Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,050 times

Advertisements

Not all Montessori schools are created equal. There's quite a variation. But this doesn't mean parents can't find fantastic Montessori schools in the Austin area. There are several. To know what to look for, check out the book Montessori Madness! A Parent to Parent Argument for Montessori Education. It's an entertaining read and discusses why great Montessori schools do the seemingly crazy things they do. It is available at [URL="http://www.montessorimadness.com"]www.montessorimadness.com[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,050 times
Default Montessori

Not all Montessori schools are created equal. To find what to look for, check out the book Montessori Madness! A Parent to Parent Argument for Montessori Education. It is an entertaining read and discussed the reasons why great Montessori schools do the seemingly crazy things they do. It's available at [URL="http://www.montessorimadness.com"]www.montessorimadness.com[/URL]

Old 04-11-2010, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,967 times
Default Smart steps montessori

Hi Everyone.

Check this out. Its home based full Montessori, very selective, yet rates are also very competitive.

Smart Steps Montessori - Homepage

Old 04-22-2010, 09:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,669 times
We had our child in Cedar Park Montessori and chose to withdraw due to an almost year long battle with the director over communication issues. The issues were she didn't see the benefit in informing us about our child's day or schedule or curriculum - despite numerous requests and conferences, and her promises to inform us- never materialized. Also, had issues with lead teachers and assistant teachers not following discipline/safety policy. I would not recommend this school to anyone!

Old 10-05-2010, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,487 times
I would give more than 5 stars if it were possible, but all I can do instead is express my feelings about this amazing Montessori school. I do not take reviewing any establishment lightly, as I know I use reviews when I am making a decision that is important. I feel honesty is important when putting anything on the internet, as it becomes public record. Here is my list of amazing things about the school.

1. The Director is refreshing in her honesty and her communication style. She is an astute observer, who truly listens when being spoken to and gets to the point when speaking. I have observed her having a discussion with my child, after my child requested a meeting with her to talk about the requirements for moving up a level. The director spoke directly to my child, set a meeting time, followed through and answered the questions my child wrote down in a notebook. This is a child focused response and that is what I expect as a Montessori invested parent. We were not invited to the meeting, because it was about my child's needs, not ours. My child walked away from the meeting feeling educationally empowered and important to the director of the school. The Director made a huge difference in my child's life with one meeting, and MADE THE TIME to do it. This kind of response was never given at the other schools. We could not have asked for anything more. There is an old saying about "walking the talk." I truly believe that she walks the Montessori talk.

2 The Guide- Our child's guide is wonderful and has the right personality for the job. She communicates DAILY about our child's school life, even if it is one small detail. The communication has been so good, in fact, we did not feel we needed to have the first conference, as we were left with nothing to ask. Our child has had conversations with the guide about needing new lessons and the guide acted on that request with 2 lessons that same day. Our child asked to be woken up from nap in order to work, and again the guide responded immediately, which is a child focused response. Our child has stated, "I love my new school, because my teacher challenges me!" How many children under the age of 5 say that to their parents?

3. The Communication- Every day I see posts on various groups talking about the "lack of communication" at their child's school. I can say in all honesty that we are very, very, very happy with the level of communication we have with the entire staff at C.P.M. We have a daily chat with the guide, the director's door is ALWAYS open, unless there is a meeting and I have on several occasions popped my head in the door and asked, "Do you have a minute?" The answer has always been, "Yes, come on in!" We received a monthly report on our child's progress, which was reviewed and signed by the director. I do not know of any other Montessori school in the area that does this. I do not know of any other director, who takes the time to observe each classroom on a regular basis, but who can tell you something about your individual child's progress. It makes a huge difference to us and to my child.

4. The Assistants- At drop off, my child is greeted with a warm smile EVERY day and a small chat. I drive away with a huge smile on my face because their attitudes are contagious, and I see how happy my child is to be there. I am greeted the same way, consistently and it makes a difference to me as a parent walking into the building. I feel welcomed.

Wait, I just thought of a negative thing! The ONLY negative thing about Cedar Park Montessori is the program does not go through High School. If it did, it would make me even happier, as we plan on being there all the way through the elementary program. I hope this review helps you get a feel for the school. I hope if you are looking for a warm, yet academically focused school, you will schedule a tour. We are so blessed to be there.

Thanks for reading!

A Happy Montessori Mom

Last edited by Bo; 10-07-2010 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Edited out names at OP's request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin