Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:36 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I actually thought about that after I wrote it, and didn't really mean it like they are the only people who ever loitered in the street or whatever, and I'm not a redneck rascist either (that was my dad;my mom spent lots of time countering it ) But, anyone familiar with the neighborhood I'm describing knows what I mean. I guess I should have noted that I only meant that particular neighborhood, not meant to mean in general that white people aren't ever loiterers (sp?) either.

And I never said anyone was wrong about the people living somewhere, just talking aesthetics. And, purely by Texas numbers (not U.S), as a white girl, I'm now a minority in Texas.

Sorry this went so off topic
Historically speaking, you've always been a minority in Texas....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 01:41 PM

13 posts, read 33,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfinallyInAustin View Post
Why is it only when groups of "minority boys and men" hanging out that the neighborhood is bad? I must say, I take huge offense to that. Personally, if I see any group of people loitering, no matter their race, I get nervous. It's not only minorities like myself who get into trouble when they are bored and have nothing to do. I really encourage you to rethink your thought process on that. It doesn't matter if it's minorities or majorities, boys or girls. Loitering is bad... period! Please do not perpetuate this type of thinking here.
I live in the middle of Chicago, and that's definitely what it means here. Usually accompanied by blue flashing police camera lights on the corners of the buildings too

Sorry if that offends you.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:16 PM

46 posts, read 164,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exceeder View Post
I live in the middle of Chicago, and that's definitely what it means here. Usually accompanied by blue flashing police camera lights on the corners of the buildings too

Sorry if that offends you.
It does offend me, and no you're not sorry (or you would not have went there knowing full well that I did say I was offended).

It's mentalities like yours which is why conditions will not get better for anyone. It's always the other group's fault. Well, guess what? This is all our country... every single American's. As long as we continue to put up barriers instead of trying to work together, inequalities will exist and that's what fuels a lot of these problems. As long as we continue moving away from "bad areas" instead of trying to fix them, then this problem will exist. Is everyone going to keep running from our problems? Good luck with that. Eventually, the problem will slap you in your face no matter where you are, because nobody is isolated from crime. It's not your problem to try to fix the entire nation, but it should be your priority to start in your own neighborhood. If everyone owned that and just looked out for their own area instead of moving away from the problem, then this nation will be a lot better off. Don't look at it as a huge, unmanageable problem. You take it one step at a time, and reclaim your neighborhood. Yes, that means Chicago just as much as it means Austin, Cedar Park, Round Rock, etc (and, yes, I do know all about Chi-town).

Old 09-17-2008, 02:24 PM

13 posts, read 33,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfinallyInAustin View Post
I do know all about Chi-town.
OK, I'm new to this forum, so I won't continue this, but good luck with that.

Edit: Here, why not give your "I do know all about Chi-town" advice to this guy, I'm sure he will appreciate it.

safety tips when in rough(er) areas

Last edited by Exceeder; 09-17-2008 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin