Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 02:33 PM

112 posts, read 682,943 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Austin MSA from San Diego to work for the Big D in a month. Round Rock might be the place that we will buy a house for the quality of school and ease of commute.

Round Rock is disected by I-35 into east and west parts. I remember a few posts in this forum mentioned that the RR west of I-35 is better than the east part in terms of school, safety and etc. I wonder if there is any fact back that claim.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 12,125 times
RR East is better, nicer, quieter, cleaner ... smarter.

It is nicest around Blackland Prarie Elementary.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:54 PM

Thanks for reply!

Is this a perception or fact? Any other pieces of information that backs the perception?

Old 01-30-2007, 05:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,060,914 times
Hi, I think you emailed me - but I haven't been online to respond, I will tonight.

I am new to RR, and Texas - so I am unaware of the "east vs west" issues. I *think* I am east?? What is west? Can someone give me a landmark?

We are in the Forest Creek area, near Dell - and kids are in Forest Creek Elementary. It is very nice, clean, safe... shopping and restaurants are nice.

I am not sure where Blackland Prarie Elem is!

Old 01-30-2007, 05:29 PM

Yes, I emailed you. Look forward to your reply tonight.

From the posts in this forum, I believe the landmark is I-35. West RR is on the west side of Round Rock and east is on the east side of I-35.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:38 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,283 times
We just spent the whole weekend looking at new construction developments west of I-35 in RR and I found them all to be very nice, very clean, very safe. I feel that west of I-35 has better topography -more hills and trees. I personally like that, so like west of I-35 better.

There are also schools west of I-35 in the RR district that are highly rated, so I don't know that one can say any one specific area is "smarter" than another.

By way of context, I don't live in RR.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,455 times
In general, west Round Rock has the best schools. Westwood HS is considered the "best" high school in RRISD (according to SAT scores, percentage going to college, TAKS scores, etc) while Stony Point HS is far behind the other 3. The exemplary elementary schools are in west Round Rock.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:32 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,830 times
Also keep in mind that there may be a HUGE water park built on FM 1431. If it is built, then there will be TONS of construction. Not just for the water park, but for widening the road and all the hotels/restaurants that will go with it. 1431 might be considered Cedar Park, I'm not sure.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:55 PM

forest creek elementary is an exemplary elementary school, and I guess we are east.

I have heard that Stoney Point is "good" but not at the level as the others. they are building a new one this year over here, with the new levy that just passed.

... after talking to my son earlier, I think Blackland Prarie Elem is near us.

I don't know that I have been to "west" Round Rock yet - the area on the other side of 35 seems older to me, and more businesses, less residential... is "west round rock" the La Frontera area? Sam Bass area?

Old 01-31-2007, 01:21 PM

I think I was out in "west" Round Rock today! Is west Round Rock out by the Round Rock Medical Center? Brushy Creek subdivision? Cat Hollow? If it is - then I have been out there!

In my opinion, it seems pretty remote, and less accessible than the "east" side of Round Rock. For most shopping outings, and restaurants, it seemed like to me you will have to drive a bit.

There is more trees there - but perspective I guess... I like the open, "ranch" look of where I am. I feel like I am really IN Texas - and coming from the Pacific NW - where we have more trees & greenery than anyone could fully appreciate, I dig the change of pace. There are still trees over here, though.

Given the school ratings that I posted yesterday, I couldn't say that the "west" was really any better than the "east" - just depends on what your personal preference is, or what you are looking for, I guess. We like to be out and about - and the driving distance from things would drive me batty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin