U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 8,479 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I am seriously considering a move to Austin in early '09 from Boston. 24 y/o male recent grad (finance UG, looking at MBA@UT down the road) that was born and raised here. Good job and options here, but that alone isn't enough...I am trying to hear from other transplants into town on their experience so far. I have read tons on this site and others-looking for "two sides of the fence" kind of input. PROS seem to be (relatively) low cost of living, social scene, weather, and slower pace. CONS seem to be lower wages, tight job market (esp finance folks), social overflow from UT, and rough air quality/perpetual allergy season. Did some time in DC for two years of school so I go into this move a little wiser and am covering all angles. Still, I have NO contacts down there so this would be totally uprooting myself.

Any insight from other New Englanders on the job market, reception from natives, and any misc thoughts on adjustment are much appreciated.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-12-2008 at 08:12 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:24 AM

1,398 posts, read 1,883,839 times
My boss who moved here from Boston would agree with your pros and cons. The traffic does not bother him one iota. The one thing he has complained about the most though is that there is too much small talk, ie people are too friendly.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 AM

7,234 posts, read 13,817,226 times
That's so true about the small talk. In Chicago or New York at the post office, you better have everything in order and the whole transaction is fast and silent. Here, no matter how long the line, you always have a friendly chat with the person behind the counter. Same at the grocery store, doctor's office, etc. I have learned to love it!!

Long, long ago, I had a temp job in the midwest with a firm of engineering consultants, the engineers were located all over the US, I would sometimes have to call factories and have the switchboard operator try various phones to locate our engineers -- cell phones just barely existed at all. I would quake at calling the paper mills in New England. Very abrupt and unhappy with my requests, you could feel the chill over the phone but nothing was easier than dealing with folks at Texas refineries!! We would chat and they would try every phone in the plant to locate my engineer. Yes, there really is such a thing as "Texas Friendly."

While I have lived in Texas for nearly 20 years now, my sister has lived in DC during that time, she still freaks out over all the friendly conversation here! To me, it feels like home.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:09 AM

8,949 posts, read 10,699,397 times
Default New England Transplant

I came to Austin from Connecticut in 1992. I have very mixed feelings about Austin. I caution many to "not believe the hype." Austin seems to be infatuated with itself. While it seems 100% better than any other city in Texas, for me, it does not compare to New York City, Boston or Miami.

For me the downsides are:

1) Food is not as good. If you like seafood and genuine Italian, you'll generally be disappointed. If you like Mexican, you'll be in Heaven. Some people will say the food in Austin is the best they ever had-- They've likely never been to Boston/New York.

2) It's very hot for a very long time. We've had over eighty 90+ degree days in a row now. Many days over 100. It wears on you. There aren't really seasons here like in New England. It's a very different climate.

3) The landscape is not as pretty. Green mountains and hills don't exist. I always loved the sea shore. Lake Travis is not the same thing.

4) The culture is DIFFERENT. When you get beyond the smart, academic central austinites, it's still Texas and there is a bit too much Christain hegemony for this nice Jewish boy. Religion is a private matter in New England, while "Where do you go to Church?" is a common get to know you question here.

Realize too, your expereince may be entirely different. I feel more comfortable in a room full of strangers at La Guradia than a room full of people I know here. But thats me. Come down-- Visit -- don't look through Rose colored glasses--and decide for yourself

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 08-12-2008 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 8,479 times
Thanks for the tips. 65, rain, and gray again in Boston today...a trip can't come soon enough.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 PM

8,949 posts, read 10,699,397 times
100 and humid in Austin. I'd have to say the same

Old 08-12-2008, 03:10 PM

389 posts, read 1,440,929 times
Default 100%

Absolutley right on those comments, reps to you!

I can however add a few:

10 people in line for coffee = 3min wait in Boston and often 15 min wait down here..

You can count till about 10 before anyone down here hits the gas when the light turns green.

People down here still write checks?!? And usually in the express checkout lane...

Basically nothing happens fast.. period. Not even walking..

That said I could type all day of things down here that I think make it worth staying.. so if you do come, take it easy man.. everyone else sure does..

Best of luck..
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I came to Austin from Connecticut in 1992. I have very mixed feelings about Austin. I caution many to "not believe the hype." Austin seems to be infatuated with itself. While it seems 100% better than any other city in Texas, for me, it does not compare to New York City, Boston or Miami.

For me the downsides are:

1) Food is not as good. If you like seafood and genuine Italian, you'll generally be disappointed. If you like Mexican, you'll be in Heaven. Some people will say the food in Austin is the best they ever had-- They've likely never been to Boston/New York.

2) It's very hot for a very long time. We've had over eighty 90+ degree days in a row now. Many days over 100. It wears on you. There aren't really seasons here like in New England. It's a very different climate.

3) The landscape is not as pretty. Green mountains and hills don't exist. I always loved the sea shore. Lake Travis is not the same thing.

4) The culture is DIFFERENT. When you get beyond the smart, academic central austinites, it's still Texas and there is a bit too much Christain hegemony for this nice Jewish boy. Religion is a private matter in New England, while "Where do you go to Church?" is a common get to know you question here.

Realize too, your expereince may be entirely different. I feel more comfortable in a room full of strangers at La Guradia than a room full of people I know here. But thats me. Come down-- Visit -- don't look through Rose colored glasses--and decide for yourself

Old 08-12-2008, 03:20 PM

362 posts, read 943,079 times
Uhm. It's 83 and 63% humidity. Where in Austin are you at with 100 degree temps today?

Old 08-12-2008, 04:37 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,145,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
100 and humid in Austin. I'd have to say the same
It is WAY, WAY, WAY more humid in the Northeast than it ever is in Austin! I've lived in both places and having moved to Austin right after five years in New England, Austin seemed downright dry!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:04 PM

447 posts, read 1,707,467 times
I moved to Austin in June 2006 after 32 years in New England (MA and RI, with the exception of college in Washington DC) and I generally agree with the pros and cons, although the weather here is a con for ME. (but most disagree with me) Two years later I'm still not over no true changes in seasons (I don't count mild, hot, hell hot as change in seasons) and I miss the snow and true cold in the winter.

Life does have a slower pace here, which we were looking for. We were tired of the rat race up North. People are friendly, and yes, that sometimes means you have to wait longer in line. It's a positive for us (once I got used to leaving additional time for errands).

I do miss some of the food I can get in New England (good coffee, good pizza, deli sandwiches) but it's worth the tradeoff to get all the awesome Mexican food here. We could never afford the house we have here in Rhode Island.

It was a very positive move for us, although we had about 6 months of culture shock "what did we just DO". Once we got past that, we love it. Our New England friends and family (we didn't know a soul moving here) all thought, and still think, we're CRAZY for voluntarily becoming "Texans" (and yes, I know you "real" Texans can never consider us Texans, it's okay, we don't consider ourselves Texans either!) but they don't know what they're missing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or