Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:53 AM

9 posts, read 24,625 times

Advertisements

We were offered a relocation offer to Austin. We are a interracial couple in our 30's with one child. We originate from PA, but recently was relocated to Columbus, GA. The south is beautiful. (A little slow for me). I like the heat, but I read some scary things about education in Austin. I want to know if it is up to par or would we have to invest in private school? He is a honor roll student ,so I want the same for him where ever we move.
We would be looking to rent a unit until we got our feet planted there, is there any suggestions on the area to look in? What is the median for rental on a 3 bdrm? In PA, about $900- $1000. Is it about the same? Would u recommend living downtown?
If someone could help me, I would appreciate it. Thanks abunch!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:40 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Austinites will need more info from you in order to help you For instance, where are you planning on working? They can tell you about school districts close to your work so you won't have a long commute in Austin traffic! A 3 bedroom that is centrally located is going to be a bit more costly than $1000.00

Provide the locals with a bit more detailed info and they can really help you out!

Old 06-24-2008, 12:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Absolutely! There are some very good public schools here, if they'll fit into your commute plans. But we do need more information on your interests, etc., to give you the best advice.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM

9 posts, read 24,625 times
Default more info

Okay. I will need to find work I suppose downtown. I work for larger corporations/hospitals. My son will be entering 6th grade and plays youth football, basketball and lacrosse. I just want a decent area and not too long of a commute. I travel now 20-30 mins to work.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyburke_2003 View Post
Okay. I will need to find work I suppose downtown. I work for larger corporations/hospitals. My son will be entering 6th grade and plays youth football, basketball and lacrosse. I just want a decent area and not too long of a commute. I travel now 20-30 mins to work.
Not neccessarily. There are hospitals in North and South Austin. Is your job the one who is offering the relocation? If so, which hospital? There are quite a few hospitals in Austin. Where will your husband/SO be working? Austin traffic can be a nightmare if you're not used to traffic where you're living now. Living centrally (downtown), you are going to be paying much more than a $1000.00 for a 3 bdrm rental. Check out austin360.com (the local newspaper)--click on homes at the tops, then click on rentals. You will be able to get a rough idea of the rental amounts. In general, most will encourage you not to live East of I-35 near downtown d/t crime, etc... It is going through a slow gentrification process now, but could take some time to turn around.

Another thing...have you ever visited Austin? If not, I highly encourage a visit prior to your move. You might hate it, especially if you are not used to hot weather. Plan a trip during the Summer months, esp. now, so you can get an idea of the extreme temperatures! They are having 100+ degrees days down there right now Also, the visit will give you a feel for the lay of the land. Some visit and know right away that Austin is not for them. I, however, will always sing Austin's virtues. It is a place where my soul grew up, even though my body didn't. But I have been visiting there for quite a LONG time to realize it is the place for me. Make sure it is for you and your family prior to making the big move.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:09 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Okay. You could consider Cedar Park or Round Rock. While both have good schools, you'd likely want to visit and see which would be the best fit for your son (I've learned with my own very bright children that a good school is not a good school is not a good school - the one that was great for my son would have been a disaster for my daughter, and vice versa, and those were private schools). Downtown is likely not the best place for you to live - except for St. David's and Brackenridge, the hospitals tend to be a bit further out. Where is your spouse going to be working due to the relocation?

Old 06-24-2008, 09:13 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,597 times
You can see some rentals on Craigslist.org and austinhomefinder.com.

I've been to Columbus, GA a few times -- Austin is so much better! I think being an interracial couple would raise more eyebrows in Columbus than Austin.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:40 PM

18 posts, read 60,731 times
I recommend you try GreatSchools.net to find out how the schools are in Austin. You can also read parent reviews. Eanes ISD is the best ISD in the Austin area. Austin ISD gets slack but has some very good schools spread out in nicer neighborhoods (i.e try Circle C, Shady hollow area, Western Oaks, Oak Hill). I actually think there are better schools (i.e based on ratings, scores and reviews) in Austin than Round Rock or Cedar park if you are willing to pick where you live.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:17 PM

54 posts, read 65,192 times
Boy oh boy........I think I've finally had enough of hearing those same towns....
Cedar Park, RR.........I'll have to get a real estate license to increase my interest in seeing the same 4-5 suburbs mentioned over and over and over again!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:44 AM

183 posts, read 686,399 times
Round Rock is supposedly becoming the "medical hub" of central Texas, so that might be a good place to start. Scott & White and St. Davids have recently opened and a 100,000 square foot medical complex is set to open in 2009. At least 3 new apartment complexes are opening within 1-2 miles of these hospitals, and I would assume rent for a 3 bedroom would be just over $1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin