Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:29 PM

739 posts, read 3,047,579 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy tickets for the game verses Arkansas and since I have never been to the stadium, I was hoping someone could fill me in on which would be a better section to sit:

section 124
section 132
section 107
section 15

These are sections that I can afford at the moment. Do they all have seatbacks? Where are the bleacher seats? Lastly, what is the best way to get to the game from Round Rock? Are there places to park and take a shuttle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 08:13 PM

Update: I couldn't wait for a reply and scored two tickets for $104 total in section 117. Not the best but for $52 a ticket, I can't complain!

Still, what is the best way to get to a game?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:14 PM

6,330 posts, read 17,981,491 times
I've only been to one game there, about 10 years ago, and I believe all the seats were bleacher style (metal benches), though I did not inspect the entire stadium. There are no seatbacks, as found in baseball stadiums. Many people bring special portable seatbacks that latch onto the bench.

You can find an online seating chart for the stadium if you search. I'd say you mainly want to make sure you buy tickets on the UT side so you're not sitting with the opposing fans. Also, many tickets sold on Craigslist are "student" tickets, with which you can gain admittance only with a UT student ID, so make sure you didn't buy a student ticket.

Steve

Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I will call the ticket office and see if the new part of the stadium (where we will be) has backs or not. Also, I bought the tickets off a professional broker with great feedback and I am fairly sure (will have to double check) that they are not student tickets.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,791,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Update: I couldn't wait for a reply and scored two tickets for $104 total in section 117. Not the best but for $52 a ticket, I can't complain!

Still, what is the best way to get to a game?
Judging from the seating chart, 117 is in the new south side upper deck -- it's only been open one game. It's behind the endzone, but probably nice and new, although no seat backs (you can rent or bring your own, though). You will probably be watching the Godzillatron most of the time, because it's kind of hard to look away...

So is this for the Arkansas game? Should be a pretty lively one to watch. You'll have the best time, I guarantee it.

Best way to get to the game on gameday (is that what you were asking?):

* Shuttle buses. If you are in S/SW Austin, you can park at the Barton Creek mall and take the shuttle from there. From the North, you can take the one at 51st street and Lamar, near the Intramural Fields.
-or-
* Park downtown. It's a bit of a walk, but doable. You can park in a garage or maybe find a lucky meter space a few blocks farther away.

Parking at the stadium or near campus is practically impossible.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM

426 posts, read 1,667,675 times
We're students (live in RR though) that go to the games... we exit Manor, head west across the highway and park on the side streets through there. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium but have never had an issue with safety/security. To get a reasonable spot, you need to arrive 2 hours before the game at least. From RR, none of the park and rides are very useful to us.

We sat upper deck for one season and I didn't like it all too much. View isn't bad but I didn't like the atmosphere... but then again money is often an issue and it's almost impossible to get affordable lower level seats. We're 10th row infront of the godzillatron in the south endzone this year.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the tip! What was wrong with the atmosphere?

Old 09-01-2008, 01:32 PM

426 posts, read 1,667,675 times
When I was in the east upper deck it was too quiet - I can see well but you're not connected to the rest of the stadium in the noise - etc. The students that are up there are generally pretty quiet... it's just totally different being in the middle of it all down in the lower deck but, as I said, I completely understand it's tough to get seats down there.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:59 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,124,713 times
I went to my first horns game on Saturday. We sat in sec. 15; I was surprised how cramped the seating is. No room to move/get up. A friend owns the seats that we sat in and he pays extra for little seatbacks, thankfully.

The crowd was pretty tame. Probably a combination of the opponent and lack of beer. It was ok and I'll probably check out another game this season.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,547,555 times
Section 117 is in the new section in the North end zone and it's bleacher seats without seatbacks. It seems to have a bit more legroom than the older bleacher seats around the stadium. You can bring your own seatbacks or you can rent big padded ones at the game for $7 each. The nice thing about the upper section that you're in is that you'll actually be able to sit down for most of the game if you choose. In the lower sections, especially on the East side of the stadium, entire sections will stand for the entire game forcing you to stand as well. The West side tends to sit a bit more. You'll have a nice view of the field and a perfect view of the scoreboard screen. When you enter the new North Endzone gate, you'll see a couple new food places and a new Starbucks inside.

You can park for $10 in some of the garages around campus. I normally park in San Antonio Garage (SAG) on the West side of campus and walk all the way across campus to the stadium. It's a good idea to get to the game a couple (or few) hours early. If you park on the West side, you can stop and eat lunch somewhere and possibly get a beer before the game since you can't buy them inside the stadium. You can also go into the Co-op on Guadalupe to look around if you haven't been in there. The Co-op outlet is just a few doors down from there on the Drag as well and you can pick up UT t-shirts for $5 to $10 each.

This link provides some good info for the first timer. It talks about the $5 Huddle shuttle if you want to avoid driving to campus.
TEXAS LONGHORNS Official Athletic Site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin