Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:27 AM

10 posts, read 31,118 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, amazing web. well I am from Spain. I am 23 I studied business administration, but I want to study in the US a BS in marketing and maybe if things go well stay there, I love the US I have been there almost every year since I was 9. Now I think is time for me to make my dream come true, problem is, I dont know which place to pick in terms of young people, Quality of life, university, and friendliness.

I have been to Orlando several times and the UCF is one of my main options as they have the BS in marketing. Now I have seen that Austin Is a very good place to live for what I have read. I am interest in good weather since I hate snow storms and cold winds such as in NY and chicago( where I have also been).

Many people here have live in Orlando and Austin. I need some inputs here in terms of .

1) which city has more population and quality of life
2) Which has good real state agencies for renting
3) public transportation, as I wont have a car?
4)young people, I mean I am 23 and single, I dont want a place full of retired people or just plain old, fat, and well you know hehehe
5) Would I be accepted coming from Spain?
6)Are there bars, pubs and that kind of things young people is accostumed to doing?

The question doensn't have to be answered one by one. Just give me your two cents and that'd the job.

I have so many things to ask that I dont even know that else for the moment. I live in Madrid and life in this city is pretty stressing but cool, I dont want to go to an empty town either, and that's why ORLANDO scares me a little, the place is to widespread for the little population I could see.

So please help me pick.

Thanks a lot
Daniel

NOte: how is my english?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 07:47 AM

Any help please?

Old 07-14-2008, 08:17 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
The board is a little slow on the weekends...

I've lived in both places and I would pick Austin over Orlando. Neither has a stellar public transportation system, but you can check Capital Metro's website and see where the bus routes are and plan accordingly.

I think Austin would meet the rest of your qualifications.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Well, I'll try

Orlando probably has a larger population, but I think Austin probably has a better quality of life. Of course, this is just my opinion. My stepdad is from Florida and he left there for here due to that.

I'm sure both have good agencies for helping you find a rental.

I don't know about Orlando, but in Austin, if you have no car, you really won't be able to leave downtown at all unless you rent one or hitch a ride with someone else.

I'd pick Austin for young people. Florida is chock full of retirees. There are retirees around here, but you would be surprised at how active they are.

You could be an alien just off a spaceship and most people around Austin wouldn't care. In fact, it would probably be a bonus because people would be curious about where you came from.

You can't throw a stick and not hit a bar, club or pub in Austin. Remember, it's the live music capital here and these bands have to play somewhere

Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Well, I agree with everything love roses said except the population. The population of Orlando, according to the city-data info is 220,186 and Austin is 709,893.

Austin is definitely the bigger of the 2.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 AM

Hey guys, thanks I thought that nobody like spanish people around here hehe. Well I think the only problem would be with the car. Now Do you think it can hit me moving from a big city such as madrid to a smaller one, I mean in terms of people. I am very afraid of not getting to know young people I can be friends with. Sounds stupid but here in Madrid there is people all over the places. SO that makes me a little more comfy than being all alone.

Thanks

Any other opinons are welcome

Old 07-14-2008, 11:27 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
You would be moving to Texas...one of the friendliest States in America. Making friends is not hard to do. Nobody likes Spanish people? We border Mexico...lots of Mexican and Spanish influence all over Texas. The only problem people have is with ILLEGAL immigration, but that's really off topic, so I'll leave it alone.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:09 PM

264 posts, read 1,094,329 times
Daniel, I think you would like Austin.
If you were to live in the city proper then the transportation is not too bad (the public transportation that is).
Your English is great!! Hope you make the best choice. Oh, yes, and if you don't, don't sweat it, people move around in this country a lot, so you can always find a new place later.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:11 PM

Hi guys, thanks a lot for the help. Austin has always caught my attention, and I love country music, so that might be a plus. hehe, maybe I get to see rascal flats or brad paisley finaly or who knows faith hills. yesss. Well If anyone else recommend any other place I will greatly appreciate it.

By the way can someone give me some insights about renting? more or less how much it cost, and about food?. Just to get roughly estimates.

Sorry I just need so much information that I dont even know where to start

thanks
Daniel

Old 07-14-2008, 07:15 PM

38 posts, read 112,435 times
Public transport here will not meet your expectations. I do not know if Orlando would or not, though. The country music played here is significantly different than what you've quoted - though you might appreciate it more in the long run. Be prepared to pay $600 a month in rent, at a minimum, unless you get a roommate. Check the website craigslist.org to look for people needing roommates/renting a room. Food in America is cheap, though less so all the time. Orlando's real population is much greater than 200k -- the overall metro area is huge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin