Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 01:22 AM

739 posts, read 3,056,324 times

Advertisements

Hum, we were thinking we could make it from San Diego to El Paso in one 12 hour trip and then make the remainder of the trip from El Paso to Austin the next day. Hopefully this will be doable as hotels are already booked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:00 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
If that is your thinking then that is what you should do! Make a hotel reservation..set the cruise at 100mph accross the deserts drop it to 80 throught Phoenix, Casa Grande and Tuscon keep it around 80 once you approach Kerrville! .. You'll be here in no time.

Have a great trip!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM

739 posts, read 3,056,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
If that is your thinking then that is what you should do! Make a hotel reservation..set the cruise at 100mph accross the deserts drop it to 80 throught Phoenix, Casa Grande and Tuscon keep it around 80 once you approach Kerrville! .. You'll be here in no time.

Have a great trip!
Hah, well not doable in a Penske truck... maybe it will be a much longer day.. Maybe it will be a 14 hour drive. Google maps says it takes 10 hours 18 minutes.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM

412 posts, read 1,751,419 times
I do all the time! I stay in Las Cruces, NM, the trip is not really that long if you speed through west Texas that shortens it a bit. It is about 8-13 hours to Las Cruces from Austin and then 10-11 to LA from there. Or 10-11 from La to Las Cruces and then 8-13 more hours. Its a really pretty drive once you start to get into the hill country. Beware of speeding through Ozona. I stay at the Hilton on Telshor Dr. when I stop in Las Cruces. I usually just eat dinner and breakfast in the hotel and skip lunch so I have no recommendations on restaurants.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Did you make hotel reservations prior to the trip, or press you luck along the way? We've got two little ones and a cat, and are driving out from OC to Round Rock. I think we'll stay in both Tucson and Fort Stockton for a 3-day/2-night trip. Are there sufficient gas stations along the way?

Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Did you make hotel reservations prior to the trip, or press you luck along the way? We've got two little ones and a cat, and are driving out from OC to Round Rock. I think we'll stay in both Tucson and Fort Stockton for a 3-day/2-night trip. Are there sufficient gas stations along the way?
There's a lot of empty space out there in W Texas(part of what makes it cool imho). I would make reservations just to be sure, especially with a little one. Fort Stockton looks a lot different on a map than it does in real life There are gas stations about every 30-50 miles but some might be closed depending on the day/time. I would never let my tank get below 1/4!

We had to drive from Big Bend to Austin on a spare donut! because it was a Sunday and NOBODY was open to sell us a new one. That was over 500 miles. Must be a new record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin