Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:48 AM

389 posts, read 1,630,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I read it. I actually read it back when I was doing research for defending my ag exemption.

Thus, if you read the steps in the article you attached and then posted, filling out the application is NOT the first step. The first step is to get the land in ag production to the intensity common to the area and keep it that way for the required period of time , and to make sure you're doing that correctly and not wasting any time/money/energy, it's useful to talk to the extension agent. After you've been doing that for five years, THEN you fill out the application.
That's correct; assuming you have not been meeting either definition for the requisite lengths of time. Also, the "intensity" requirement is not part of 1-d if one chooses to go that route. It also only takes 3 years rather than 5.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:04 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,392,902 times
Well, the OP stated that he wanted the first step to start the "(long) ag exemption process" (his words). I read that to mean that he hadn't put the land into the kind of use that would qualify, but I could, indeed, be wrong on that one. OP?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 AM

389 posts, read 1,630,984 times
Quote:
Well, the OP stated that he wanted the first step to start the "(long) ag exemption process" (his words). I read that to mean that he hadn't put the land into the kind of use that would qualify, but I could, indeed, be wrong on that one. OP?
If it were me, I'd want to see how detailed the TCAD satellite image of my property was and then I'd determine what I may or may not have been using the land for for the past several years.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:47 AM

You need to talk to your county agent and perhaps your county ag appraiser. It sounds like whoever told you that was talking about a 1.d.1 wildlife management ag, but if that's the case,the property needs to have its ag for five years before it can convert to wildlife management.

Does this not qualify for a Religious Organization Property Tax Exemption?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,627,381 times
Quote:
Does this not qualify for a Religious Organization Property Tax Exemption?
I was curious about this too, but after a (albeit brief) look at the laws, it looks like it probably cannot. The exempt property for churches looks like it is pretty much limited to the place of worship and associated parking lots. There are some other restrictions, too, which would limit the commercial use (such as hunting) even if the other criteria were met.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:19 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,735 times
So what is the purpose of the ag exemption anyway? Do other productive uses of land get similar incentives?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM

For example?

Old 11-11-2008, 10:33 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,734,735 times
Quote:
For example?
I don't know maybe a junk yard, wind farm, metal fabricator, or some other light industrial. It's always an advantageous thing for stakeholders such as taxpayers to question the benefits of economic incentives. For example, Austin Prop 2 was such a question.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:13 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,377 times
Default No Equity

I didnt see anywhere if you plan a house on the property, or if there is one or not, but one thing to be aware of, you cannot use ANY equity of a house on AG exempt land! Period. If you ever need a home equity loan, or want to re-finance and cash out. etc, You cant.
You would need to survey out, and re-plat the home and the homestead its on, complete with its own parcel number...and re-apply for the AG since the affected parcel changed, so do it right the first time, keep a house and homestead utterly separate if you think you might ever need its equity.
(of course, with banking the way it is, perhaps a box in the barn is a safer bet for youre money!)

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I have 20 acres in the city and want to start the (long) ag exemption process. Any suggestions on how to begin?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:28 AM

In Williamson, if you have a house on the land, that house and one acre are automatically considered to not qualify for ag exemption. In fact, there was some uproar recently because they were automatically assuming that one acre was going to have a house on it (even if there were no plans to do so) and taxing one acre randomly at market value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin