Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 AM

212 posts, read 1,076,609 times

Advertisements

So, when I moved here a buddy of mine who spent time in San Antonio warned me I was moving to the area of the "land of the worst drivers in America."

I laughed it off, we had both spent years living in Utah and I couldn't fathom worse drivers anywhere than Utah.

Turns out he was right. In the 6 months I've lived here I've seen 7 accidents happen right in front of me, including one near fatality (still not sure how that one turned out).

What is up with all the bad drivers here? Every wreck was on a full sunny day and I could see each one happen in slow motion, most were collisions from behind by drivers following too close, going too fast and not paying attention.

On Christmas day a woman not paying attention in a Mini Cooper was T-Boned by a Toyota truck right in front of me under I-45 in Round Rock. My wife and I were the first ones on the scene, the woman was trapped and going unconscious. Luckily her young son (6 ish) was ok in the passenger seat. I still can't get the image out of my head and we wonder if she made it. They were still cutting her out of the car 30 minutes after the wreck. Our 3 young children were in the car and saw it all happen, they now are much quieter when we drive around and don't have to be asked to buckle up.

Yesterday right next to me on I-35 I watch as 3 cars slam into each other missing my car by inches, this is the 3rd time in the same place I have seen this accident play out since moving here. I am a much more alert driver here now.

What is the deal with all the accidents? No wonder my car insurance is so much more. Over the last 33 years I've witnessed maybe 2 other minor accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM

260 posts, read 1,331,414 times
Have you ever driven in Memphis? That can be quite a challenge as well.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:47 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
So, when I moved here a buddy of mine who spent time in San Antonio warned me I was moving to the area of the "land of the worst drivers in America."

I laughed it off, we had both spent years living in Utah and I couldn't fathom worse drivers anywhere than Utah.

Turns out he was right. In the 6 months I've lived here I've seen 7 accidents happen right in front of me, including one near fatality (still not sure how that one turned out).

What is up with all the bad drivers here? Every wreck was on a full sunny day and I could see each one happen in slow motion, most were collisions from behind by drivers following too close, going too fast and not paying attention.

On Christmas day a woman not paying attention in a Mini Cooper was T-Boned by a Toyota truck right in front of me under I-45 in Round Rock. My wife and I were the first ones on the scene, the woman was trapped and going unconscious. Luckily her young son (6 ish) was ok in the passenger seat. I still can't get the image out of my head and we wonder if she made it. They were still cutting her out of the car 30 minutes after the wreck. Our 3 young children were in the car and saw it all happen, they now are much quieter when we drive around and don't have to be asked to buckle up.

Yesterday right next to me on I-35 I watch as 3 cars slam into each other missing my car by inches, this is the 3rd time in the same place I have seen this accident play out since moving here. I am a much more alert driver here now.

What is the deal with all the accidents? No wonder my car insurance is so much more. Over the last 33 years I've witnessed maybe 2 other minor accidents.
This is amazingly similar to my own experiences here. I have been driving for 25 years and never seen such carnage, first-hand, close-up as I have in my 6 months in Austin.

What's going on here? Is it the big-truck mentality, over-powered vehicles in untrained hands? Cell-phone distraction? It is really worrying.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 AM

It could also be the fact that there are so many transplants here used to driving in other areas and trying to mix all of those driving styles on one road. Not to mention Austin is a young city with an average resident age of 30.9 years old (Money Magazine).

Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
hts

762 posts, read 2,163,368 times
You guys have obviously never driven in/around DC. *We* have the monopoly on the country's worst drivers. Except for Boston--they're terrible in Beantown.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:02 AM

I've been in a cab in DC. That was enough for me!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:07 AM

212 posts, read 1,076,609 times
True, haven't been to Boston or DC so I guess I'm biased. A coworked from Boston's motto was "Blinkers are a sign of weakness..." But still, it's interesting to see others have had similar experiences here.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GANKS View Post
True, haven't been to Boston or DC so I guess I'm biased. A coworked from Boston's motto was "Blinkers are a sign of weakness..." But still, it's interesting to see others have had similar experiences here.
That's funny! my father lived in Boston for several years and he said the exact same thing!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:22 AM

216 posts, read 996,259 times
Default solid white line

The biggest problem I've had to deal with the drivers here is that most will absolutely ignore the fact that a solid/continuous white line means do not cross.

I can't begin to tell you how frustrating it is to drive and indicate to exit when there is a dotted white line only to see 5 cars enter over the continous line and zoom past me.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:32 AM

135 posts, read 736,159 times
Whenever I go to Los Angeles to visit family I feel my life is always on the line when on the road. One of my friends from there came here to visit and kept saying I drive to slow and I was doing 5 over the speed limit! She also told me that whenever she sees out of state plates she goes out of her way to cut those people off and scare them. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin