Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:58 PM

17 posts, read 46,981 times

Advertisements

I'm finding, at least looking from far away (We're coming September 15) that the rental places were not interested in talking to me once they realized I meant middle of September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 PM

38 posts, read 122,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidranth View Post
I'm finding, at least looking from far away (We're coming September 15) that the rental places were not interested in talking to me once they realized I meant middle of September.
That's odd... I just signed for a place in an apartment complex to be available 9/15.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:53 PM

485 posts, read 1,958,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa7 View Post
That's odd... I just signed for a place in an apartment complex to be available 9/15.
A complex is a different animal. If its large, they may have enough openings to take the chance and lose a month or two on a potential lease. If you want an individual home or condo owned by one person, they aren't going to wait until Sept for you. Two-three weeks is the best time frame for that.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Also, if it's a complex that is favored by students, they're usually in a position to know far earlier than others when a vacancy is going to occur, and that'll be right around August/September.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:59 PM

Maybe its cause I am looking from Seattle?

In any case, I'll be in town August 10-13 and hope to be able to find something then.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:15 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,229,772 times
Quote:
Maybe its cause I am looking from Seattle?

In any case, I'll be in town August 10-13 and hope to be able to find something then.
Judging by MY experience, that should be fine. We found a place for August 15 (and we went July 15 - 18 to look), but I know they wanted the lease for August 1. So you MIGHT have to pay an extra 2 weeks. Hopefully not, though.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,645 times
I rented mine a month and a half in advance just to ensure I got a pick from a good selection. If you wait too long, you may not find what you want b/c it can be rented out--especially towards August when students move back. Personally I think a few weeks is doable, but not a good idea b/c then you just may have to take what's available.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Judging by MY experience, that should be fine. We found a place for August 15 (and we went July 15 - 18 to look), but I know they wanted the lease for August 1. So you MIGHT have to pay an extra 2 weeks. Hopefully not, though.
We can do that, if necessary. I'll just be relieved to have an ACTUAL address here to give people!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:59 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,229,772 times
Quote:
We can do that, if necessary. I'll just be relieved to have an ACTUAL address here to give people!
Me too. It feels really good to know that I won't be homeless in a month, heh.

The scary thing was we had to fill out all this leasing paperwork on Thursday and they didn't get back to us until MONDAY to let us know we were approved. So, we didn't hear back until we were back home. If they HADN'T approved us, we would have been screwed. So, keep that in mind as well.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 AM

6 posts, read 11,876 times
1 month is ideal. The main unknown is do they have the apt you want.
When i relocated from CA, I called around to see what was available in my price range and at that time, it was pretty easy.
I read in the papers that there is a high inventory of apt and builders are going to cut down on building them meaning good for tenants.

I went to http://www.apartmentHuntersONline.com to find mine since it gave me cash back. Helped with my move, what can i say.
The apt was doing a 1 month free special too for my apt so that was really nice!

If u can't get the date you want, consider staying at a hotel. Otherwise, try to be flexible.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin