Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:23 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
I have to figure your speaking of the RR campus....I know there is at least one mistake in here, somewhere.

McKellyb, do I get the prize? This is my most common mistake, made mostly from going too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 PM

368 posts, read 1,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
McKellyb, do I get the prize? This is my most common mistake, made mostly from going too fast.
Yep, you win.

That's a mistake I rarely make, but I was doing two other things when typing my mini-rant, so I did not proofread it properly.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:45 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
With the exception of SH130, which was sold to us as a route for the semis to take around Austin, not as a means of transportation for the rest of us - it was supposed to get the semis off of IH35 so we could use it more safely. (Not that I bought that for a moment, of course, but enough people did.)
Are there any studies yet on whether 130 is attracting thru-traffic. That would be interesting. Hopefully once that thing reaches I35 south of Creedmoor, it will be a more direct detour for semis and other passerby.

It sure is pricey though. Lord, I've driven a lot of toll roads around the country and those are by far the most expensive.

Texas Tollways - Austin Area Toll Roads

Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I don't know about studies, but I've driven it several times at different times of day and days of the week (I try to avoid toll roads but need to know a bit about them in order to give relocating clients information), and I've seen one semi on it ever. The northern entrance to it is also two exits down from me on IH35 and I pass it daily and I've never seen a semi entering it or exiting it when I go by. For what that anecdotal bit of information is worth.

I'm sure some semis DO use it, but none that I've seen except for the one.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:00 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I don't know about studies, but I've driven it several times at different times of day and days of the week (I try to avoid toll roads but need to know a bit about them in order to give relocating clients information), and I've seen one semi on it ever. The northern entrance to it is also two exits down from me on IH35 and I pass it daily and I've never seen a semi entering it or exiting it when I go by. For what that anecdotal bit of information is worth.

I'm sure some semis DO use it, but none that I've seen except for the one.
I hate to even suggest this, but maybe semis should be forced to use it unless they have business in Austin.

That would never fly though. Seems impossible even as I type

Back to the Olympics!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The route is not complete yet (the south end does not connect to I-35 yet), but I expect that there will be quite a few trucks that do end up using it when they do finish it. It will be economics, with the price of gas so high...especially diesel. I am not sure what they charge the big trucks, but they waste a lot of gas when stuck in stop and go traffic.....

Old 08-15-2008, 05:59 AM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Which Dell campus ? Round Rock, Howard Lane or Palmer ?
It's not the RR one -- but not sure if Howard or Parmer. I just know it's south of the RR one.

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
I hate to even suggest this, but maybe semis should be forced to use it unless they have business in Austin.

That would never fly though. Seems impossible even as I type

Back to the Olympics!
It's too pricey for the 18 wheelers..somewhere around the $15 mark for tolls.

http://www.texastollways.com/austint.../img/rates.png

Old 08-15-2008, 07:24 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
That is only 4 gallons of diesel (or less), which a semi can easily save by not having to slow down and speed up a few times, not to mention if there is stop and go traffic. Accelerating for those trucks is just a fuel killer. Granted, it is a little longer, but constant speed distance is much more efficient than slow and go for a short way.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:03 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,755 times
I love learning about grammar mistakes. (I know this isn't what the thread was originally about--sorry) When I was younger, I used to always say "fustrated". It took forever for someone to correct me and let me know there's an extra "r" in there.

One of the funnier ones I like is when people say "I could care less." Really? Could you? What they should say is "I couldn't care less."

Also, my nail on the chalkboard is the word "verbage."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin