Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 9,610 times

Advertisements

Researching neighborhoods in Austin area. My husband works from home so commute is not an issue. Except occasional trips to airport. We have two children ages 3 and 5. Looking in the 400-mid 500 price range.

Would like:
1.privacy
2. access to bike/jog paths
3. family friendly neighborhood
4. not too far way from great restaurants and shopping.

Seems like the west and south west areas are where we would be looking. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:09 AM

675 posts, read 1,904,703 times
I'd highly recommend the newer areas of Villages of Western Oaks. (Exit Davis off Mopac). Very close to hiking trails off Beckett (across the street from Dick Nichols Park), trails at the Westcreek caves preserve (on Davis). Then a little south/west is the Circle C Metropolitan Park, which has beautiful hiking trails, soccer fields, shady park/ playground area, a creek, etc. At Slaughter and Escarpment is the Escarpment Village with great restaraunts like Waterloo Icehouse and Satellite Bistro and Mangier's Pizza. (All local Austin places), and a new HEB/ Central Market hybrid grocery store. I think you'd be really happy living just to the north of the Escarpment Village shopping center, between Davis and Slaughter. The houses are all newer (built in the 2000s).

A little more pricey houses, and bigger/ nicer exist in Alta Mira section of Circle C. It's a super nice neighborhood but it's not all that close to everything. I like how close in the Villages of Western Oaks is.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
I'd highly recommend the newer areas of Villages of Western Oaks. (Exit Davis off Mopac). Very close to hiking trails off Beckett (across the street from Dick Nichols Park), trails at the Westcreek caves preserve (on Davis). Then a little south/west is the Circle C Metropolitan Park, which has beautiful hiking trails, soccer fields, shady park/ playground area, a creek, etc. At Slaughter and Escarpment is the Escarpment Village with great restaraunts like Waterloo Icehouse and Satellite Bistro and Mangier's Pizza. (All local Austin places), and a new HEB/ Central Market hybrid grocery store. I think you'd be really happy living just to the north of the Escarpment Village shopping center, between Davis and Slaughter. The houses are all newer (built in the 2000s).

A little more pricey houses, and bigger/ nicer exist in Alta Mira section of Circle C. It's a super nice neighborhood but it's not all that close to everything. I like how close in the Villages of Western Oaks is.
thank you for your reply. we will look into VOWO. Circle c also sounds like a popular choice here too. How far is the airport from Circle C/VOWO? That is really the only commuting my husband will need to do. Someone else also pointed out Belterra in Dripping Springs which sounded like a nice community too. We really know nothing about the area. we spent 2 days there last week and will drive through again next week on our way home to Atlanta.

We live in a very actice/social neighborhood now, which i enjoy but sometimes it can be annoying. Everyone knows everyones business and we can't invite one neighbor over without hurting another neighbor's feelings. We also can't sit in our front or backyard without being spotted by a neighbor. I guess we want the privacy to enjoy our environment alone but also be able to be social when we want to be. hope that makes sense.

Is tennis popular in these neighborhoods? That is one great thing about Atlanta. There are many recreational leagues in the sub divisions that brings people together.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:13 PM

18 posts, read 60,721 times
Hi, We live in Circle C Alta Mira. We like Circle C. But Western Oaks is nice too, lots of trees. From Alta Mira, it would take approx. 25 min depending on traffic. My husband works close to the airport area and he always says it takes him 20 min tops. From Alta Mira, it takes us 10-15 min to get to the HEB on Slaughter and restaurants (which isn't a whole lot). But we like the fact that Alta Mira is "away" from other parts of CC. You get less unwanted traffic unless you live here. 10 min to 2 parks that I can think of (with jogging trails). One is the Circle C Met, and the other is the one on Beckett (off Slaughter, I forget the name)

You mentioned privacy etc... well we are big on that too in our house, and we have a green belt behind us. So we have only 2 neighbors on either side of us to worry about. However, when you go to the front of the house, you do see neighbors obviously hanging around in the evenings. There are lots of young families here and little one's around your kids ages in our area. Everyone seems to know whats going on in the other's around here. Can be a good or bad thing depending on your personality. But you know, its not intrusive. They are nice. But unless you live on a 1.5 + acre lot then you are going to get neighbors and all that comes with it as you mentioned (choosing one over the other etc. etc.). But if you get a greenbelt lot, you can always put trees or something on that idea around either side. Except for that, its great!

HTH!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,706,914 times
I recently discovered Elliott Ranch in Buda. Just a hop and skip south of Cirlce C etc...Try looking for that on Austins craigs list. Large 1 ac +/- sites and nice houses...sounds like your $ range, too!

Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 AM

105 posts, read 665,499 times
Default Elliott Ranch

I second the suggestion of Elliott Ranch. I had never heard of it, until I went to a party there last week that was hosted by a former college roomate who had just moved there. I assumed this would be another modest house in a very rural setting --just like she has always lived in.

I couldn't have been more wrong!

The neighborhood is beautiful! The houses are similar to what you would find in Alta Mira or Circle C....only larger (at least they seemed larger) , and graciously situated on large, beautifully manicured lots.

I understand that the schools in the area are excellent, and I was really suprised by how close it was to Circle C. (Brodie Lane cuts all the way through to 1626, and it's just a hop, skip, and jump from there.)

Well worth a look!

Old 07-08-2008, 06:42 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,319 times
We have friends in Elliot Ranch who LOVE it.. theyve been there 4years now, and never want to leave. Lots of beautiful houses and yards large enough that neighbors arent within earshot..
Cheers

Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 AM

675 posts, read 1,904,703 times
btw it takes about 20-22 minutes to reach the airport from Villages of Western Oaks.

Also I'd look at Meridian.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:32 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
If you go to Realtor.com or austinhomesearch.com and type in searches for the following neighborhoods, you'll find all of the SW homes that might be good candidates for you:

78748 (Shady Hollow)

You price range is higher than you'll need for many of the homes in these areas.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 07-08-2008, 08:55 AM

351 posts, read 336,394 times
Be careful of some Dripping Springs areas ie Belterra/Highpointe as propane and water bills are very high. Dripping is a great area have many friends out that way just an FYI. I agree that Circle C, Shady Hollow, Western Oaks all are great. Very family oriented, easy acess to get anywhere lots of new resturants. We just moved from that area for the lake but I still love SW Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: