Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 AM

33 posts, read 135,594 times

Advertisements

We rec'd a sales survey from Travis Central Appraisal District that asks what we bought our house for. They say it is to help them do "fair and accurate appraisal of homes".

Our house's last appraisal is below what we paid. If I tell them, won't they increase our appraisal/taxes?

It appears this is voluntary, I just can't think of any good reason to fill it out, so thought I would ask in case I am missing something.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Don't do it. Texas is a nondisclosure state and you are under no compulsion to do so.

And, yes, they will raise your appraisal/taxes if you tell them.

If you paid significantly more than the appraisal, it would be to your advantage to use that information when it comes time to challenge your appraisal. Otherwise, no.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM

46 posts, read 164,255 times
I got one at the end of last week also. I'm not going to send it back because, yes, they will raise your property's assessed value which will raise your tax liability. At least, this will happen if you purchased the house for more money than it was last assessed.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 AM

33 posts, read 135,594 times
Thank you!!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times
If you have your property professionally appraised, aren't you required to report the valuation?

Old 08-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Now, that's the first time I've ever heard that one. And what kind of professional appraisal, for what purpose? There are several different kinds that might each get a slightly different result.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Only tell them what you paid, if your tax appraisal is over that amount! Otherwise, keep it to yourself. Sales price is not public information in Texas.

(And because of that, you cannot rely on Zillow, house almanac or other national data banks for Texas home values. They rely on public data and in Texas there isn't any sales data, so they use tax appraisals which have no direct relation to market value.)

Old 08-25-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Now, that's the first time I've ever heard that one. And what kind of professional appraisal, for what purpose? There are several different kinds that might each get a slightly different result.
Well, it's been awhile since we protested our property valuation with TCAD, but my recollection is that the paperwork said that getting an independent appraisal could work for or against a property owner. If the appraisal was lower, TCAD would adjust accordingly. Of course, it works the other way too.

Now this could have just been from a bad dream....

But when our propert appraisal went up 13% this year even though neighborhood homes are reduced in price and taking months to sell, we were tempted to get an independent appraisal.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:18 PM

Hmmm. When we protested our property valuation with TCAD (successfully, by the way), we didn't have to provide an appraisal. Since a current appraisal wouldn't speak to the time period on which the tax valuation is based, it probably wouldn't be very useful.

But that sounds like a heads up to someone who's maybe considering getting a professional appraisal for evidence to use in a protest, not a requirement that any such appraisal be provided to the tax office.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 PM

It was a bad dream. I called TCAD: if you choose to get an independent appraisal to compare to TCAD's appraisal but it turns out equal or higher, you don't have to share it with TCAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: