Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 06:26 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,015,840 times

Advertisements

If we are to the far west of the hurricane, then you can get the heat compression effect and we'll have high temps. Usually the northeast quadrant has the heaviest rain, and the whole east side is likely to spin off tornados.

Sometimes, the only thing that can break a drought is the heavy rain of a tropical storm. I'd say that we are at least 1-2 days ahead of knowing what to expect. Check out the weather underground to stay informed, especially Jeff Master's blog.
Welcome to Weather Underground : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 06:28 PM

260 posts, read 901,399 times
LOL!!! El Paso is even listed. I suspect it's so the city can get funding for shelters and such.

Austin traffic is gonna suck this weekend. I'm staying home. I wonder if the stores will run out of bottled water like it did when Rita was coming?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:36 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,615,802 times
The SA board has a great explanation for the thing from Rick Perry, basically it opens up money to make it easier to get special needs type of folks out of the danger zone to those other counties.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
If we are to the far west of the hurricane, then you can get the heat compression effect and we'll have high temps. Usually the northeast quadrant has the heaviest rain, and the whole east side is likely to spin off tornados.
I remember when Rita hit, it was really really HOT here; we headed to the river for a swim that day. I hope we are not on the east side; a lot of rain would be good though.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM

I found the SA thread earlier (where I learned about the Rick Perry announcement). If you go read the latest, apparently a meteorologist in SA is saying they could see 100 mph+ wind gusts and a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane. Looks like folks in San Antonio are starting to panic already. Isn't it a bit early to start such panic? I haven't seen our local news yet so I don't know what they are saying for us.

I keep telling myself it's smart to have some supplies on hand in case of an extended power outage (Central TX storms) but never get around to buying it. I at least have some bottled water and a 12 pack of Capri Suns.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:20 PM

835 posts, read 1,317,735 times
We really won't know until later as The Loop Current can turn a TS into a Cat 5 in mere hours as it did with Rita. The Loop Current will be under Ike as it moves to Texas. The loop comes in at the Yucatan strait up to the Texas coast and then turns back to Florida and outflows at the Keys and this warm body of Agua has be responsible for some of the quickest intensification of storms on record. All we can do is wait and hope for rain...The rain does seem to not like Austin very much.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:24 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,028,737 times
Anyone know what generally happens when a football game gets cancelled due to weather - it's Longhorns vs Arkansas this weekend and I have tickets!

Old 09-08-2008, 10:36 PM

283 posts, read 1,277,429 times
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
We really won't know until later as The Loop Current can turn a TS into a Cat 5 in mere hours as it did with Rita. The Loop Current will be under Ike as it moves to Texas. The loop comes in at the Yucatan strait up to the Texas coast and then turns back to Florida and outflows at the Keys and this warm body of Agua has be responsible for some of the quickest intensification of storms on record. All we can do is wait and hope for rain...The rain does seem to not like Austin very much.
Have you been inhaling too much "pollen" or something?

Old 09-08-2008, 10:43 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,028,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artifice View Post
b....body....loop...bb......... what????

Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,272,405 times
The same thing that always happens when a hurricane gets anywhere near us:

1. Weather channel says we will get lots of rain

2. Absolutely nothing happens (no wind or rain) and we end up having weather that's even HOTTER and DRIER due to the hurricane sucking all the moisture out of the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin