Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinAustin View Post
I guess I'm thinking of the name Liberty Hillbillies...hahahah

Doesn't this show a certain degree of stereotyping, much like the stereotyping that is so clearly offensive above of those of differing skin color, of rural residents? Years ago, Liberty Hill was an artist's enclave; more recently, but still years ago, it was a place to build a rural retreat (expensive homes on acreage) from Austin while still being close enough to enjoy the amenities. Its school district was reknowned at one time and is still respected. None of those things fit into the "joke" above (nor do most rural residents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:41 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Doesn't this show a certain degree of stereotyping, much like the stereotyping that is so clearly offensive above of those of differing skin color, of rural residents? Years ago, Liberty Hill was an artist's enclave; more recently, but still years ago, it was a place to build a rural retreat (expensive homes on acreage) from Austin while still being close enough to enjoy the amenities. Its school district was reknowned at one time and is still respected. None of those things fit into the "joke" above (nor do most rural residents).
It was on a radio show that a woman called in FROM Liberty Hill and said they called themselves that...

Lighten up.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
It was on a radio show that a woman called in FROM Liberty Hill and said they called themselves that...

Lighten up.
I don't know, the "everybody's doing it" argument never did fly with me when I was a Mom (not that I'm not now). Plus, one woman from Liberty Hill does not a consensus make any more than one idiot yelling racial slurs does a community make (in the case of Cedar Park).

I just see a lot of this kind of thing (rural versus urban, East Round Rock versus West Round Rock, say) being excused by the very people who are appalled if someone does the same kind of stereotyping based on race, say, or gender. I figure if it's wrong, it's wrong. But your mileage may vary.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 PM

485 posts, read 1,959,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
...one woman from Liberty Hill does not a consensus make any more than one idiot yelling racial slurs does a community make (in the case of Cedar Park).
Agreed.

I assume you don't like Jeff Foxworthy.

It's a joke...and no, I don't equate a North vs South type argument urban vs. rural insults the same as calling someone a racial slur.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,573 times
Agreed, though technically if you're Hispanic it's an ethnic slur - Hispanic and Caucasian are considered the same race. I'm Hispanic and got called a lovely name when walking in DC with my Caucasian boyfriend some years ago. Feels pretty awful, no matter what your level of confidence.

That said, it's always safer to not poke fun at any group of people, even if it's meant lightheartedly. Particularly when typed out, intent can so easily be misinterpreted.

PS. I've only been here a couple of weeks but I haven't gotten any strange vibes at all thus far, either here or in the Dallas area where I just came from. In Northern Virginia on the other hand I frequently got icky looks directed at me, and occasionally when we were in NC's Raleigh area. My husband (Caucasian) always thinks I'm imagining it but I know when I'm getting that kind of look. It was one reason I was glad to move back to Texas, particularly for the sake of my eldest who is the only one who looks Hispanic. Come add to the diversity

Quote:
Agreed.

I assume you don't like Jeff Foxworthy.

It's a joke...and no, I don't equate a North vs South type argument urban vs. rural insults the same as calling someone a racial slur.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:25 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times
We're minorities here in Cedar Park, TX. Been living in the Leander and now Cedar Park area for over 10 yrs.

Cedar Park is more Caucasian, but w/ Leander and cheap cost of homes, the diversity is coming in. The Wal-mart in Cedar Park used to be bright, now it's gotten a lot darker (hint, hint).
Trust me, you'll fit in. IMHO Cedar Park is a great place to raise kids. Round Rock is preferred if you want to live w/ more to your Hispanic race.

The Diversity is here, but not like it is in Round Rock or P'ville.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:44 AM

16 posts, read 46,299 times
We live in CP and have Mexican American neighbors who are awesome and Korean Americans down the street who are also awesome. I think the diversity on our street is good for the neigborhood and also has been very educational for my young kids. I had to giggle at the drinking beer in your driveway with the door up comment. We are guilty of that, however, I hope we do it with a little class while we watch our kids play

Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,976 times
It is these types of discussions driven by biased and ignorant beliefs that only make the problem worse. Growing up in the 60s in Columbus Ga., ( a southern racist world to say the least on both sides of the fence), I saw race riots on TV, had segregation in schools, and experienced hatred outside of my home to the extreme. Fortunately I was blessed to grow up in a house that fostered respect based on the individual as a person and not their color, sexual orientation, etc. As kids, segragation mixed 70% white to black in white schools and 70% black to white in black schools and we played together, learned together, and LIVED together with minimal to no problem. Racism exists in every city in America from ALL races and is a product of ignorance, intolerance, hatred and whatever other bull**** you want to throw in. I'm proud to say I have closest friends of all races and at the end of the day I am only prejudice against onegroup of people and it is *******S and appartently there are plenty on here. Grow up, give up the past and try a kind and sincere hello to someone other then your own race you might be amazed at the difference it can make.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Still, a 16.6% Hispanic population is not insignificant. I can't imagine there would be too many problems.
Certainly not any that I have heard about.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,326 times
Lightbulb Racism in cp, tx absolutely

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeJ View Post
Hello, I am a Hispanic male who is interested in moving to Cedar Park. My wife, who is also Hispanic, and I are both professionals who work in downtown Austin. We currently reside in San Antonio, and the Cedar Park area has many of the qualities that we enjoy as we raise our child. However, I have heard that racism/racial bias as exhibited by Anglos towards people of other races is pervasive in Williamson County. We do not blare accordian music from our home, and we do not sit in our garage with the door open swilling beer all day. Additionally, as you may be able to tell from this posting, I have a certain proficiency in the English language. As such, I am writing to inquire as to whether it would be difficult, from a racial interraction perspective for my family and I to feel comfortable in Cedar Park.

I understand that racial demographics differ greatly between San Antonio and Cedar Park, but I am interested in finding out people's thoughts on racial attitudes in Cedar Park. We like the area, but are not interested in living in a place where racism would be a fact of life that we have to deal with constantly.

Any honest opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I moved to a CP neighborhood on a street that was, I thought, European and other mix of people.

I did my research prior to purchasing a CP house: was there a nearby train track, an airport, a school, rivers, lakes or creeks - which I didn't want. In addition, was this a high crime community. It has little crime and it was advertised as the best place to raise children.

I am a female of African descent who had a stage-4 brain tumor; I needed peace away from so-called humans and a home to call my own so I can recuperate without harm.

Unknown to me, I was walking into a liar where adult children of former slave traders habitat so I became a target of 100% racism. They contacted everyplace I shopped or visited: the nearby grocery store, the nearby drug store or medical building where I see the Oncologist for follow-up. They would contact these people saying negative things untruths about me. T
One "neighbor" would attempt to destroy the City water system connected to my house, he also cut my water hose and detroyed my plants which would amount up to enormous fees that could have gone to my medical care.

These "neighbors" would contact others in the neighborhood stating," if one black comes here, they will all come here. I've seen it."

Even though I have a four year degree and we have a President who is "African" and "European" descent, America continues to be as racist and ignorant country as it was in earlier days.

People who come here for a better life will be told to stay away from the "Blacks"

If I knew what the evil that shadowed this city, I would have not poured money into an ignorant and racist community such as Cedar Park, Texas. The house fooled me; The correct size yard for me. I could garden for exercise and the house has the correct interior space for me as I have vertigo, arthritis in the spine with a degenerative disc and Osteoporosis.

If you're a professional Hispanic/Mexican/Latino(a), you will have no problem in Cedar Park. You have the skin color of a European and speak the King's English nicely. You and your family will live joyfully. New homes are presently built in a new area of CP so Enjoy.

Last edited by EINSTEIN 2; 01-30-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin