Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 03:27 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,745,964 times

Advertisements

OP, since you intend to rent (a smart thing), you'll have a chance to get a lay of the land. I know little of the Metroplex, but i'm pretty sure that HP would equate to Weslake (Eanes) in regards to demographics, the number of HSs & the size of the district (small).

Can't compare Eanes ISD to LISD or RRISD (or AISD). They're not comparable economically or bureuacratically. I don't agree that LISD or RRISD is mis-managed because they have a couple of great HSs, a couple of good HSs & a couple of average HSs....like a poster mentioned above, it's more the socioeconomics that drives the superlative schools.

But....thankfully kids don't attend school in the school district headquarters so one CAN compare HSs. & I would compare Westwood HS (in RRISD), Anderson HS (in AISD) & the soon to be opened 4 Points HS (in LISD)....to Westlake HS or Lake Travis HS any day. All are great schools....& they are located in five DIFFERENT districts....some are more athletic....some are more multicultural..... some are better at different things, but all are great academically. (& there are probably 3-4 others.....Bowie, Austin High, Dripping Springs & others that are also very good)

Also...the ESs & MSs that funnel into all of these very fine high schools are all good to great as well. This is why I provided the "map" & is why I think it's a HUGE mistake for people to look "at districts".....& to make the assumption that if large districts that have a couple of "average" schools are a bureaucratic mess or are having problems is (imo) NOT accurate. (under this line of thinking, possibly only HP would be a school worth attending in Dallas i would think).

There are many people from out of state who read these posts, & they don't know squat about Austin & often are of the opinion that the best to way to research info about schools would be to rate DISTRICTS (as opposed to schools)....this would be a huge mistake & it would be unfair to out of staters who might want a different (yet superlative) educational experience than the "gated" experience they would receive at Lake Travis or Westlake (or Highland Park)...... when a possible better academic (& overall) experience could be received at say Westwood or Anderson. (or Austin High or Bowie or Cedar Park HS or the new 4 points HS).

I'll leave Lago Vista off that list, because it's a different animal (although your truck & mine would be well received out there)...& who knows LVISD will be 5 years from now since it's growing like crazy & has an odd mix of characters out there. (which explains why i've thought about moving out there myself).

& for that matter, i have no idea how Lake Travis ISD will fare in 5 years given the EXPLOSIVE growth in that area the past 2 years....I suspect it will continue to be good & there will be two great HSs in that district 5 years from now, but who knows.

Good luck in your search Phillip!

(& we probably need to find out if Phillip's gas guzzling Ford truck w/ 200K (or my GMC truck with 120K) miles be allowed on Eanes ISD property? )

Last edited by hound 109; 09-15-2008 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 03:43 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,452,280 times
I spent some time on an Eanes elementary campus last year and I saw no trucks in the parking lots. The only suv's I saw were Lexus and the only minivans were Toyota.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:09 PM

3 posts, read 13,594 times
If you are researching Eanes ISD as part of your search for the "right" school district, link here for information that you won't find on the Eanes ISD "official" website:

Keep Eanes Informed Home

Eanes is not a fast-growing school. In fact, district enrollment is declining. District children often leave Eanes ISD to attend private school. Eanes ISD will allow your child to transfer in (at no cost) even if you live outside of the district boundaries. However, the rigorous screening process determines whether your child fits the Eanes ISD "mold" ... or not. This approach of course serves to make the "easy" demographics even easier. If you transfer from outside the district, you are not guaranteed a spot from year to year.

Check out the public information posted on the KEI website and good luck with your search!

Keep Eanes Informed Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin