Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I've been through just about every neighborhood in Round Rock and never gone through a gang and drug infested neighborhood. I came here from Park Hill and also Houston, and I've seen drug infested and gang infested neighborhoods. Round Rock has nothing nearly approaching either, at least in what my experience of "bad" neighborhood is. You could probably find drugs in any neighborhood in Austin, and not all of them are considered bad.
I said pockets. There is no area that I know of in RR that is gang and drug infested like you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 10:55 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,066,251 times
Uhhh yeah... I think I would trust crime stats and police blotter information over that of a teenagers version of "word on the street"! I certainly wouldn't be posting it as fact to someone seeking relocation....

Old 08-23-2008, 11:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
I'm sorry to tell you guys but no city or town is utopia.

Ignore my post then and rely on your police stats.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 PM

39 posts, read 268,812 times
Any feedback on Old Settlers Park Palm Valley?

Old 08-24-2008, 08:16 AM

225 posts, read 851,501 times
I almost bought a home right in Old Settlers area and #1 reason I changed my mind was the school. I got feedback, that changed my mind quickly.
Some beg to differ, but just down the way on the 79 & Sunrise is a not so nice area, I would not let my children walk around alone there, I will put it that way.
I lived in a apartment in that area by HEB plus and the feel at the apartments was not was what I was looking for in life, to put it nicely. There was lots of problems in aparments, I did not feel comfortable after the first few days, when I took my kids to play ground when I first moved in, I never went back and those were 5-7 yrs. old playing, with not so good social skills to put it nicely.
There are many apartments in that area, so you will get some with a real transient type lifestyle. And most homes are rentals, which you will notice when you drive around area, the lack of care in some areas.
I know the prices look good, but there is a reason usually for this.
I would say rent first so you know it is the right place for you, SO glad I did.
GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
When I think of "bad" neighborhood, I think of falling down homes, graffitti, groups of minority boys and men hanging out on the sidewalks, very little business around, burgler bars, no pride of ownership (little to no grass in the yards, chain link fences, pit bull or meaner looking dog chained up somewhere).

I drove through the neighborhood newrrmom is talking about, and I don't see that type of look. I'm NOT saying that the renters there aren't troublemakers because I know they can be, I'm just talking aesthetics here. The apartments are practically new and I guess in about 5 more years we'll see how bad it is, but my MIL lived near the beltway and 59 in Houston for a long time, and those apartments out there are what I think of when I think of "bad". Shootings every day, drug deals going on smack out in the open, people loitering everywhere even in the streets in front of the places, lowriders driving up and down, hip hop music booming everywhere, apartments with busted out windows and clotheslines strung up on the patios. I haven't seen or heard quite this level of trouble anywhere in Round Rock, even in the low income housing area near downtown.

I think "bad" is subjective, or based on personal experience most definitely. I see more of this type of thing in some areas close to the airport, some places just West of 35, and a little of it East near downtown Austin. Braker Lane area is another one that I get the "bad" feel of. Some parts of Oltorf, etc....

Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM

225 posts, read 851,501 times
Once again just trying to help OP, so they don't end up in a neighborhood that she is not looking for. The apartments I lived at looked fine, (they were not the new ones), but what was inside was different!
I still believe that sunrise and 79 area, would not be a place most want to live with small children. So I am going to offer imput when needed to help another mom when possible.
ONCE again OP good luck!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 AM

183 posts, read 686,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newrrmom View Post
Once again just trying to help OP, so they don't end up in a neighborhood that she is not looking for. The apartments I lived at looked fine, (they were not the new ones), but what was inside was different!
I still believe that sunrise and 79 area, would not be a place most want to live with small children. So I am going to offer imput when needed to help another mom when possible.
ONCE again OP good luck!
I agree. I wouldn't live there with our without small kids. No, it's not the "ghetto" but it certainly isn't nice either.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 AM

46 posts, read 164,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
When I think of "bad" neighborhood, I think of falling down homes, graffitti, groups of minority boys and men hanging out on the sidewalks...
Why is it only when groups of "minority boys and men" hanging out that the neighborhood is bad? I must say, I take huge offense to that. Personally, if I see any group of people loitering, no matter their race, I get nervous. It's not only minorities like myself who get into trouble when they are bored and have nothing to do. I really encourage you to rethink your thought process on that. It doesn't matter if it's minorities or majorities, boys or girls. Loitering is bad... period! Please do not perpetuate this type of thinking here.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
I actually thought about that after I wrote it, and didn't really mean it like they are the only people who ever loitered in the street or whatever, and I'm not a redneck rascist either (that was my dad;my mom spent lots of time countering it ) But, anyone familiar with the neighborhood I'm describing knows what I mean. I guess I should have noted that I only meant that particular neighborhood, not meant to mean in general that white people aren't ever loiterers (sp?) either.

And I never said anyone was wrong about the people living somewhere, just talking aesthetics. And, purely by Texas numbers (not U.S), as a white girl, I'm now a minority in Texas.

Sorry this went so off topic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin