Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 14,903 times

Advertisements

New to this site - love it! My wife and I are thinking about buying our first home. We're both excited and nervous about the process. I've lived in Austin for a while, so I know a lot about the area (and I worked for a TV station as a news photographer, so I'm used to traveling the city).

After a lot of looking around, we were thinking about the Avery Ranch area. We currently live in Austin, right outside of Lakeway. We like it out there, but don't think we could afford what we're looking for

With the housing market the way it is, we've discovered some value in Avery Ranch. We'd like to stay under 200k, and I've found quite a few in AR. We're in no hurry to buy either.

I was looking for feedback on the area, what are the property taxes like, schools, etc...

I have a new baby, so he won't be in school for quite a while. I'm already used to driving an hour to get to work, so I actually think it might be shorter out there. I currently take 620->bee caves road to get downtown. I leave at 6:30, so I don't think there would be that much traffic... yet

We'd like a home around 2200 sq. feet. I'm looking for a 2 car garage and a media room, while my wife wants an open kitchen and lots of natural light. AR seems to have exactly what we're looking for, and the prices seem reasonable.

I'm looking for feedback about AR, and possibly other recommendations for other areas to consider (although my wife is pretty focused on that area!) But we yearn for a neighborhood where you know your neighbors, people look out for each other, and you don't have to worry about crime - if I leave my truck unlocked, it will still be there in the morning! Or if my boy leaves his bike in the yard, it will be there!

I like this site and look forward to any feedback you can provide. We will be first time home buyers, so any advice you'd like to offer us as well will be greatly appreciated!

We're not really working with an agent either. We prefer the hit-the-streets method and look at them ourselves.

Last edited by dgamradt; 07-22-2008 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
We just ended a home search after renting for a year and we were a hair away from getting a house in AR but we just ended up buying a new build spec since we did have a relocation deadline and all the houses we saw in AR just lacked one thing and the new build had the things we needed. I know several folks that live in AR and in the Round Rock ISD and also on the LeanderISD side of things all the folks are have great things to say about the schools and I think RRISD has just built a new elem and I know Leander ISD is planning a new elem there. We ended up past the South San Gaberial River and I know lots of my neighbors, firemen on each side of me (go with 2 boys around here)and I believe so far maybe 5 or 6 law enforcement people from different areas so far so good! DM if you want to know more.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 7,320 times
Default Tera Vista is Better than Avery Ranch

I will prefer Tera Vista rather than Avery Ranch.
same distance to down town and access is very good and you can get nice price and big community, 18 hole golf court ,excellent amenities..
we just signed a house in TV and we looked AV but we found TV is lot better than AV.
Good Luck

Old 07-24-2008, 08:47 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,621 times
I live in AR and it is a real nice neighborhood, I think you'd be happy here. The schools are good (both LISD and RISD). I live in the highlands and it is pretty safe, my kids have been known to leave their bikes, scooters, ... out and they are still there in the morning.

Old 07-25-2008, 08:23 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,918 times
Just be aware of "The Palace." (Lights, noise and traffic from RRISD's huge stadium). Maybe you should drive around on a Friday night in September.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:41 PM

On those nights I should be able to get home via the 183 I suppose. It will be interesting to live through my first Texas football season.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:40 PM

225 posts, read 851,064 times
AV ranch is like TV, if you have more time explore....

Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodinvilleguy View Post
On those nights I should be able to get home via the 183 I suppose. It will be interesting to live through my first Texas football season.
We love high school football and wouldn't mind it too much. The only bad thing is RRISD built it on the Leander ISD side of the neighborhood!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 PM

230 posts, read 544,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrrmom View Post
AV ranch is like TV, if you have more time explore....

Old 07-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
We love high school football and wouldn't mind it too much. The only bad thing is RRISD built it on the Leander ISD side of the neighborhood!

Is it worth it to attend a game to see the spectacular sights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin