Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 02:21 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I read that article in Sundays paper about John Dromgoole. He HATES St. Augustine grass (as do I). He says if you let it go dormant it does die, it has to have water. Like atxcio says, however, you can change that if you let it stay long, meaning don't cut it short. I just personally don't like St. Augustine grass. It's not good for the area and it isn't soft on the feet like drought tolerant grasses.
John Dromgoole's nursery, the Natural Gardener on the west side of town, is an excellent resource. It's pretty much all native or plants that thrive in this area, you can go there and see landscaping that remains green throughout any droughts we get. No artificial watering necessary. They'll set you up with stuff that is basically like xeriscaping, but without the typical gravel look that scares the neighbors. You can get grasses, ground cover, shrubs, flowering plants, etc that will be low maintenance and make a great looking yard.

Also, re: St Augustine... I water 1 time a week, on an even day per restrictions, for about 12 minutes per zone. In the front, where I mow once every two weeks, I'll water the day that I mow. That's when the grass is most likely to die without water. The back yard I let grow tall, and that requires watering *maybe* once every two weeks. If I'm having guests or a BBQ, I'll mow the back for the occasion and have a nice lawn, then let it go back to tall (and drought-tolerant.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 03:02 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
John Dromgoole's nursery, the Natural Gardener on the west side of town, is an excellent resource. It's pretty much all native or plants that thrive in this area, you can go there and see landscaping that remains green throughout any droughts we get. No artificial watering necessary. They'll set you up with stuff that is basically like xeriscaping, but without the typical gravel look that scares the neighbors. You can get grasses, ground cover, shrubs, flowering plants, etc that will be low maintenance and make a great looking yard.
Exactly. That's the gist. Xeriscaping in the generic sense of "more variety, less maintenance, less water". Ground cover is the key. A "green" base without having to mow

Old 06-30-2008, 04:05 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
We have St. A, but our yard is shady, so we don't have to do too much watering.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:21 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I think you also have to train it by deep watering. Again, repeating atxcio We've been putting drought tolerant plants in our landscaping and so far, noone's complained...

Old 06-30-2008, 11:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,292,168 times
I need to do something with my yard. St. Augustine (which is actually a coastal grass) is the WORST grass EVER for this area! It has absolutely zero drought tolerance and needs tons of water, yet it's very popular around here for some reason. I've noticed my lawn being taken over by Bermuda as it's surviving in the lack of water/shade. Maybe I'll just let it overtake the St. Augustine and be done with it.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,532 times
Here in Shenzhen, finished the raining month.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:19 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I need to do something with my yard. St. Augustine (which is actually a coastal grass) is the WORST grass EVER for this area! It has absolutely zero drought tolerance and needs tons of water, yet it's very popular around here for some reason. I've noticed my lawn being taken over by Bermuda as it's surviving in the lack of water/shade. Maybe I'll just let it overtake the St. Augustine and be done with it.
jread, did you see your property before the lawn was installed? I'm asking because more times than not grass will just be plopped down on the existing soil. I have a feeling that's what happened in your case because you talk about how hard the soil is. The proper way of installing a lawn is to till first and then bring in good top soil before putting the grass down. Then it must be established with frequent, deep watering until the roots take hold.

I have St. Augustine and don't have any problem at all with it. Granted, I probably have more shade than you do and I live in a different part of town. But, I never have to water more than once a week and, of course, I don't have to water at all this week since we actually got rain!

It's been said before, but grass needs deep watering. If you water for just a few minutes, you are simply wetting the blades and not watering the roots. The grass will look wilted and bluish/grayish in color late in the afternoon, telling you it's thirsty, but if it looks okay in the morning, you still don't have to water it. Wait until it's looking wilted in the morning. Also, St. Augustine must be mowed at the highest setting on your lawn mower. But, you also shouldn't let it get so high that you are removing more than a third of the blade when you mow.

That's it for my grass rant. I really do have experience with this and actually did grass studies in college. Talk about watching the grass grow.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Regarding the 'xeriscaping' - it can just add to the heat island effect and, to me, it looks so unnatural around here.

This comment is puzzling, in that a large part of xeriscaping is using plants that are natural to the area and its water resources and thus will thrive there. It's not at all about putting down a rock lawn and calling it done - it's about selecting landscaping plants and grasses that do not require a lot of care or water but are still pretty (and there are a jillion of them in this area).

So how could a lawn made up of the grasses and plants that are native to this area look "unnatural around here"? Color me confused! What do you mean by that?

Old 07-01-2008, 07:54 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Sorry, THL, I was thinking of the xeriscaping in El Paso, which involves nothing but rock and cacti. I realized my error a few posts later, but was hoping it would go unnoticed or forgotten

Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 AM

124 posts, read 563,921 times
Natural Gardener is fab! They have beautiful gardens to look at for inspiration and the people are so helpful.

My favorite xeric plant... Rosemary! It loves heat and little water. Some water, but not tons. And it grows fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin