Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,030,093 times

Advertisements

Do you think it's possible for libral leaning Atheists to ever really feel at home in Austin, and the surrounding suburbs? I guess I mean more of the suburbs - as that's where we will be until kids are grown and out of school.

I mean, after all, it still is Texas - and you all know the stereotypes. (Which, good or bad, are there for a reason... as with any state's stereotypes.)

I was kind of shocked that the statesman had a "Faith" section weekly... and my friend in Waco said she doesn't even know anyone who doesn't "believe" in god... or would admit to it... (I know Waco is a whole other area...)

Old 01-31-2007, 02:30 PM

447 posts, read 1,844,650 times
I had the same concerns in moving to Texas - I'm not an atheist, but I am a very openminded Unitarian, and am not raising my children as Christians, so I was concerned. Coming to Texas as a lifelong New Englander, I was nervous that I would be seen as some sort of "going to hell" freakshow!

I'm out in the suburbs, and here is just MY take on it. It is a lot more "Christian" out here - seems like everyone goes to church on the weekends, more often than not has their child in a religious preschool, etc, etc. I definitely feel the presence of the influence of a strong religious presence - let me put it this way. My oldest (1st grade) goes to a public elementary school, but comes home full of questions about what the Bible is and Jesus Christ and all of that - not from his teacher, but from all his friends on the playground.

I'm not going to lie and say that doesn't hit a nerve with my husband and I - it's tough to explain "our" family's beliefs are so different from those of his friends. We encourage him to make his own decisions and hold his own beliefs, but it's tough to hear him automatically believe what we don't because "all his friends" say that is true. We bite our tongues a lot.

That being said, I have never once felt attacked, insulted, or any negativity over our different beliefs - more that we are just "fish out of water", if that makes sense. We're looking to move to South Austin this summer or next for a variety of reasons, but one benefit is that we HEARD it was less "organized religion"ish down there (no idea if that is true)

Old 01-31-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That being said, I have never once felt attacked, insulted, or any negativity over our different beliefs - more that we are just "fish out of water", if that makes sense.
It totally makes sense, as I think we feel the same!

Quote:
We encourage him to make his own decisions and hold his own beliefs, but it's tough to hear him automatically believe what we don't because "all his friends" say that is true. We bite our tongues a lot.
Yes!! All the things my oldest son (also 1st) has come home with (and not just here - back in WA too) are kind of ridiculous. My husband, who leans toward Agnostic, but practices some Buddist beliefs has taught our children a bit about Buddhism - and one day my six year old said that he was told if you sit in meditation (as Buddhists tend to do) then you are praying to the devil!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:50 PM

2,268 posts, read 7,308,470 times
It's amazing how different things can be in the burbs. I live in Central Austin and have never ever been approached about church or religion. Oh wait, I take that back, a Jehovah's Witness did come to my door once. But that's it. You two both sound like you'd be happier in Austin.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:00 PM

LOL - what? We agree on something?

Yes, same here. My son came home and said that the Bible is a bunch of instructions from God. I took the deep inward breath and explained that a lot of people believe that, and that's okay, but that mommy and daddy believe that the Bible is more of a very important historical book, not that it actually is the word of God. He looked at me very seriously for a minute or two and said "Mommy, I'm really worried about you. I think you might go to hell"

Delightful. He never even heard about hell before moving to Texas!

Yes, I must get my butt closer to the city, lol! And I also need to check out the Unitarian church in Austin - we just haven't settled in enough to add that to our list, but now that we feel more like this is "home", we need to check it out. I loved my Unitarian church in Providence!!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:03 PM

15,243 posts, read 35,471,075 times
I am not an athiest, but not a regular church goer, either. I live in SW Austin, and reading this I started thinking about it, and I have no idea if any of my neighbors go to church, and if they do, where. Now, I don't avoid my neighbors, in fact, we get along great, it just has never come up..... The only exception is our very good friends that live next door (they were in our wedding) and they go to a unitarian church. My wife has gone with them on occasion, but also goes to the Lutheran or Catholic chursh. Frankly, to her it depends on where the singing is best.....

Old 01-31-2007, 03:10 PM

My husband and I would ABSOLUTELY be happier in Austin... but without $400k to drop on a house, and because I do think the quality of life for kiddos is better in the suburbs - we are here!

Tracey, we might just be friends yet! We both have first graders - ooohhh playdate! Don't worry, I won't make you come slummin' out here on the East side (throws up gang sign)!!

Old 01-31-2007, 03:22 PM

Okay, okay, I'm laughing!!

We're considering the SW suburbs - the areas we're looking at are 10 miles outside the center of Austin (versus the 23 miles we are now), but the houses are affordable (really! we're looking at the 230k range) and the schools are recognized/exemplary (at least the elementary and middle) The 2 high schools of the areas we are looking at (Bowie and Austin) have good reputations for AISD, so I hear.

I would love to live in a loft right downtown, but alas, with 3 kids, ain't gonna happen! I totally agree with you that, for me and my family, we need to be in somewhat of suburbia for the kids, but I think that the SW suburbs are more "my style". Hopefully we can make it happen. I work 8-5, M-F at UTexas, so I can't take this commute and the lack of family time much longer.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:03 PM

99 posts, read 484,965 times
traceyr13,
Do you mind sharing the neighborhoods that feed into the Bowie and Austin HS? We are relocating from WI and would like to find a similar community.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:57 PM

Sure - we're looking at the Village at Western Oaks, Legend Oaks, Shady Hollow, and Cherry Creek, I think. If you look in 78749 and some areas of 78748, that will pull them up. I always double check the school zoning at austinisd.org (put in the bus route locator and then the address) since I still haven't definitively figured out what neighborhoods go where (since sometimes it seems like they are zoned to more than one school)

HTH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin