Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:33 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times

Advertisements

Meridian is just a few miles south of Circle C. It will have only 800 homes, Circle C has aroun 3000, I think. The house range from 300 to eventually 1 million. It's a fabulous community and still has that city feel since we are only a 15 minute drive to the city and still in Austin. Cedar Park and Round Rock are worlds away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 03:20 AM

54 posts, read 149,159 times
I flew myself, too! from cleveland.. my cousins flew regularly between texas and cleveland from the time they were 4-5 yrs old! Yes 6th street was memorable and cool.. and the bats! just like from that movie 'the birds'.. I am also relocating my job starts in roundrock in January and i am scared senseless about the roaches down there.. yeah nobody tells you about that! Everyone down there talked it up, how much i would love, it , all the opportunities.. hmmm. not one mention of the insects til AFTEr i got online!!!! AFTER accepting the job transfer! hate to give up all my hard work and effort because of insects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory81 View Post
...here are my thoughts.

For starters, I want to say that I flew to Austin by myself, stayed for 3 days (Aug 14-17), and was looking for a possible place to relocate. I did a ton of research before visiting, from various sources (including reading posts here). The things that appealed most to me are the mild winters (here in Colorado, it snows 6 of the 12 months per year) and the overall fun-loving attitude (from 6th St., to Lake Travis, to crazy things like the Alamo Drafthouse, it seemed like a totally cool place to be). I also have MBA aspirations and the McCombs school at UT is top-notch and attractive. Also, it should be noted my job transfers easily over here so finding work is not an issue at all.

My thoughts:

Overall, I'm seriously considering a move. The weather, the low cost of living, the educational resources (UT and a great public school system in the southwest burbs for future family life), the outstanding sports culture (hook 'em Horns) and the fun lifestyle (the lake and great bars) are all big sellers for me.

The only negative I came away with was the lack of newer suburban living options. It seemed Circle C Ranch was the only decent "smart growth" suburb I could find. What beautiful trees that neighborhood has! And it is very big, too. But being from DC and now living in Denver, the quality of the suburbs overall was lackluster (Cedar Park and Round Rock appeared to be sprawling, older communities, am I wrong in this?)

What are some other "liveable" planned communities in Austin?

By the way, I LOVE the passion for the Horns. Everywhere you look is a Bevo symbol. Awesome.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:04 AM

225 posts, read 851,194 times
I have been here a 1 1/2 and I have not seen one roach!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,828 times
wanting to move to texas. we own a painting company where would be best to rebuild our business, as well as raise kids. with reasonable costs of living. with good neighborhoods and good schools.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:02 PM

389 posts, read 1,631,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike78613 View Post
Schools: I go here: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Community for Parents

Anything in Aurora / Denver, avg is about 2-4 out of 10

Not quite.

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/..._school/co/253

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/..._school/co/274

http://www.greatschools.net/modperl/...chool/co/2295/

Last edited by Biscuits; 08-31-2008 at 02:11 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 03:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,465,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma_manes View Post
wanting to move to texas. we own a painting company where would be best to rebuild our business, as well as raise kids. with reasonable costs of living. with good neighborhoods and good schools.
If you don't mind the weather, Houston would be a good place to rebuild a business and raise a family. Especially b/c of the lower cost of living and the growth.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:49 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,735,213 times
If you are looking for smart growth areas check out the TODs that are developing around the CapMetro rail stops:

All Systems Go Long-Range Transit Plan - CapMetro

Old 09-04-2008, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 88,171 times
i have moved all over the country with my family, but as soon as i hit 18 i moved back to Austin. I love it here!!! There is a really cool community feel about the city, its almost like a small town feeling, because you really will see a lot of the same people around town. I'm constantly running into people that i have met at different places. I even decided to get married and I'm starting my family here. Things are affordable here (coming from the East coast) and the weather is good (except for the sometimes brutal summers), and I'm in the Pest control business and i will tell you that the bugs really aren't that bad here. We do have pretty much every type of poisonous creature that walks/slithers/or crawls but there is enough nature in the city that they don't really come in to peoples homes or anything like that. The worst bug thing that you will probably see is actually going on right now and will continue to November, that would be the problems with crickets. Every year around this time the population explodes and they are everywhere, you will see them crawling on the sides of buildings and hopping around parking lots, its almost like a plague some years....other years its not that bad at all. But all and all, out of all the places that i have lived (Chicago, Milwaukee, Austin, Detroit, ashburn/reston) i love it here the most and i really don't want to leave.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:46 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,536 times
Yeah, the crickets do get out of control during the Fall. It's really bad in parking lots with the large light poles where they'll just pile up into a black mass

Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM

260 posts, read 904,503 times
Quote:
So many new BIG OL Houses popping up in the Cedar Park area! AkA Bella Vista (maybe no more building, but have no yards) and not sure what it's called, maybe deer creek? I know it is very close to Cedar Park HS. They have a very, very nice golf course and very close access to Lake Travis.
Are you referring to Twin Creeks? We are across from Cedar Park HS and have a private golf course/country club. There are some new lots available with phenominal views- wish I could afford them . Regardless, homes in this 'hood are affordable but be prepared for that monthly bill from the country club if you choose Twin Creeks.

I have met lots of great families here and have made friends in a very short time. It's a great 'hood to live in, especially being young and planning a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin