Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 8,841 times

Advertisements

I need some advice desperately. My husband and I currently live in Washington state and are thinking of moving to Texas. We are originally from Oklahoma, where we both grew up. However, the hot Oklahoma summers drove us here to Vancouver, Washington for milder temps. My husband is a welder and will need work. Any advice as to best area? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 10:14 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times
Its HOT just about everywhere in Texas, but if you do outdoor work I'd avoid Houston or anything on the gulf coast, not only is it HOT its humid as well. The humidity is usually around 90% or greater. The further west you go the drier it is, but its still blazing hot in the summer months. Perhaps try the panhandle region, around Amarillo, its drier up there, somewhat cooler, but probably like Oklahoma.

I'm in Austin, today I went shopping in shorts and a sleeveless shirt, it was in the 80's. Summers start early here, around March, end about November. Check out National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report for historic highs, hows, averages, etc.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:48 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Summers in Oklahoma (or at least Oklahoma City) are much better than most of Texas. Winters are worse.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:06 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I would worry about finding a job first! Employment, then location! Do you have families in OK who can help you network there? Oklahoma City and Tulsa are doing well.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:50 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,544 times
[quote=compSciGuy;4993255]Summers in Oklahoma (or at least Oklahoma City) are much better than most of Texas. Winters are worse.[/quote

Better in what respect? Certainly Austin is not that much hotter in summer. The humidity is not much higher. (Maybe there's not as much of a breeze in Austin because there's not an F3 or 4 tornado coming through all the time?)

Moderator cut: links removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:24 AM..

Old 08-25-2008, 08:58 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Its HOT just about everywhere in Texas, but if you do outdoor work I'd avoid Houston or anything on the gulf coast, not only is it HOT its humid as well. The humidity is usually around 90% or greater. The further west you go the drier it is, but its still blazing hot in the summer months. Perhaps try the panhandle region, around Amarillo, its drier up there, somewhat cooler, but probably like Oklahoma.

I'm in Austin, today I went shopping in shorts and a sleeveless shirt, it was in the 80's. Summers start early here, around March, end about November. Check out National and Local Weather Forecast, Radar, Map and Report for historic highs, hows, averages, etc.
Actually, in Austin and Houston, summer starts in May and ends by mid October. That doesn't mean there aren't a few unpleasant days earlier or later, but on average, it isn't consistently uncomfortable until May through early October. In West TX and the Panhandle, summer doesn't really get going until June, and September brings cooler weather. There are lots of weather data resources online where you can find average temperatures for any city in the country (and world).

Old 08-26-2008, 12:01 PM

6 posts, read 88,162 times
I love Austin, i have lived a lot of places across the country and for me, it doesn't get better than Austin. One of the things that i really like is that it still has a small town feel to it. Its growing and its a large city, but i will see the same guy that changed my oil or my same waitress that i had later on in the day at the Alamo draft house or some place like that. I love running into people over and over again. I just love how relaxed it is and its a chill place to live.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
IF you can find work (or don't need to), my vote goes to the Alpine/Marfa/Fort Davis area. The humidity is largely absent, and the scenery is beautiful. I can hardly stand the humidity in Fort Worth; I certainly wouldn't want to be any closer to the Gulf of Mexico than I am. If you need a city environment, Lubbock or Amarillo (and possibly Midland-Odessa) might be appropriate.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:20 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
[quote=Eastender67;4995679]
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
Summers in Oklahoma (or at least Oklahoma City) are much better than most of Texas. Winters are worse.[/quote

Better in what respect? Certainly Austin is not that much hotter in summer. The humidity is not much higher. (Maybe there's not as much of a breeze in Austin because there's not an F3 or 4 tornado coming through all the time?)

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Better in the respect that I've lived 17 years of my life in Austin, Texas and the last 2 over here. I am going off my personal observation, and know there are variances that I obviously don't see, ... but also know there are lots of people full of it and will lie about things like the weather, etc. just to justify their progressive oasis is better than someplace they deem inferior. Yes, there are nice and crappy days throughout the year and plenty of extreme temperature swings in both cities (in college I used to laugh about those days in Austin going from 80-something to 30-something, always seeing somebody who didn't pay attention to the weather report running around in shorts while freezing their butts off). Some web link that just lists stated average temperature for a month doesn't give that. I've been more affected by tornadoes in Austin than over here (was trapped in a flooding basement for hours at UT-Austin where the F5 was killing people in Jarrell and other more minor tornadoes were out and about in Austin), and while I understand your attempt at humor, from a scientific perspective the reasons why there are so many tornadoes are intertwined with the location being a meeting place between 2 climate zones (and highly relevant to the more mild weather). Austin is noticeably hotter from the springtime throughout the summer and beyond, plus it's typically much more humid than Oklahoma City. As a guesstimate, I would say typically a 82 in Austin feels like an 89 in Oklahoma City.

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:24 AM..

Old 08-27-2008, 10:35 PM

120 posts, read 461,185 times
You bumped a 5 month old thread just to brag about Oklahoma city's abysmal weather. Why? The TC only has one post and she hasn't been back since march.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin