Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:38 AM

105 posts, read 665,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingmyheart View Post
I can't stand to see people strangling by their own safety nets, yet will never step out of the box....
I have never heard it put better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM

38 posts, read 122,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by followingmyheart View Post
... I can't stand to see people strangling by their own safety nets, yet will never step out of the box. "One of the greatest feelings in life is the conviction that you have lived the life you wanted to live--with the rough and the smooth, the good and the bad--but yours, shaped by your own choices, and not someone else's."--Michael Ignatieff. DON'T LIVE YOUR LIFE WITH REGRETS. FAILURE, TO ME, MEANS NEVER TRYING AT ALL.
Great post!!! I'm about to step out of my box and leave my safetly net behind at 28 and you've just added to my reassurance that this is the right thing to do so thanks!!! I tried to do it a couple years ago but for a man (and let me add a man 14 years older than I so all hope is not lost Loose Cannon)... anyway I wasn't ready and so not in the right frame of my mind... I've learned so much over the last few years and now I'm ready to take a huge leap out of my box! Wish me luck! And I'll see ya'll in Austin in a couple of months!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:12 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
To anyone who is struggling with making this decision:

You can never run from who you are(nor should you). You take your baggage and scars with you wherever you end up. HOWEVER, changing things up can bring you new perspective on yourself, your goals, and the people/things that matter most. We tore ourselves out of a very, very comfortable situation last year(I just turned a young 40 and my wife is 37) and while we miss the folks we left behind, it's really turned out to be the best decision we could have made. Of course nothings perfect - it's important to keep your expectations realistic - but we're finding ourselves up to the challenge, and that's been reassuring.

As an artist-type, my creativity has been through the roof, having stripped myself of most of my familiar avenues and networks. Doing this causes one to re-evaluate your viewpoints, access your weak/strong points and formulate new strategies. It just forces you to try new things which is very important(to me).

I think having a sense of wonderment and adventure is the key to keeping things fresh. Adults tend to lose this as they get older and jaded to the ever-foolish world. It's one of the hardest qualities to maintain as we age. Be open to new ideas and you'll most likely have a successful relocation.

Good Luck!

Old 07-18-2008, 04:03 PM

12 posts, read 38,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanwannabe View Post
What a great post, Following my Heart!
Thank you, Texanwannabe! I can come up with some really good stuff if somebody would pay me to be a motivational speaker/bartender...hee hee.

--Sorry, I don't know how to include the original posts in my replies...hel+, I'm new to this whole posting thing so I'll have to learn how to keep up with my techy friends on here!--

Twange~ great post! You're so right...and don't forget nothing is handed to you...you have to have the ballz to go after it...and most importantly...you have to believe in yourself. When you and your wife left everything and moved to Austin, what was the worse thing that could have happened? No job? No house? No friends? It takes time, but being in a new place and not knowing diddly forces you to man up (or in my case, gal up). I personally love challenges. And you knew that if things weren't ever going to come together, you could always go back to the box of security you moved from. Good luck to you and your wife!

Pilotskid27~ Thank you! Maybe I'll start a motivational greeting card line! (always the entrepreneur). Speaking of which, I think the first step to becoming an entrepreneur is learning how to spell the word....

Marisa7~You go for it girl!!!! Hey, Marisa...maybe when you get to Austin you could give Loose Cannon a call for cocktails...40 is totally doable!! Ha Ha!!!

And finally, last but certainly not least, to Loose Cannon~GREAT thread to start....your honesty is rare and appreciated! I always think that the millions of people who are laid off from their lifetime jobs shouldn't be freaked out...hel# yes it's scary not to have that security anymore, but now they have opportunities to do what or live where they will be truly happy. My father was 65 years old and had been working in the hotel catering business for over 50 years when he was laid off. He collected social security checks, unemployment checks, and re-painted the same bedroom a hideous lilac color (no roller, just a paint brush) three times. I couldn't take it anymore and told my boss at Marriott Catering Services at Georgetown University that I quit and he should hire my father to replace me. That was about 20 years ago or so. My boss hired my dad, I got a better paying job elsewhere, my father won 'employee of the year' for 7 years straight, and my father would have never had the gutts to apply at my company, and my company certainly wouldn't have ever sent him an offer of employment letter, and to this day, my dad was the older employee ever hired by Marriott Corp. Too cool for school!

^Chapter 12 in my Novel^. I've lived (and continue to live) a very "juicy" life! If I weren't going through this men-o-pause thing I would have the concentration to write a screenplay....I keep forgetting where I left my steno pad...yuk yuk.

P.S. Loose Cannon, it's like I said above, hey, 40 is totally doable for a 28 yr. old gal and a 47 yr. old gal as long as the manboob thing isn't happening...oh, I'm sorry...you don't do older women. I wish you the best of the best!

Hope I didn't leave anybody out...not my intention. And now for an update: I will again be selling my house and leaving everything and everybody behind to move to Austin and start all over AGAIN at 48!!! EEK! But this time I won't be alone....I'm taking my 7 rescue pups, macaw and two aquatic turtles with me. I had a post a few months ago asking about places to live that had at least 5 acres and learned quite a bit about ag exempt tax advantages, by the responders! Thank you! I'm in the process of qualifying for a 501(3)(c) non profit rescue. The packet of instructions on how to fill out the application is 26 pages long. The actual application I believe was originally printed in the New Testament, of which I haven't been able to read either. Any business lawyers on here that can offer help or advice? Anybody know of a 'special needs' dog that needs to be rescued? I'm talking about the four-legged kind right now...I'm sure I'll run into the other kind once I'm out there. Sorry, couldn't resist!

Thanks for reading another chapter! Keep the encouraging words rolling on the screen!

Old 07-18-2008, 06:27 PM

24 posts, read 86,043 times
To following my heart...Seems like you can get some advice on filling out the paperwork from another rescue group...surely they can offer you advise. If you are still in SD there is a fantastic dog rescue out in east county. if you're interested in seeing it or talking to them let me know and I will get the info.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:43 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,371,410 times
I will be 47 in Sept and not thinking twice about uprooting all that I've known and moving to Austin where there are no family or close friends. I will be all alone, but am hoping to make friends. I have adored Austin for so long that it is finally time to make the move.

I know I will be homesick, but I plan on giving it over a year to get settled and adjust to new surroundings. I don't understand when people post things like ....."I was so homesick after the first month, so I packed everything up and moved back home"... That is so unfair to the new city. It wasn't even given a good college try!

Hey bartender, (Followingmyheart) maybe I'll run into you at some honky tonk in Austin!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin