Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 09:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

But not so different (or so far apart, for that matter) that you can't get an accurate report on Austin from someone who lives in Pflugerville/Round Rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But not so different (or so far apart, for that matter) that you can't get an accurate report on Austin from someone who lives in Pflugerville/Round Rock.
Yes but it's the differences that makes all the difference in the world and automatically equating one to the other is an oversimplification and just plain bad geography, like not being able to differentiate between Williamson county(RED) from Travis(BLUE). Northern Ireland and Ireland are not the same country just b/c they share the same island........

Old 12-15-2008, 11:06 PM

739 posts, read 3,057,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Yes but it's the differences that makes all the difference in the world and automatically equating one to the other is an oversimplification and just plain bad geography, like not being able to differentiate between Williamson county(RED) from Travis(BLUE). Northern Ireland and Ireland are not the same country just b/c they share the same island........
Oh Please.... First, I live in TRAVIS county with a Round Rock address. Second, it is not "just plain bad geography". I live 10 miles from downtown Austin. Around 15 minutes to get there, which is probably faster than a lot of places that actually have an Austin zip code. So, I spend a lot of time there. Just because I CHOOSE to live in a suburb of Austin doesn't mean I cant offer my opinion, which was asked for thank you very much, of what it is like to live in the Austin area.

Get over yourself.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 AM

17 posts, read 66,558 times
slow down........deep breath you are in Texas now.......decompress from the California ways

Old 12-16-2008, 07:41 AM

17 posts, read 66,558 times
Actually WILCO is starting to turn BLUE check the polls from the last election

Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
verybadgnome. Stop being so naughty. You're splitting hairs. YES I know Austin is different than the suburbs. I saw that with my own eyes visiting last spring. Most people are smart enough to realize a city and surrounding suburbs will vary neighborhood to neighborhood and burb to burb. I asked Shax for his opinion and he was kind enough to answer my request. Now let's play nicely. Please.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
verybadgnome. Stop being so naughty. You're splitting hairs. YES I know Austin is different than the suburbs. I saw that with my own eyes visiting last spring. Most people are smart enough to realize a city and surrounding suburbs will vary neighborhood to neighborhood and burb to burb. I asked Shax for his opinion and he was kind enough to answer my request. Now let's play nicely. Please.
Splitting hair from an outsiders perspecitve perhaps but seriously when you start mixing in city jurisdictions like RR and PF with the Clarksvilles, Circle Cs, Shady Hollows, and Hyde Parks how confusing do you think that is to newcomers? As an aside I have seen numerous posts on this board saying how such and such city is so much different than Austin in regards to X; that the distinction is of such importance that people are willing to go out of their way to broadcast it.

A city is a city, a municipal utility distict is a municipal utility district, and a neighborhood is a neighborhood. I'll make a compromise and say that anything in the three county region - Travis, Williamson, and Hays - is part of the "Greater Austin Area."

Last edited by verybadgnome; 12-17-2008 at 07:48 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,642 times
I moved here at the exact same time as the OP, and I (for one) am loving it! The food is fantastic, the people are super friendly (and "real" as someone previously pointed out), there's always something fun to do. My favorite thing, so far, is the goofy stuff at the Alamo Theater like the "Labrynth" sing-a-long, and the "Evil Dead" quote-a-long. I'm not wild about my commute since I work north & live south.

Also, I like that it feels like Christmas out right now. Unlike SoCal. Not TOO cold (and no shovelling out the car), but nice and crisp. I like that my co-workers don't go on and on about empty calories when someone brings in holiday cookies (again, unlike SoCal). There's always great (and not so great, heh) live music going on.

I like the funky houses and business signs. Hmmmm... what else? I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I just love it here. It's charming and eclectic and fun.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Splitting hair from an outsiders perspecitve perhaps
verybadgnome, I've been here for just a hair short of 40 years and have watched the suburbs (of which Round Rock is not one - it was its own town long before Austin engulfed it and made it pretty much indistinguishable from itself without a map) and much of the center city of Austin grow. When I first came here, Mopac was a railroad and Mopac and 2222 was way out in the boonies. As was 183 and Lamar - there was a great little burger joint just southeast of 183 and Lamar, WAY out in the country, that served the BEST chocolate malts! Worth the drive from the UT area.

So I don't think I qualify as an "outsider".

Old 02-01-2009, 03:10 PM

113 posts, read 309,666 times
I plan on moving too but i will use u-haul. You sound like a nice easy going person. I hope that will not happen to me. I have a real bad temper. I would be mad, crying and yelling at everyone. I am so glad you make it there. I wish that i could be more like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin