Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,951 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I made the decision to move from Los Angeles to Austin this weekend. I'm very excited but first need a new job! I'm currently a Project Manager for a website so hopefully I can find a tech job over there. How is the job market for tech? Any tips on the best places to live? What else should I know before moving to Austin? I'm figuring I need to save about $4,000 to be able to have a nice, stress free move. What do you think? I only have a 1bd apartment to pack up but also need to take my car etc. I welcome any advice, opinions and all other comments.

Thanks so much!

Shannon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
Hey, shipping a car costs about $1000, fyi. Maybe more. I know I was quoted $1000 for my '73 Beetle. I was quoted less from other companies but then I read terrible things about those companies, so...

Also, moving usually costs WAY more than you think it's going to. Make sure you read Moving: How to avoid Moving Company Scams to research your moving company. It's very easy to get screwed. You can have moving companies come out and give you quotes on how much it'll cost to move your stuff. Mine was THOUSANDS more than I thought it would be (but I have a lot of stuff).

Also, you'll need to have first month's rent plus a security deposit and hooking up utilities usually costs way more than you think it's going to. Then there's the cost of actually getting there. Anyway, stuff to think about!

Anyway, just remember that you usually get what you pay for. I once went with a moving company (in L.A., by the way. PM me if you want to know their name) because it was cheaper than another company someone recommended to me. It was absolute hell. They took 4 hours to drive 40 miles and charged me double for it and then held my stuff hostage until I paid them $1500 for moving a one-bedroom apartment's worth of stuff. They're listed on movingscam.com, but I didn't know about the site back then (if it was even around). My point is, don't go with a moving company just because they're cheap because they have all kinds of ways of over-charging you.

Sorry, I don't mean to frighten you. I'm in the midst of moving hell myself right now, heh.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2008, 06:26 AM

183 posts, read 686,326 times
Try ABF/UPack. We hired movers off of Craigsist and used ABF to drive the truck. We moved a 3000 square foot house from Colorado to Austin and it cost around $2000. We drove our cars with our pets so that wasn't an issue.

If you want any info about IT jobs I can DM you my hisband's info if you'd like. He's the Director of IT at Robert Half (an IT placement firm)

Good Luck!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:42 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
Don't expect Austin to be a mini California and don't call the highways and freeways with numbers (183, 2222, I 35, 45, etc..) The 183, The I 35...It's just the number

Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springbean View Post
Try ABF/UPack. We hired movers off of Craigsist and used ABF to drive the truck. We moved a 3000 square foot house from Colorado to Austin and it cost around $2000. We drove our cars with our pets so that wasn't an issue.

If you want any info about IT jobs I can DM you my hisband's info if you'd like. He's the Director of IT at Robert Half (an IT placement firm)

Good Luck!
I thought about using ABF and hiring movers off of Craigslist, but I was worried that I wouldn't save any money that way and it would involve a lot more hassle. I worry about the movers overcharging me. i.e. I once hired movers off Craigslist to help me pack up some stuff and move it it into storage. They took about 3 hours to pack up 3 bookcases. It took me about half an hour to pack the other 3. In all, they charged me $1000 to move 1000 sq ft of stuff into a storage pod that was in my driveway.

ABF quoted me $3100 for a 28' trailer and $4100 for a 35' trailer (I needed something in the middle) to move me from Ventura, CA to Austin. Then if you add in the unknown amount to hire movers... and I wasn't really saving that much.

I'm probably going with Allied to do my move. They're giving me a binding estimate and they'll take care of everything but the packing for $7000.

I'm glad to hear your move went well, however. ABF is supposed to be a fantastic company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: