Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2007, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 13,394 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
My partner and I are planning to move to the Austin area within the next few months. We are going to visit next weekend but would love any input for you all.
Is there trouble in Leander? How is Cedar Park to Live (crime wise and liberally) and how about ROund ROck. We would like a safe, gay friendly place not too far of a commute to Austin and have narrowed it down to these two towns. We have $130k to spend for a house.
ANY ADVICE would be so appreciate.
Be Well,
Erika and Tami
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 11:51 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,095 times
I think if you need to commute to downtown, Leander is a bit farther out. You're better off focusing on Cedar Park and Round Rock. My vote would be for CP just because you get to avoid I-35 and there's a bit more topography in Cedar Park. RR is a bit flatter. But if that's not important to you, then not a big deal I also sent you a PM with my ramblings about Cedar Park - I live about 5 minutes away.

Good luck with your home search and welcome to Austin!

Old 01-14-2007, 12:06 PM

Thank you so much for the information esp on the PM. Your help is priceless as we are so far away and unfamiliar with the area. With Great Thanks,
e & t

Old 01-14-2007, 12:49 PM

49 posts, read 138,497 times
do you have kids ? I'm trying to find help for my son who has mild pdd /autism and wishing to find a group of people who are working together with there kids to give them all the help they need ,anyway like Gigi said ,if you have to go to austin everyday its a drive on 183 .anyway good luck

Old 01-14-2007, 05:08 PM

no, we don't have any kids, sorry. but good luck with your search for a good group. I'am sure you'll find one and if not you can begin one yourself.
Be Well
`e

Old 01-15-2007, 11:13 AM

122 posts, read 180,062 times
I would say round rock but Leander is nice. I think their is a larger gay community in round rock but its all apart of Austin so i really dont think it matters. I have had a couple gay clients and they all purchased in round rock. Not strange because they were all referrals from the same couple.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:15 PM

5 posts, read 19,447 times
Smile Cedar Park!

My family and I just moved to Cedar Park and out of the three towns you mentioned I think Its probably the best. Before we got our house we were staying with in-laws i Round Rock and the commute was much worse for my husband then it is now in Cedar Park. In Leander you will definately have the worst commute. With all the plus and minuses we decided on Cedar Park. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:18 PM

30 posts, read 137,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnewbie View Post
My family and I just moved to Cedar Park and out of the three towns you mentioned I think Its probably the best. Before we got our house we were staying with in-laws i Round Rock and the commute was much worse for my husband then it is now in Cedar Park. In Leander you will definately have the worst commute. With all the plus and minuses we decided on Cedar Park. Good luck!
Can you elaborate on the pros and cons of the Cedar Park area for me please. We are also moving to the Austin area this summer and have narrowed the field down to either Cedar Park, Round Rock, Kyle, or Austin itself. Thanks so much!

Old 01-26-2007, 12:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,192 times
While I have had to really adjust to how spread out Austin and the surrounding suburbs are... (and how you have to take so many different freeways, which all have at least 2 different names... and ... and...) I have to say - Cedar Park seems REALLY far out there to me. Quite a drive. I suppose it's relative to where you will travel most though.

We have family in Round Rock, and my husband now works in RR, so - it's a no brainer that we live here too.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,084 times
Honestly? If I didn't have kids I would try as hard as possible to live in the city, or at least on the southern suburbs versus the northern. I have found that people tend to be more conservative and religious up here in the northern 'burbs (one of the reasons we want to move closer to the city or south of the city) and while, of course, conservative and religious does not automatically equal more close minded, I personally think it ups the odds (but that is coming from a Unitarian liberal!)

You could get a smaller house in SW Austin for that price, I imagine. You also don't want to commute into the city from the north suburbs, my dh and I do it every day and it's a colossal pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin