Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 07:06 PM

132 posts, read 462,971 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Austin in September due to a job transfer. They gave me the option of working from home (in Ohio) or moving to Austin. I'm there about every 2 months with my job and absolutely love it. Born and raised in conservative, incestuous Cincinnati and can't wait to get out. Working from home is great, don't look forward to a daily commute, but it's worth the trade to have so much to do year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:36 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I saw somewhere that there was "nude bicycle day". That gave me flashback images of the inside record sleeve of "Jazz" by Queen(if you don't know, I ain't telling). Well, I just had to see for myself
While we were there this past week, we saw a guy riding a bicycle wearing only a thong.

"It's LESLIE!" I yelled, excited.

But then we looked and it wasn't! It was some young-ish-looking guy!

Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
While we were there this past week, we saw a guy riding a bicycle wearing only a thong.

"It's LESLIE!" I yelled, excited.

But then we looked and it wasn't! It was some young-ish-looking guy!
that's 'thong guy'. someone altogether different....

Old 07-19-2008, 09:17 PM

701 posts, read 2,482,574 times
"Thong Guy"? He needs a name, too, like Terry or Chris or Dana.

We came because my hubby had a mid-life crisis (his words) and wanted to move to Texas. He thought of Dallas/FW (me: :P~) or Houston (meh). I came across Austin in a knitter's blog and looked into it. Turns out Austin is full of crafty, creative people and we found lots of trees when we came to visit. Trees are great! I'd take trees over beach any day. So we left OC, CA beaches for Austin's outdoors and creative, friendly people.

We've been here for one year and 19 days and *love* it.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 AM

77 posts, read 382,582 times
Default Leaving NOLA for Austin

We are a doctor/lawyer couple who decided to retire to Austin after surviving Katrina in NOLA. Altho we were among the fortunate 20% whose home did not flood and which sustained little damage, the damage to our civic faith was far worse than we initially imagined. Both my partner/spouse (by Canadian marriage) and I have lived in NOLA since 1961 (her) and 1969 (me), made our careers here, and never intended to leave. But after Katrina -- which brought both natural and manmade disaster along with human anarachy -- we no longer felt safe.

So, since she's an unrecovering Longhorn, we took a look at Austin. Had not been in many years but came over for a first visit during the Bat Fest in
2006. Loved it! Especially since as we stepped out of our hotel near the Fest on the morning after, the area looked as if nothing out of the ordinary had occurred only hours before. It was clean! Would have taken a week in NOLA.

We purchased a home in Austin in 2007 and have been back and forth since that time, with full retirement set for 2009. What we love about Austin is finding a city that works, that people take pride in, that espouses excellence, and that rewards creativity and productivity. We feel safe here.

As a practical matter, what we looked for, aside from the obvious Longhorn Texas-Ex lifetime member's urge to return, were the following:

Warm climate
university in/near
population center sufficient to support arts/cultural amenities
medical center
diversified economy
well educated citizenry w/interest in public education
gay friendly
competent local government
progressive attitudes
within a day's drive of NOLA
out of the hurricane zone

Not many places fit those criteria. Austin does and we are delighted to be here! Went on the Austin Pond Society's Pond Tour this past Saturday and scored some good ideas for building our own when we finally get our NOLA home sold.

We will always love NOLA, and we will grieve our losses for some time, especially that indescribable feeling of place that fills the spirit after having lived in the same city for so long and shared it with all who went before. We'll miss running into folks we know everytime we go to the grocery, seeing the neighbor's kids grow up (after also watching their parents grow up), and all the little things that one absorbs just from living in the same place for 40 years. But if we're fortunate, we'll soon acquire some Austin sense of place as well -- maybe not enough time in our lives for 40 years of it, but we're sure we'll get enough to make this move worth it! So, if you see a couple of little old ladies in tennis shoes with fleur de lis overlayed on the star of Texas at your local HEB or the Bat Fest or admiring the Capitol's gorgeous stone or taking a class in the Texas Two Step (I've got two left feet), give us a holler!

Sorry for rambling on, but just had to share my perceptions on Austin so far. Yeah, a few glitches here and there, but after what we've seen, those glitches aren't even a pimple . . . .

Old 07-21-2008, 09:09 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romesq View Post
Sorry for rambling on, but just had to share my perceptions on Austin so far. Yeah, a few glitches here and there, but after what we've seen, those glitches aren't even a pimple . . . .
Great perspective, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin