Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:39 PM

68 posts, read 376,352 times

Advertisements

I need to get my car inspected (which we don't have to do in Kansas -- where I moved from) and I've found approved inspection places, but was wondering if I needed to make an appointment or not, how long it usually takes, and how much it usually costs. As I said, I just moved from Kansas and we don't have to get yearly vehicle inspections so any help will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
The rates for inspection are set by the counties. If you live in Travis or Williamson county, the inspection will cost more (due to emissions inspection) than the other CTx counties. Most oil change places do the inspection and, w/o emissions check, it takes about 10 minutes - not counting waiting, though. You don't need an appointment, but many of the places only have the mechanic doing the inspection on duty at certain hourse, so it is better to call ahead. Maybe ask them when they are least busy, too. Fewer of the oil places in Travis/Williamson do the inspection now, since they need more equipment for the emissions test, but that is probably slowly changing.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:57 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Casey, when you see the 'Official Inspection' sign visually check to see if the place is busy. If there's more than one or two cars in the bay then you might find a not so busy place. Wherever, just pull around back (typically) to line up. You'll need current proof of insurance. If you've never had an inspection you may need to take your state title (proof of ownership) with you. If you have Texas plates, you have a title or current registration receipt.

Before going, make sure all the lights work, blinkers, backup, brights and that the wipers are in good condition. If you don't pass you'll get charged anyway, will have to fix up and then go back to complete. There shouldn't be any additional charge if you have to go back. I suspect most cars don't have a problem unless it's pretty old.

I think the cost is something around 30 to 40 bucks and shouldn't take more than 10 to 20 minutes if there's no wait. Inspection places tend to be busier at the end or beginning of the month. I try to go around 'a middle part' of the month.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:34 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Last time I went, I used The Sticker Stop on Burnet Rd just north of 183. That's all they do, so it was quick and painless. I was out of there in 15 minutes or less. Make sure you bring proof of insurance - they won't inspect your vehicle without it. Cost me $28.75.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:45 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,574,446 times
You can also go to a car dealership they all charge the $28.75! I have used Terries on Burnet in the past [Burnet between Anderson Ln and 2222(Koenig)]. As they said above make sure that you have insurance and proof of ownership. From their it is on to the Secretary of State and then finally to the Comptrolers office to pay. The process might have been changed as it was an amazing waste of time to get it done. Your typical government (no offence meant to anyone) at work. SLOW and INEFFICIENT!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 AM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
From their it is on to the Secretary of State and then finally to the Comptrolers office to pay.
Do you mean this is where your money goes? 'Cause I've never had to physically go anywhere other than the inspection station.

Leander has a business that only does inspections...it gets busy at the end of the month, with an hour wait. But at less busy times, it wasn't so bad.

Since I'm a girl, I like to go to the oil change place that also does inspections b/c they can overcharge me to change a worn blade if I need one.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:16 AM

89 posts, read 418,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyRyan View Post
I need to get my car inspected (which we don't have to do in Kansas -- where I moved from) and I've found approved inspection places, but was wondering if I needed to make an appointment or not, how long it usually takes, and how much it usually costs. As I said, I just moved from Kansas and we don't have to get yearly vehicle inspections so any help will be appreciated!
How old / new is your car? These inspections are a joke. I got a 1981 GMC pick-up in good running order a few years ago to use once in a while to take trash to the dump, etc. I overhauled the engine myself, she runs great but I did not replace any of the emissions pumps or equipment (very hard to find and not worth it). Well I found out that since I live in Travis county it will not pass inspection, that's just wrong because emissions equipment has nothing to do with safety.

It's registered in my son's name in another county

Old 08-22-2008, 08:44 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
I had mine done last weekend; it was $28.75. I usually call ahead to see if there's a wait. My receipt just said "emissions test." Does Texas even do a safety inspection?

The shop I went to was a little busy at the time (I didn't call) so the guy at the front desk pulled my car around and did the inspection himself.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:51 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Quote:
that's just wrong because emissions equipment has nothing to do with safety
It is not a safety inspection, it is an auto inspection, which includes both safety and emissions. I suppose you could consider it 'wrong' to try and have clean air . Anyway, there are some exemptions for older vehicles, not sure what is entailed, though....

Old 08-22-2008, 09:04 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkk View Post
Well I found out that since I live in Travis county it will not pass inspection, that's just wrong because emissions equipment has nothing to do with safety.

It's registered in my son's name in another county
Parkk, if it's registered in another county you should be able to go there to get the inspection. The county of registration might be shown on the window sticker. I had moved from Dallas County to Bell County so the sticker showed Dallas County. The inspector said he couldn't do it because Dallas County requires emissions testing and they don't do that in Bell County. I had the Bell County registration with me as I always have them put in both registration and inspection stickers at the same time so he was able to do the inspection. Check the county name on your registration window sticker. If it's a county that doesn't require emissions testing then you're in luck.

And it's loosely called a 'safety' inspection because historically it was a 'safety' inspection. Brakes, light, wipers.... safety stuff. Not necessarily a bad idea. Maybe hydrogen fuel cells would be a good idea. The inspector can drink the water. If the auto fails the inspector dies... LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin