Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:49 AM

132 posts, read 542,121 times

Advertisements

Regarding the Toll Brothers homes in Alta Vista. Take my word for it, the roofs have not been engineered to the proper specifications for the tile roofs. Its a huge on going problem in the neighborhood regardless of what the sales counselor tells you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:16 AM

31 posts, read 117,165 times
We too have young children and were debating between a home in Alta Vista and one in Falcon Head. LT Schools, kid friendly, nice current residents (we met a few of the current residents in both areas) seemed to be a wash. Alta Vista has the better hill country views, especially when you first drive in the main entrance. We ended up purchasing a home here because the materials and build quality seemed to be superior. The final decider was our Alta Vista home had a similar floorplan as our current home (which we love) and a full daylight basement which we currently have as well. Where hoping these two aspects will make our relocation from the east coast less stressful.

I dislike the term "McMansion" to describe the homes in these neighborhoods but after reading the Wikipedia definition and bullet points I see where the description may fit :-(. However I will say that the Alta Vista home's masonry construction is complete and not substituted anywhere with lesser materials on the sides, rear, or even the upper eave space! A couple of my more architectreal minded colleagues have been impressed with the structutral reinforcement used to build and support our 100% brick home.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 6,695 times
Default The Preserve at Lakeway

Finding the right home in Lakeway really depends on your family's needs. If you have kids, The Preserve at Lakeway probably isn't a good choice. The views are great, the neighborhood small and friendly and it is very convenient. However, even though Lakeway Elementary is actually closer, kids in kindergarten through 5th grade are pushed into Lake Travis Elementary. The school's rating speaks for itself and the demographic facts tend to hold true no matter where you may be in the Greater Austin area.
For instance. Lake Travis has 266 Hispanic kids and 266 economically disadvanted kids. While I'm certain that all 266 economically disadvantaged kids are not Hispanic, the vast majority are. Statistics and tons of research consistently indicate that kids from poorer households tend to perform worse academically. Do you really want your child stuck in a classroom with half of the kids underperforming and slowing down your child's progress?
The two schools rated the worst in the Lake Travis ISD are Lake Travis Elementary and Hudson Bend Middle School. If you have a child just about to start Kindergarten, are nice views and a quite neighborhood enough to offset 9 years of mediocre, at best, education?
Well, if you choose to buy in the Preserve at Lakeway, that's exactly what you're looking at. It's really sad, because we found a home we fell in love with at The Preserve, but just could not sacrifice our children's future. We ended up near Spicewood and our kids are currently attending Bee Caves Elementary and will go to Lake Travis Middle School. Both are significant upgrades.
You won't see many kids playing out in the streets or riding their bikes up and down the streets of The Preserve and I'm pretty sure I've laid out the reasons why.
No kids and no plans on having any kids? It's a beautiful place to live and you will definitely enjoy the serenity of the area and the conveniences of being in the Heart of Lakeway.

Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM

23 posts, read 54,532 times
Hey Lakeway LOCAL:

Thanks for this info. I just posted a new thread as this thread was quite old and I think that your insight is great.

Thanks.

Where exactly did you choose to buy your home ?

Old 07-05-2010, 05:28 PM

27 posts, read 67,074 times
Senna Hills is very nice, and has the Eanes schools. Falconhead is also nice. Have you thought about Steiner Ranch? Taylor Morrison is an exceptional builder.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:26 AM

23 posts, read 54,532 times
Looked at homes in Senna Hills and Steiner Ranch and are about the same price range when comparing apples to apples.

So if all else equal, I rather chose to be closer to work and be in Lakeway area.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

thanks !

Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKEWAYLOCAL View Post
Finding the right home in Lakeway really depends on your family's needs. If you have kids, The Preserve at Lakeway probably isn't a good choice. The views are great, the neighborhood small and friendly and it is very convenient. However, even though Lakeway Elementary is actually closer, kids in kindergarten through 5th grade are pushed into Lake Travis Elementary. The school's rating speaks for itself and the demographic facts tend to hold true no matter where you may be in the Greater Austin area.
For instance. Lake Travis has 266 Hispanic kids and 266 economically disadvanted kids. While I'm certain that all 266 economically disadvantaged kids are not Hispanic, the vast majority are. Statistics and tons of research consistently indicate that kids from poorer households tend to perform worse academically. Do you really want your child stuck in a classroom with half of the kids underperforming and slowing down your child's progress?
The two schools rated the worst in the Lake Travis ISD are Lake Travis Elementary and Hudson Bend Middle School. If you have a child just about to start Kindergarten, are nice views and a quite neighborhood enough to offset 9 years of mediocre, at best, education?
Well, if you choose to buy in the Preserve at Lakeway, that's exactly what you're looking at. It's really sad, because we found a home we fell in love with at The Preserve, but just could not sacrifice our children's future. We ended up near Spicewood and our kids are currently attending Bee Caves Elementary and will go to Lake Travis Middle School. Both are significant upgrades.
You won't see many kids playing out in the streets or riding their bikes up and down the streets of The Preserve and I'm pretty sure I've laid out the reasons why.
No kids and no plans on having any kids? It's a beautiful place to live and you will definitely enjoy the serenity of the area and the conveniences of being in the Heart of Lakeway.
I'm sorry but your post reflects a very shallow view of the education available in schools with more diversity.

Lake Travis Elementary is the designated elementary campus in LTISD for bilingual education. LTE's TEA ratings are lower because of worse overall performance. Some of economically disadvantaged students do not do nearly as well as others.

But if you look at the TEA data, 96% of white students at LTE meet or exceed math requirements. 99% of caucasian students met the Reading targets. 96% of the economically disadvantaged students met the Reading targets - an impressive achievement.

Look at the other LTISD campus data and form your own conclusions. I think the child of a family that values education will do very well at Lake Travis Elementary or Hudson Bend Middle School. It might prove to be an ultimately more rewarding education - not "mediocre, at best" as said above.

2009 AYP District Data Tables
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin