Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,616,925 times

Advertisements

CravenClan and Springbean -

Likewise, to both of you that are from CO.

I lived in CO most of my youth life, but born here in Texas. All of my family is actually from Texas. My father was stationed on Ft. Carson / Colo Spgs, CO in 1982 and lived there to 1987. When my father got stationed in Korea, they brought me to Austin in 87-88. Enjoyed my kid years here. Totally did redneck crap living in Oak-Hill got good shooting a BB gun my grand-pa's mailbox .

Then my dad retired and decided to move / settle in Colorado since we had a home still there. Went back in 89-96, then moved to Austin to be close to other family members. Which BTW is not all that.

Living here since 96, it's been great and totally dig the less colder winters, but as I progress older, having my own kids and family I look back and Austin to me has worn down some. Not to where I hate it by any means, but I just miss to colder months, snow and mountains and more mountains. Which I did not get to enjoy since my parents were never outdoor'sy back then.

I recently went back to Colorado, but in Denver area. My son and I went on a mountain bike epic tour and feel in love out there. The heat was comfortable @ 98 in July. I rolled down my windows and never did touch the ac button on my car.
I feel in love.
I don't like the low grade gas they have out there.

Springbean - what you said about all trail riding, moto-xing, 4x4ing, mountains and horseback riding. Those are the things I want to do now and here very limited to those hobbies.
I know money comes into play and I know that basically rule of thumb, I need to make at least 10% more in income to live the same lifestyle as I do here. I never felt that Denver was never expensive and access to the city and cross roads was easy to not get lost. Since I did not know Denver much, I pretty much kept out, but did hang around in the downtown / Washington Park area for one of my days out there.

IMHO - I have to agree that Austin does feel live Boulder / mixed w/ some of Denver. I think the trade off is very good for a Colorado resident to move here if they are tired of the colder months, which I am the opposite. My wife now is to totally opposite, SHE hates the COLD!! She loves Austin and we're both from Colorado (we meet there).

If we ever do make the move back, I am sure our lifestyle we have here will be down-graded lot lower, which I think my wife is NOT willing to give up (bigger sq ft home / pool) LoL!

Check out my Front Range review:

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...ange-trip.html

Oh - I do not want to say I had enough of Austin though...
Since I am not fond of live bands and not into clubs, I just basically keep away from Austin. Well... unless I am going for some BBQ, lake visits or stroll out in the hill country. Oh,,, gotta love the peaches out in Fredericksburg.
I do love the people here in Texas / Austin, which is the main reason why we're still here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 PM

368 posts, read 1,785,547 times
CravenClan, Springbean, and Mike78613,

While I am not a CO native, we did live in Bailey & Evergreen for three years. It was truly surreal at times.

We'd both go back in a second, but we'd also not likely live above 7K feet, again. Snow is neat, but feet of it at a time can be tough. For us flatlanders, it's amazing when nothing is flat...anywhere. Well, anywhere west of say, Kipling.

Like you Mike78613, neither of us are big on clubs/live music, though we haven't found a place for the blues, yet, and I can dig on some good blues. Clubs we've seen obviously aren't meant for those of us who enjoy music which is both in-tune and has lyrics which are understandable. I'm sick of hearing people who can't carry a tune and have no rhythm attempting to sing.

To me, Boulder is similar to Austin, but in a very uppity, trying-to-be-hip way. Plus, I question anyone who wears socks with sandals... C'mon.

When we were there, we did miss good Mexican food, BBQ was tough, but we'd come back to TX annually, so we'd make certain to make the most of it. Found a couple of decent Mexican joints, but BBQ was a challenge.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mckellyb View Post
CravenClan, Springbean, and Mike78613,

When we were there, we did miss good Mexican food, BBQ was tough, but we'd come back to TX annually, so we'd make certain to make the most of it. Found a couple of decent Mexican joints, but BBQ was a challenge.
I have a funny story to tell you. When we were out in CO in July we heading down I70 and took the exit to Idaho Springs, put some gas in and next door was a BBQ joint. My son and I said, "Let's try it out; GULP".

As soon as we parked and walked in, I asked the guy @ the booth hows the BBQ today.
First thing that came out of his mouth was, good... better then Rudys!

** I questioned and asked what made him bring up Rudys. He said lots of his out of state customers come here. I said, "You saw my license plate and saw Austin stamped on my forehead, huh?". He starts to laugh and all kidding aside, he did say he figure I was in Central Texas since lots of his customers come out this way. But he did admit that he used to work as a district manager out in Amarillo for a BBQ joint out there in the 90's and visited Austin a good bit and always had to stop for some Rudys.

-But he did say his BBQ was better. I said ok, let me try your brisket sandwich.
Which by all means it was OK, but the BBQ sauce they has was some generic chipotle sauce, sweet BBQ and something else that really tasted nasty. As the owner comes by, he asked me what I think. I just wanted to be polite and said it was good, gave it a thumbs up, but the brisket, I could not taste the wood flavor. I was out in about 10 minutes.
So yea.... BBQ in Colorado is true. So if anyone here ever wants to start making a good business in CO, put out some good Texan BBQ. They need it out there!! 4-reals.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:26 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
There was one place downtown when we lived there that had pretty good bbq. I think it was near the stadium. But I'll have to third that it's kinda hit or miss out there as far as bbq goes. We also liked a place out in Aurora, KC's, I think it was called. It was a hole in the wall but we really liked it. The wing place in Morrison was good too. The only place we went in Idaho Springs was Tommyknockers, and we usually just went for beer and pizza. I kinda miss Mountain Pie

Old 12-13-2008, 09:35 PM

142 posts, read 455,380 times
Does anyone really have to leave?
Does anyone know how hard it is to leave your home town?
Where is home now and what makes it your home?
When do you know you have to leave?
I am in Austin now and I like it but its just not home. There is no home now.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:18 AM

47 posts, read 189,232 times
Texas is home. Born and raised.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilelady View Post
Does anyone really have to leave?
Does anyone know how hard it is to leave your home town?
Where is home now and what makes it your home?
When do you know you have to leave?
I am in Austin now and I like it but its just not home. There is no home now.
I'm playing it safe right now. I almost left, but the way this economy is people are in trouble finding jobs or jobs that pay decent to afford cost of living. Even me right now, I am working two-jobs. You know........ back-up relief

Something to think about and IMHO the economy as "A WHOLE" is going to be in deeper trouble.

Oh BTW........ how you all lovin the 1.47 a gallon gas price? Did you know that Mr. BUSH just recently purchased a Mansion home out in Dallas? All that money................ someone was doing something right when he was in "house".

Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 PM

142 posts, read 455,380 times
Default I'm playing it safe right now. I almost left

Mike where were you thinking of going?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilelady View Post
Mike where were you thinking of going?

I was planning to leave this past November after a wonderful interview, but passed on that offer due to smaller company and start up.
Couple more years........ I need to increase my 401k.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:15 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,289,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The vast majority of people moving into Austin move here from other parts of Texas. There isn't even a close second - I think it's something like 70% of new people are from other Texas cities.
So I guess people who are from other areas of Texas are the real "problem," not Californians. Anyone on this board match this description? Maybe someone with the initials AT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin