Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 12:46 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,162 times

Advertisements

I know 1% is a common deductible, but does everyone have coverage set around the purchase price or current value of their house or more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:11 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnj07 View Post
I know 1% is a common deductible, but does everyone have coverage set around the purchase price or current value of their house or more?
I use replacement cost, which they estimate based from a formula. If you bought it a while ago, purchase price is not useful anyway... so you have to consider replacement cost only. If it's newer, the lenders sometimes try to require you to get insurance for purchase price.. but I think they can't legally make you do that. If the insurance company says replacement cost is lower than purchase price, I believe you can insure it for lower amount. Makes sense, especially since the purchase price includes the lot, which you'll still have even if the house is destroyed.

Although, now that I think about it... does anyone use their own estimate for replacement cost? If I figure $150 per sq ft for new construction, the number I get is significantly higher than what the insurance company says "replacement cost" is.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times
I use $110 per sq feet as replace cost, since a tornado or fire would most likely leave my pier and beam foundation intact (drilled piers, 20 feet, concrete and steel construction) and we would build on that, you don't have to replace the land either and that is a factor in the price of a home but not rebuildling.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:46 PM

433 posts, read 1,657,162 times
So it's not just me....most people do insure for replacment cost rather than current value?

The reason I was asking is that I may need a new roof and my deductible is 1% of the $600K+ coverage I have, even though the purchase price was just under $400K.

Does anyone purchase separate insurance just for roofs? I'm happy with my coverage in the event of catastrophic loss, but I'm not too comfortable with worrying about paying over $6K for a roof every time it hails.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:56 PM

593 posts, read 1,377,685 times
6,000 for a roof on a house worth 400K is pretty standard. Just my guess but probably a large house meaning a large roof. Most of the cost of course is labor and then depends upon materials ie. Clay Tile, Shingle, or Metal. Then factor in gables, pitch of the roof, rain gutter (in some cases may need to be removed then put back), plywood (if damaged).

But, do get several estimates before deciding on a contractor. Of course, insurance will have to approve and many times have their own contractors they work with especially if it is part of any home shield warranty.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin