U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 AM

126 posts, read 760,800 times

Advertisements

- Tiny yard (the yard only extends around 12 feet at the back of the house). Plot size only 0.15 acres but the house is real big
- Master bedroom upstairs
- 5 bedrooms, 3200 sq ft. great house otherwise, awesome kitchen, tile downstairs
- No swimming pool or other amenities because the community is real tiny
- Area: Grandview Hills near Lake Travis- nice quiet community where some houses have grand views- not this one though
- Extremely well maintained houses all around- well manicured lawns and all the houses look pretty.
-Priced at around 310 k

Like the house but wondering about its resale value. Would you buy this house? What kind of buyer would like it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 AM

1,961 posts, read 5,857,892 times
I wouldn't I would feel closed in with the small yard. I also think that selling it in the future might be problematic.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM

786 posts, read 2,646,433 times
You would be trying to sell to a very lmited market. Someone who wants lots of room in the house but no grounds to maintain. Talked to one retired couple a few weeks ago who were looking for a house like that, but they wanted a community with ammenities including a country or golf club.

Sounds like the house is out of step with the rest of the neighborhood. I would not buy it myself.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:23 PM

368 posts, read 1,726,331 times
That sounds just like a Vegas house, though the yard is too big and the price is too small.

Oh, wait, I'm thinking of prices about 8 months back....

That house is very west coast, which is where it should stay. There are -0- geographic restrictions to house building here in Texas, so this type of house is inexcusable, save for the developer is trying to extract max money from minimal investment.

If the house is 3,200 sq. feet and on a 0.15 acre lot, is the driveway long enough to park a vehicle longer than a first generation Honda Civic without it sticking out over the sidewalk or into the street?

Regardless, knowing what appeals to me, and I really dislike yard work, I'd not so much as consider a house like this. If it had a great view, maybe. If it had an extra-deep three-car garage...and the view, maybe. For us, the master absolutely must be on the main, but that's just us (hobbies, the fun ones, can injure or kill you fairly easily).

To me, this appeals to the condo buyer who wants 5 bedrooms. Not all that common....

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM

8,239 posts, read 16,614,808 times
It depends on who you are. I need to be central, I love to garden and I hate the thought of heating and cooling 3,200 SF. so for me, no.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:37 PM

6,329 posts, read 17,232,491 times
Quote:
Sounds like the house is out of step with the rest of the neighborhood.
The small yard is what I term a "misfit attribute". When buying a house, it's best to avoid misfit attributes, whatever they may be.

That said, your agent should provide you with a CMA on the value of the home, and that CMA should take into account the smaller yard and lack of view. If the home seems to be priced well compared to it's non-misfit peers, then perhaps the price already reflects it's limitations.

Finally, if the home works for you, and you plan to remain there at least five years, then YES, I would personally buy it but only for a price that reflects it's misfit attributes. Then when you eventually sell, you'll simply need to price it right also, but your appreciation rate should be about the same as the neighborhood in general if you don't overpay on the front end.

Steve

Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM

126 posts, read 760,800 times
Default The price is OK

The price is definitely lower than most houses in the neighborhood. The neighboring house which has 100 sq ft more recently sold for 350k. So....

By the way, what kind of buyer likes the Master Bedroom upstairs?

And yes, the driveway is pretty big. Can easily park two huge cars on it. And the front yard is great. The biggest negative is the backyard. But they also have an enclosed patio which is kinda like a mudroom which we thought was cool- perfect for pets.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,255,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_mommy View Post
By the way, what kind of buyer likes the Master Bedroom upstairs?
I think a lot of younger buyers like the Master Bedroom upstairs. We have all four bedrooms and our laundry room upstairs, so it makes it much easier to do laundry. I was open to upstairs or downstairs, but my Wife only wanted it to be upstairs. Plus after living in apartments all our lives, the last thing she wanted was to hear our future kids stomping on the floor above us like our upstairs neighbors always have in the past.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM

980 posts, read 2,829,653 times
I like the master bedroom upstairs. I'm paranoid and for safety reasons I feel less secure sleeping on the ground level.

Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM

384 posts, read 1,519,660 times
The only part that would really choke me up is the price.
I mean, I'm sure it must be a choice location, but there are houses in other outlying places like Kyle with as much square footage for under $200k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin