U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:28 AM

23 posts, read 99,920 times

Advertisements

Can scorpions climb up through the drainage system ? We just found a scorpion in the master bath sink. We have all our fan vents and A/C vents have nets. So the only thing we can think of are the drainage pipes. Master bath is upstairs. So far, this is the first for the year. Wonder if its the rain or was it already in the drains and came out now. Freaking my wife out a bit.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 12:43 AM

89 posts, read 389,642 times
Don't replace any parts in the bathroom just yet, they normally crawl on the ceiling and fall on you while your sleeping.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 AM

412 posts, read 1,650,068 times
I don't know but was it black? I always see tan colored scorpions but lately I have seen black scorpions and I have never seen them before. I live out in the country and scorpions actually don't come in our house. I see them outside sometimes though.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,499,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkk View Post
Don't replace any parts in the bathroom just yet, they normally crawl on the ceiling and fall on you while your sleeping.
Sweet Dreams!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:47 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,782,831 times
Wait until you realize that your house is infested with brown recluses. All spider predators will become welcome guests. My fiance used to capture scorpions inside our house and release them outside (yes, she's a bleeding heart). Now I capture scorpions outside and release them inside.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:10 PM

485 posts, read 1,826,152 times
Yes, scorpions can crawl up through drains. They can live through a toilet flushing and crawl right back up...not to say that they always do, but it takes a lot to "drown" a scorpion. Best thing to do is to step on them!!

Oh...so if wife is freaked don't tell her this info.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:05 PM

6,212 posts, read 16,175,677 times
Quote:
All spider predators will become welcome guests. My fiance used to capture scorpions inside our house and release them outside (yes, she's a bleeding heart).
We never kill them. Always toss them out into the grass. It's bad luck to kill a scorpion. The stings don't hurt that bad. I've been sung a lot.

My wife made me move our bed once because she was convinced that the one that stung me that time dropped from the A/C vent. I think it simply crawled up the covers, but the bed got moved nonetheless. She still won't sleep under a vent to this day, and she's never been stung at all, just me.

Steve

Old 08-21-2008, 06:07 AM

166 posts, read 353,292 times
Austin Steve - that is funny!! That sounds exactly like something I would do to my husband!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:03 AM

389 posts, read 1,449,644 times
Well, I have seen that with my own eyes, watched one drop from a vent and another time from a light fixture, so indeed no beds under any ceiling opening..
They can also "catch a ride in" , they love cardboard boxes stored in the garage for instance..
You cannot seal a house tight enough to keep them out, call a pest service and eventually they will be a thing of the past in the house. Perimiter defense of poison works best for us..
Cheers and good luck

Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 AM

8,576 posts, read 14,720,819 times
Yeah, I can hardly wait to check out the house after 3 weeks away! No telling where the little critters will be hiding! Catch and release, huh...I'll have to give that one some thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin