 3-BR houses for $ 150,000 there!) There are so many different opinions on these posts and I would really appreciate any recommendations for subdivision (and which ones to avoid). We are looking for many things and know we won't get them all, but here are some:
* A smaller, established family oriented community (this is not based on Church choice) that has lots of fun activities for kids (parks, bike trails, swimming pools, tennis, library, community center, etc...) and some shopping and ideally a charming walkable town center/main street.
* A place that has things going on (some music, concerts in the park, outdoor cafes, a local "Cheers" type bar, etc) and does not entirely depend on Austin. However, we would like to be within one hour's drive to Austin (or closer).
* A safe, nice, well established, quiet neighborhood where kids can play outside (lots of trees would be great!).
* A neighborhood that has a neighborhood feel and decorates for the holidays. We want a true sense of community and neighborliness
* A good school district is important
* Hiking, biking trails
* Near lakes/water
Thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
There are some pretty areas, near 1431 (I think) that resemble the western parts of Travis County, some decent shopping for necessities (HEB Plus), pretty good chain-ish restaurants (Chuy's, a nice Z-Tejas, Mama Fu's) and some family owned too (close to the European Cafe in Pluf). It is probably a good place for a family too, but it is still bland and far from central Austin. Resell value is hit or miss too. There isn't much that supports a rise in home value. My first instinct is to knock it, but in reality it is ok. My only real issues is that Williamson County is very conservative, and you will find yourself staying around RR and not taking advantage of everything Austin has to offer just due to distance.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
You've just pretty much described Georgetown to a T, and a quick search of the MLS today turns up 59 houses with your basic parameters, in a variety of neighborhoods.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:58 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuledbyBlueBell View Post
There are some pretty areas, near 1431 (I think) that resemble the western parts of Travis County, some decent shopping for necessities (HEB Plus), pretty good chain-ish restaurants (Chuy's, a nice Z-Tejas, Mama Fu's) and some family owned too (close to the European Cafe in Pluf). It is probably a good place for a family too, but it is still bland and far from central Austin. Resell value is hit or miss too. There isn't much that supports a rise in home value. My first instinct is to knock it, but in reality it is ok. My only real issues is that Williamson County is very conservative, and you will find yourself staying around RR and not taking advantage of everything Austin has to offer just due to distance.
Well, let's see, I live 15 miles north of Georgetown (and thus am about 45 minutes from 183/Burnet Road) and I find myself partaking of Austin's offerings on a regular basis - even SOUTH Austin's offerings.

Williamson County is not as conservative as you make it out to be, by the way. (Says this old hippie who spends a fair amount of time there.) Not flaming liberal, but, then, Austin as a whole tends not to be flaming liberal, either, but more live and let live as long as you extend the same courtesy.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:16 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,651,833 times
Oh, and I would avoid Plufgerville as it is going down fast. Rising crime, industrial area, and declining housing prices.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 AM

38 posts, read 95,703 times
What is 1431? What area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin