Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times

Advertisements

My house is littered with it. They stick it anywhere they can.

Then I go check the mail and find even more junk I don't want.

Phonebooks are another issue also. I don't need this many!!

I am considering hagning a No Soliciting sign on my door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 09:48 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Yep, my neighbors have a 'no soliciting/no flyers' sign on their door (can't remember exactly what is says). Anyway, it is apparently quite legal to put handbills on your door UNLESS you have a sign up. Many, though no all, of the people will honor the sign, so that helps quite a bit.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:12 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
Where can you buy a "no flyers/solicitation" sign?

Old 07-11-2008, 10:16 AM

532 posts, read 1,391,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
Where can you buy a "no flyers/solicitation" sign?
Sounds like there's a huge market for someone to stick flyers onto people's doors advertising that they make "No Solicting. Leave No Flyers Here." signs.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:10 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I would guess the local hardware/Home Depot/Lowe's would have them, but not sure. Our neighbor used his router to make one out of wood, so it did not look so ugly....

Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
Are other neighborhoods out there experiencing the serious INFLUX of door flyering lately??? This is something I never experienced living elsewhere (other areas of the country).... but it's NON STOP here (Round Rock). I have had 3 seperate people flyer more door today, and it's not even noon yet.

Most mornings, I get up and go walking with my sister, and at 5:45-6am there is nothing on my door - but when I get back, there are several!!

Attention business owners... I will never, ever use a service of a company that has created such waste on my front walkway!!
we have used many Those flyers actually have a very high rate of return it turns out so dont expect them to drop.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:00 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,016 times
Default Lowes....

Lowes have the "No soliciting" signs. I have one and I can tell you, it doesn't make any difference. Get 4 yesterday alone.
Also it seems as if people soliciting "their" religion (usually smartly dressed and in pairs) are not able to read, a matter that is sorted out fairly quickly....

Old 07-13-2008, 12:18 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Lowes have the "No soliciting" signs. I have one and I can tell you, it doesn't make any difference.
Yeah. Signs require the person you're trying to communicate a thought to with words be able to read them, properly interpret them, then comply.

Not. Going. To. Happen.

Old 07-13-2008, 01:15 PM

62 posts, read 180,120 times
Blame it on the Austin Statesman. People used to read the newspaper for ads and they were willing to pay for the news they got, but now the Austin Statesman is sooo disconnected from reality that it charges $16,000 to the city for posting voting places, it charges families for obituaries, and it charges for just about everything that used to be considered news, so people stop reading and the businesses know that no-one reads those ads anymore and so they cannot afford to waste money on newspaper ads.

And of course, the postage recently went up on bulk mail.

Austin has also made it impossible to post signs.

Solution? Set up community posting boards at intersections and allow signage to be freely posted, but have a date on which all posting is pulled down, regardless of content (like every Monday morning, for example).

You won't have to worry about unwanted posting if you have a guideline on the frame of the board: "no nudity, liquor, etc" and a size limitation, because every ad naturally has to identify the advertiser and they can easily be fined for violating city guidelines if this is made a city policy. You could also limit advertisers to one ad a month so that no-one could "hog" the board.

I think this is the best way to strike a balance between trespass/litter issues and the basic need for communication between small businesses and the general public.

Last edited by theaustinegalitarian; 07-13-2008 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: splg

Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 PM

285 posts, read 677,553 times
A pretty waste basket by the door with a sign: "Kindly place flyers here" has helped. An automatic shredder would be more efficient.

Lori
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin