U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 PM

3,958 posts, read 6,173,704 times

Advertisements

Forgot to mention the least environmentally damaging options for wood floors are Cork(harvesting does not kill the tree), Bamboo(a grass that matures is 5-7 years), or something with a LEEDs certification.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,575,659 times
We had laminate installed in January and I love it.

We used Image Tile and Carpet and I was very pleased.
*The only regret I have is that we chose white quarter round to match our baseboards and it turned out to be too white. Hindsight, I would suggest matching quarter round to floors!

Old 08-14-2008, 07:37 AM

7,733 posts, read 9,084,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA View Post
We had laminate installed in January and I love it.

We used Image Tile and Carpet and I was very pleased.
*The only regret I have is that we chose white quarter round to match our baseboards and it turned out to be too white. Hindsight, I would suggest matching quarter round to floors!

We used white quarter-round as well (it's just pre-primed) and painted it to match our existing baseboards. It looks great. Have you tried painting over it? I don't think it was meant to be left as-is.

Also, yes, pre-engineered floors are "floating," but if you are putting it over a concrete subfloor, it will need to be glued down. You will also need a thicker wood than if it were going over a wood subfloor. We looked at places like Lumber Liquidators, and they had a very poor selection of woods this thickness.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
We used white quarter-round as well (it's just pre-primed) and painted it to match our existing baseboards. It looks great. Have you tried painting over it? I don't think it was meant to be left as-is.

Also, yes, pre-engineered floors are "floating," but if you are putting it over a concrete subfloor, it will need to be glued down. You will also need a thicker wood than if it were going over a wood subfloor. We looked at places like Lumber Liquidators, and they had a very poor selection of woods this thickness.
I don't understand the part about not over concrete subfloors (slabs). I though as long as the manufacturer deemed it a floating floor; that there was a moisture barrier installed; and the subfloor was level you were good to go.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I don't understand the part about not over concrete subfloors (slabs). I though as long as the manufacturer deemed it a floating floor; that there was a moisture barrier installed; and the subfloor was level you were good to go.

I honestly don't remember the explanation, but we were told the same thing by every place we looked - Lumber Liquidators, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Austin Hardwood flooring. They all explained it, but I can't remember the reason.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:46 PM

2,261 posts, read 6,890,413 times
Don't use Lowes or Home Depot to install your wood floors!

I did, and I later found out they charge almost double of what a smaller flooring company would. They broker it out to various companies too. The one they brokered ours out to did a terrible job.

We used pre-engineered hardwood, and they glued it down. Two years later the wood started coming unglued. Lowes denies all responsibility.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Don't use Lowes or Home Depot to install your wood floors!

I did, and I later found out they charge almost double of what a smaller flooring company would. They broker it out to various companies too. The one they brokered ours out to did a terrible job.

We used pre-engineered hardwood, and they glued it down. Two years later the wood started coming unglued. Lowes denies all responsibility.
Sounds like they didn't level it properly. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the contractors that Lowe's uses. Not just for flooring but for anything.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:15 PM

260 posts, read 861,734 times
We have several SF of hardwood (most all of our downstairs). Be careful about what stain you select; the floors we have are a darker color (cherry), very shiny and hard to keep "shiny/clean". You see footprints (oil from bare feet) after a couple of days of cleaning and it drives us nuts. Right after they care cleaned, our floors are very pretty though.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:55 AM

78,882 posts, read 43,548,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post

Larger stores in Austin for flooring:

Floor and Decor
Lumber Liquidators
Lowe's
Home Depot

YIKES!!!!!

Those are the last places to deal with!! Too many middle men, cheap flooring and rarely meet expectations.

Deal with someone, NWFA Certified, not just a member! (National Wood Flooring Association)

Old 04-15-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
YIKES!!!!!

Those are the last places to deal with!! Too many middle men, cheap flooring and rarely meet expectations.

Deal with someone, NWFA Certified, not just a member! (National Wood Flooring Association)
I don't trust most of those either.

I was looking for slate awhile back and found what I thought to be some at Home Depot, Lowes, and Floor and Decor that originated in China/India. It turned out to not be slate at all but rather all of them were trying to pass off their mudstone/shale as true metamorphic slate. In other words they will take advantage of consumer ignorance if their competitors are doing the same.

Employee knowledge of the flooring they carry is severely lacking at the big home centers. You can get lucky and find someone who knows their stuff but more often that not you will find someone who only has superficial knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin