Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 PM

109 posts, read 292,219 times

Advertisements

Seriously? Is this really necessary? I hope my daughter's preschool does not cancel school since they follow the public school calender.

This seems excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 04:01 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
We're having early release tomorrow, but they say it's because they are using the schools as shelters for evacuees.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:12 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,649,461 times
Lots of schools are shelters and they don't want guests and kids to mingle. Also since we are so flood prone in this area that is the last thing you want a bus driverto have to deal with.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:14 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Are they expecting high winds that soon in your area? If so I would rather NOT Have my child in a school or on a bus coming home.

I know in my area, they also use the schools as shelters and have to make preperations. I should imagine alot of people coming from closer to the coast will be in your area and need a place to stay. I hear they are evacuating alot of people from The Valley, there are alot of elderly down there who have special needs and are on medication. Lets hope there isn't a repeat of the bus fire that happened last time. That broke my heart.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
My kids private school and daycare are also closing early. They follow AISD in matters of weather, the goal is to get everyone home and off the roads to reduce crowding and congestion. I understand that all AISD middle schools will be shelters. FEMA has already set up shop in the old JC Penney's space in Highland Mall. I live central and certainly with Rita, the Houston folks were very evident, I imagine this will be even more intense.

Already went grocery shopping today!

Old 09-11-2008, 04:35 PM

109 posts, read 292,219 times
I didn't think about needing the schools for evacuation sites. That makes more sense. I was so surprised because I was thinking Austin wasn't going to see much from this.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Residents from the coast are going north. Even Houston is prone to flooding as it's only 50 ft above sea level. Evacuees will work their way north looking for a place to stay.

I read that this storm is wide and can pose water dangers.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:27 PM

260 posts, read 904,386 times
LISD hasn't made a decision yet; my son came home with his nap blanket (he's in kindergarten) which is normally sent home on Friday. My guess is he will not be attending school due to evacuees.

My son wasn't in school during Rita- how long did we house evacuees in schools? Is it only for the storm period? Just curious if we'll be business as normal on Monday.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:22 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,096,785 times
I'm guessing that we'll be back to normal on Monday, I know that the Harris County (Houston) courts are planning to be back open Monday. They open more shelters on the basis of need, like a branching tree, and then reverse the process when they close them. So there might be a few shelters still open on Monday but hopefully, if the storm isn't too bad, most folks will be headed home by Monday.

Check out the Houston Chronicle site on-line to follow the storm.
Houston news, entertainment, search and shopping | chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 09-11-2008, 06:23 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,057,374 times
This is the email we got around 5.20pm today....

All campuses in Round Rock ISD will be released early on Friday, September 12, in order to alleviate the traffic congestion that is anticipated due to the arrival of evacuees from Hurricane Ike. The early release will also allow families to prepare for any possible severe weather conditions which may occur due to the hurricane.
The announcement was made after consultation with the National Weather Service and with the District's partners in the Austin-Travis County Emergency Operations Center.
The dismissal schedule for Round Rock ISD is as follows:
· 12:45 p.m. - Elementary Schools
· 1:30 p.m. - Middle Schools
· 2 p.m. - High Schools
Breakfast and lunch will be available for students before dismissal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: