Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2008, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 17,758 times

Advertisements

I am a 27 year old young professional and i will be moving to Austin ifrom the dirty Jerz in a month or so for work in the 78758 area. I am looking for an area to move to and I still don't really know what area would be good.

I would like a place that has a walkable neighborhood for bars, restaurants etc. I am not sure if i really want to deal with the college crowd. I will probably be able to afford up to $1000, but would be willing to pay a little bit more for a cool location. Also i don't mind driving 20 minutes because I drive an hour now just to get to work. Let me know what you all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,910 times
"Walkable neighborhood for bars & restaurants" is synonymous with the "college crowd". Hard to separate the two.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:39 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
South Congress... SoCo

Old 08-05-2008, 07:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
However, remember that SoCo is way south and 78758 is way north, and you'll be commuting through downtown. If it's during the off hours, not much of a problem, but at rush hour, it could be.

The Domain has apartments and could be considered "cool". Also, The Triangle (a bit north of the University) is another possibility. Either of these would be an easy commute to 78758. The Domain is in 78758, in fact.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Use this site to find areas that are very walkable:

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

I just tried West Anderson and Burnet and it got a 77 out of 100 or "very walkable"

I have a friend who just go a small apt. in that area for $1000 right across from Sun Harvest.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Use this site to find areas that are very walkable:

Get Your Walk Score - A Walkability Score For Any Address

I just tried West Anderson and Burnet and it got a 77 out of 100 or "very walkable"

I have a friend who just go a small apt. in that area for $1000 right across from Sun Harvest.
That's an excellent suggestion. There are a lot of nice areas to live around 78758 and 78759 but in general, the northwest area of town isn't really considered walkable. The West Anderson/Burnet location would be nice as far as a place to live and convenience to shopping, etc.

You might also check out the Riata complex - there is a thread on here about it: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ents-nice.html

Another option would be to look in the Far West area. There are some students there since it's on a UT Shuttle route, but I don't think it's as raucous as the campus area.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 20,838 times
I used to live in The Hills at the Arboretum and I loved it. The location was perfect.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:42 PM

25 posts, read 100,324 times
Austin is an awesome place to live. But it's not a walking city like what you find on the East Coast. People here have much different standards of what constitutes a "walking neighborhood". Your best bet is probably Hyde Park or downtown. You could find something for $1000 in Hyde Park no problem. You could probably find somewhere small downtown for $1000. You could live in SoCo and be a cheap taxi cab ride away from downtown. But I found SoCo to be a bit overrated. It's cool and all, but a couple bars open late doesn't really constitute a vibrant nightlife scene

You won't be able to afford the aforementioned Triangle for $1000. Apartments there are nice and modern looking but they start at like $1150 or something. Also, it's not really a "walking neighborhood". It's a condo development with a bunch of restaurants.

Ultimately, if you're moving here from the East Coast you have to adjust your expectations. We don't have a lot of what's up there, but they lack a lot of the cool stuff down here. It's just a different lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: