Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

A little over two years ago I started to look into relocating to Texas after college. I was originally born in Texas and moved to California during 2nd grade. I started to get real sick and tired of a lot of things in California. I got married within these two years and told my wife to pick any state she wanted to move to for grad school. I am blessed to own two internet companies so I can move anywhere. Well, guess my surprise when my wife listed Texas as a possibility due to the many grad school options for social work. In June 2007, we took our first week long trip to Texas. We visited the DFW area, Waco (ONLY because of Baylor ), and Houston. For some reason we omitted Austin.

In June 2008 we came back to Texas and spent 4 days in Austin and 3 days back in the DFW area. We fell in love with Austin the moment we arrived. I met a wonderful Realtor here on City Data and she showed us all around Austin for two days. It was a blast and we just felt this is where we should be.

We went back to DFW for 3 days after our Austin trip and even though we liked parts of the DFW area, we felt that Austin was calling us. Not to mention that the social work school at UT is amazing. We met with them while we were there and my wife was thoroughly impressed with their program.

So, last week I came back to Austin for a quick 3 day trip and looked at around 14 houses. We decided on a great one story in south Round Rock off i-35, a mile or so from the Tintsletown (sp?) theaters. Today we officially signed the lease and put our deposit and first month's rent down.

On August 11th we leave San Diego and start the drive east to our new home. We are incredibly excited to move. I am happy to come back to my birth state and my wife looks forward to being a Texan. I PROMISE not to be a typical Californian transplant. We moved for much more than economical reasons and therefore are ready to embrace Texas for the beauty that it is.

Another good tidbit of news is my wife was called for an interview with a social work agency she really is excited about. They seem very interested in her and we might fly her back before we move for an interview. Although, spending $350 for 16 hours of traveling just for an interview is a little much. But, we will see how it pans out.

So, I want to thank EVERYONE, especially my Realtor from City Data, for all the help. This forum has been an amazing wealth of information and I visit every day to learn and add what little I can to the conversation. I look forward to adding my voice when I have more experience and to meeting the friendly people of Austin. Who knows, maybe we will run into each other.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-16-2008 at 06:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 05:49 AM

285 posts, read 677,819 times
Congratulations on your decision. Have a safe trip!

Lori

Old 07-16-2008, 05:38 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,736,420 times
Welcome to Texas

Old 07-16-2008, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,526 times
Exclamation Am i crazy?

I know you said you said it took you two years to decide, but...I'm also from cali, san diego in fact. As you may know school budget cuts are horrible. I've just spend 2.5 years of my life dedicated to a teaching credential program only to NOT be able to teach.

Austin sounds incredible, is it crazy to think that i can relocate within a month and get a teaching job?

What do you think?

Have two boys i would have to enroll in school, and get housing, etc...

HELP!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the greetings!

Old 07-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyann4 View Post
I know you said you said it took you two years to decide, but...I'm also from cali, san diego in fact. As you may know school budget cuts are horrible. I've just spend 2.5 years of my life dedicated to a teaching credential program only to NOT be able to teach.

Austin sounds incredible, is it crazy to think that i can relocate within a month and get a teaching job?

What do you think?

Have two boys i would have to enroll in school, and get housing, etc...

HELP!!!
Well.... from what I understand teachers are having trouble finishing jobs here because the market is is saturated (please correct me if I am wrong).

The worst thing, from what I have seen is, there is very little pay increases as times goes on. You start off Fairly high at $40k a year, but pay raises are only like $100 a year. I'd do some research on the teaching market before you jump in

I did hear from a teaching friend of mine in San Diego, that the Fort Worth school district was heavily recruiting San Diego teachers as the demographics are very similar. You might want to look into that. Fort Worth is a nice area as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin