Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 03:26 PM

17 posts, read 64,393 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if you can offer your opinions of hospitals in the area. We will be living in Steiner Ranch and I'm expecting my second child in March. I'd like to know which hospital is considered to be the best when it comes to labor & delivery, what trauma level they are, etc.

Any info or personal experience you can offer would be very helpful! Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 PM

351 posts, read 336,575 times

This could be a heated debate... I liked Seton on 38th mostly because it was across from my ob/gyn and I was a high risk pregnancy both times. One of my closet friends chose St. David's and was happy with her care, but preferred the treatment my children had at Seton. Both of my babies spent time in NICU (1 week and 6 weeks) and at Seton they were able to have clothes and blankets from home as well as pictures of big brother and drawings he did. St. David's was more strict in this regard no personal items. Otherwise I believe St. David provides better care for the mom. I had issues with my epidural with my 1st child in that they didn't hook it up so all the good drugs ended up on the floor and I was still in pain. The second time around I went into pre-term labor due to Placental Abruption and after yelling at the nurse for an hour and half as they told me I was dehydrated they finally called my Dr. and I was in full blown labor. My husband got my Dr. on the phone and I never saw those two nurses in my room again. The pre-labor staff I found disappointing but the NICU and aftercare were amazing. Of course I am only one person in a city of 800,000 so I could be the exception. I think the Seton Northwest has the nicest rooms but is more limited in Dr.'s that deliver at the location. Congratulations and enjoy every minute as it goes by so quick!

Last edited by hal512; 07-24-2008 at 06:48 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 07:13 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
I'd be curious to know about hospitals too (particularly in South Austin). I'd especially like to know infection rates and cleanliness of the hospitals. I don't care if the doctor treats me like a slap of meat as long as I get out of there alive. (something that's seemingly harder and harder to do).

Old 07-24-2008, 09:37 PM

351 posts, read 336,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I'd be curious to know about hospitals too (particularly in South Austin). I'd especially like to know infection rates and cleanliness of the hospitals. I don't care if the doctor treats me like a slap of meat as long as I get out of there alive. (something that's seemingly harder and harder to do).
I've had three really good experiences at Seton southwest. Two for stitches and one to have a big toe practically sewn back on. None for me all my children or husband. The wait time to get in a room was maybe 20 mins., and the rooms are clean and staff very nice. Brack was great once you got in a room but the waiting room.....gross. Had it not been for the fact that I knew stitches were needed I would have left as I was afraid to catch something since many times the E.R. is used as a doctor’s office. I've heard really good things about the new children's hospital but it is a bit far and I'm hoping I don't have to go anytime soon.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
We used North Austin Medical Center and were really impressed with the staff - friendly and helpful, even though they must go through questions like we had about 100 times a day. We had some unexpected potentially serious complications that they handled very well. They have a level 4 NICU, and all level 5 issues have to go to Seton downtown, since they have the only level 5 NICU in town, I think.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,346 times
Well, regardless of what feedback you get, in the end you go where your Dr. goes.
If you have already found a dr., I would see what they suggest and also, what is close to home.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
yam

228 posts, read 887,603 times
My son was delivered at Seton Southwest. The doctor was great and the facility was great. Big rooms, ample parking, and in most cases the labor room doubles as the recovery room. Note that for major complications they'll send you by ambulance to a better equipped facility elsewhere.

Our only complaint was with company that provides their newborn hearing testing (Austin Ears and Hearing I think). We've been trying unsuccessfully for nearly a year to untangle their mess of billing errors and horrible customer service. Their BBB rapsheet shows that we're not the only ones who've had trouble with them.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:06 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdola View Post
Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if you can offer your opinions of hospitals in the area. We will be living in Steiner Ranch and I'm expecting my second child in March. I'd like to know which hospital is considered to be the best when it comes to labor & delivery, what trauma level they are, etc.

Any info or personal experience you can offer would be very helpful! Thanks in advance...
We used seton central (38th) as well. One thing to consider is where your OB has privileges. Ours was also in the NICU for 10 days and their NICU facilities were very good.

The rooms could use some updating.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:54 PM

659 posts, read 1,759,512 times
I think we're fortunate to live in a city with (mostly) good hospitals. I think you're OK as long as you steer clear of Brackenridge (a.k.a. Crap-inridge).

I've had personal experiences with Seton - good experiences, knowledgeable staff and with St. Davids - again good experiences and knowledgeable staff. You'll (of course) occasionally encounter the rogue gruff nurse who'd rather be filing in a room by themselves or the fill-in doctor who got their MD from Ecuador, but overall - you can expect a good experience no matter where you go.

Seton's facilities are a tad dated, and I don't know if you've driven by there lately, but their undergoing a massive construction project, but the doctors are still good.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM

17 posts, read 64,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
Well, regardless of what feedback you get, in the end you go where your Dr. goes.
If you have already found a dr., I would see what they suggest and also, what is close to home.

I actually haven't found an Ob-Gyn yet, so any suggestions would be most helpful!

Thank you everyone for all your info. We moved from Chicago, where we had a great hospital 3 minutes away, to Tucson, AZ where the healthcare is incredibly sub-par. I was hoping I wouldn't have to deliver here, and am so glad that I'll be delivering in Austin now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin