Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:51 PM

509 posts, read 1,537,868 times

Advertisements

We're interested in the Preschool program at Elsass Academy in Westlake. Does anyone have any experience with them (firsthand or otherwise)?
I did a search on the forum and was not able to find anything mentioned about them. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:51 PM

17 posts, read 70,764 times
Have you visited? I signed my kids up after only seeing it on the Internet. I was impressed on-line, but I found it to be different in person. This was three years ago, though, so maybe things have changed. My eldest went to the other Elsass campus for one year and I pulled him out. Please feel free to email me if you want more specific information.

Again, please keep in mind it was three years ago.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,098 times
Both of my children attended Elsass Academy North Central and the teachers were great! The school was awesome. They had a swimming pool, gymnastics, field trips, and the academics were great! When my son went to kindergarten he was more than ready! My youngest still talks about her friends and teachers!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,359 times
Default Elsass Academy Westlake and Westlake Summer Camp- 2011

Elsass Academy Westlake
Terrible preschool. "Academy-level"? I don't think it comes even close to what I expect of a preschool calling themselves an "Academy". Absolutely awful, uncommunicative, new director. Do not recommend it.

We moved in early Spring to Austin from San Jose, CA where we left a wonderfully, caring, family-owned pre-school (ATLC). Can't recommend ATLC enough. Plan to post a positive review on Bay Area Yelp for this school. The Director, Ms. Jayne is so kind and caring. She goes out of her way to get to know the children. She truly "directs" and is involved in a "hands-on" way. She also plays the piano for them and conducts singing classes with them.

Well, we chose Elsass "Academy" primarily due to the fact that it is also family-owned/run (on paper anyway) and on the smaller side (not a "chain" school). To their credit, I think we came in at a terrible time of great transition for the school. The owners, Elsass, are not even involved in the school at all. I've never even met them. The director of 20+ years left right when we came in March due to some sort of dispute that was not divulged to the current parents. Ever since she left, the school has been in disarray according to other parents I have talked with. We chose to stay on due to limited other choices, but also because my son had a very caring teacher, ms. Sara who was mature, responsible, and also kind. She could carry-on a conversation with parents by looking us in the eyes (such a simple thing, but so many of the other so-called teachers don't even extend this common social courtesy). She would greet me and other parents along with our children by name at the morning drop-off. She would readily offer information about the upcoming schedule for the day or any events that may have happened in the previous days. Well, after 1.5 months with Ms. Sara, she abruptly quit with no reasons offered to current parents (besides moving on to new opportunities). Apparently, another dispute with the new and current director.

Since we started in March, there has been nothing but turn-over with other teachers as well. The current director is useless in my opinion. She cannot carry-on a reasonable conversation with you, the parent. She is not involved with the children in the least. She anwers my questions is a "rote" way citing what is listed on paper for the schedule of the day, the children's activities, etc. etc. However, what is listed on paper as a schedule is often not the reality of what is actually going on, I would come to find out. I regularly popped in to see how their day was progressing to find the children were just involved in endless "free play" throughout the day. When I would question it to the the Director, I would receive a myriad of excuses as to why this day was different. I was quickly labeled as "one of those moms" and dismissed. I eventually gave up even talking to them. This is supposed to be an "Academy" offering structure, lessons and learning while preparing my almost 5-year old for kindergarten. I find that they've come up completely short on all fronts.

The "graduation" from pre-school was a complete JOKE. An utter disappointed to me, the parent. They were handed "diplomas" while eating pizza sitting down! No ceremony, no cheering for their friends, no singing, no photo ops! What a sad way to end this chapter of my son's life. The final straw to break the camels back was his transition to Elsass 'summer camp' from their supposed Academy level pre-school program. Because my son is turning 5 and will enter kinder in the Fall, he has transitioned out to their version of summer camp. In my opinion, after 2-days in the program for 5-6 year olds, it is something more suitable for the 8 to 10 year old set. Not little ones just getting ready to enter kinder. The kids also have endless freeplay, under the euphemisms on the "schedule" as "Nature Discovery", "individual discovery" "creative play", "centers", and "freeplay." As far as I can tell, the only structure offered is a 45-minute swimming "lesson" and "organized sports" (I keep forgetting I am in Texas). My child is not even into playing organized sports and is already getting labeled for it (and he isn't even 5 yet!!!). Also, they watch far too much tv, in my opinion and completely age-inappropriate movies (The Princess Bride for 5 year olds!!! I mean, come on people!) My kid still loves Little Einsteins.

Honestly, this is glorified babysitting at best. This has been such a rough and somewhat sad transition to the Austin area for us. You can benefit from our experience. Do not send your child here if you are truly trying to prepare them for kindergarten or are hoping to get some sort of academic, age-appropriate structure. You will be disappointed.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM

509 posts, read 1,537,868 times
Thank you so much for all of the time and thought you put into your response. Like you, one of the things we will miss most is our daughter's preschool. My older one went there as well, so we've known the Director and Teachers for over 6 years now. During that time, there has not been even one change in personnel.

From your description, Elsass Academy is exactly what we are hoping to avoid in a preschool. Even during summer camps at our preschool, our children were never planted in front of a movie. I agree, Princess Bride (one of my faves) is a poor choice for young kids. It sounds like they have a lot of work ahead of them and are in need of a new Director. Since the Director sets the tone for the school, it's doubtful that anything will change until she is replaced with a more competent person. We'll cross Elsass off of our list. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin