U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:05 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,659,171 times

Advertisements

Where is the best place/s to eat with a good view over the water - Lake Travis/Town/Ladybird or any other lake in the area?

Good food, good view and comfortable surroundings (pref where kids/teens would be welcome & enjoy).

IMHO....
  • Oasis has the best sunset view I've seen so far...food is only just about OK tho, and it gets sooo busy.
  • Iguana not bad, smaller and more cozy. Margaritas terrible.
  • Hula Hut, crazy at weekends, limited view.
  • Johnny Fins, not bad... but if you're next to the gas pumps, stinky.
Any others??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM

124 posts, read 546,425 times
Johnny Finns has really good fried fish. It's thick white meat. That's where I used to go when I had my boat. OH, I wish I still had a boat. I'm sad now.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM

9,247 posts, read 25,240,792 times
Carlos and Charlies...I found a website today that listed a few more places I've never heard of on the Lake, I'll have to look for it again.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 25,240,792 times
Lakehouse Cafe was another one.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:40 AM

31 posts, read 143,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezerboat View Post
OH, I wish I still had a boat. I'm sad now.
I once read that the two best days in a man's life are the day he gets a boat and the day he sells the boat. :-)

Old 08-07-2008, 06:25 PM

132 posts, read 440,339 times
I went to the Oasis last weekend for my birthday and was disappointed. Sure, the view is incredible and I've never had a bad table. Food is marginal and can be pricy -- $20 for six bacon-wrapped shrimp! There were 5 people in my party, 3 adults, a teen, and a 12-yr-old.

The problem was the table next to me. Three women in their late 30s, early 40s, drunk as skunks. The table was littered with shot glasses and drink glasses and the waiter kept them coming.

Those women were by far the most obnoxious people I've ever encountered in a restaurant. Loud, foul-mouthed, drunks. I mentioned it politely to my server, who apparently had been annoyed by them much longer than I had been at my table. She had already asked their server to try to quiet them down, to no avail. After saying something to our server, again, still nothing.

Just after we got our food, with these horrid drunks practically screaming in my ear, I finally spoke to the manager. He offered to move my party of 5 with a table full of food. I declined. He asked their waiter to quiet them down. They did for about 5 minutes, then started complaining even more loudly about the efforts to shut them up. Why couldn't the manager have asked three drunk women with no food on the table (never saw any food) to move, instead of offering to move us?

I hope these women made it home safely, as they all left with keys in their hands. I hope the Oasis management is aware of their own liability if, god forbid, one of them didn't make it home safely or plowed into someone on the road. I'm all for a rip-roaring drunken evening out with the girls, but come on... find a spot that caters to that type of behavior. Even this was too much for me, a die-hard partier.

So, yeah, I'd love to find a new lake restaurant with a view, too.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:23 AM

7,230 posts, read 14,847,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post

Those women were by far the most obnoxious people I've ever encountered in a restaurant. Loud, foul-mouthed, drunks.
I have had the same type of experience at the Oasis and like you the wait staff and management seemed unable or unwilling to deal with it. It was horrible and soured me on going to the lake at all.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:53 AM

756 posts, read 1,801,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Where is the best place/s to eat with a good view over the water - Lake Travis/Town/Ladybird or any other lake in the area?

Good food, good view and comfortable surroundings (pref where kids/teens would be welcome & enjoy).

IMHO....
  • Oasis has the best sunset view I've seen so far...food is only just about OK tho, and it gets sooo busy.
  • Iguana not bad, smaller and more cozy. Margaritas terrible.
  • Hula Hut, crazy at weekends, limited view.
  • Johnny Fins, not bad... but if you're next to the gas pumps, stinky.
Any others??
I agree with you about the sunset view at Oasis, but the food is disgusting. All of the other places have low end/marginal food as well, but Hula Hut is probably the least bad. What is up with Iguana's margaritas? Something just went wrong. Now Baby A's knows how to make a margarita (death by purple)! My advice is to get liquored up before food arrives and it will taste great!

Old 08-08-2008, 10:17 AM

3,367 posts, read 10,659,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
I agree with you about the sunset view at Oasis, but the food is disgusting.
True, very true.

We ended up taking our company there the other night because it is a spectacular building and a great setting for the view - but kinda wish we hadn't because the place is chaotic, dirty, and the food is TERRIBLE. The fajitas were not too bad, but all 3 of those who had the chicken were ill next day. I thought the chicken looked odd - it had a woolly kind of texture. Guess it was going off and the kitchen served it anyway, bleaugh.

The server was a nice guy but had too much on I imagine because he brought the fajitas but forgot the PLATES!!! so we sat there waiting for 10 minutes, unable to eat, waiting for plates that never came...until we got up, walked around and found another server. They brought us some lovely PLASTIC plates. Classy.

Next time we'll eat elsewhere and go there just for a drink and the view.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 AM

10,156 posts, read 18,488,386 times
The secret to the Oasis is this:

Don't go to the restaurant. Go to the Starlight Cafe (the music bar area) when there is a live band playing -- usually Thurs-Sunday. Same great view, better atmosphere, and no worrying about who you get seated next to or the waitstaff rushing you through a meal to turn around the table. You can order food if you want, or just drinks, and pick up and move anytime. Linger as long as you wish.

Not for kids, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin