Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 03:20 PM

1 posts, read 3,283 times

Advertisements

I have a really cute cafe right now in St. George, UT, and am going through a divorce and am leaving the business to my ex-husband, and I'd love to relocate another similar concept to Austin. It's very hip, indie music and young-person friendly...I really need some suggestions for a few great places to do that in. Please help???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:40 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erindye View Post
I have a really cute cafe right now in St. George, UT, and am going through a divorce and am leaving the business to my ex-husband, and I'd love to relocate another similar concept to Austin. It's very hip, indie music and young-person friendly...I really need some suggestions for a few great places to do that in. Please help???
Well, there are a lot of those kinds of places here already so you'll need to come here, spend some time really getting to know the area and finding the places where you could fill a niche. S Congress, S 1st, Lamar(N &S), the College strip on Guadalupe, DT all have a lot to choose from currently, but there's always room for something new. I think the near East side would be your best bet. Lots of artists, galleries, and gentrifying going on there right now so it's still transforming(probably into another expensive part of downtown ). That part of town isn't saturated with cafes yet, but it will be soon.

My guess is that you'll want a place that doesn't have super high rent, which sort of eliminates the new retail space in the new high-rise condos. You could take a look at some the areas a little farther out of the city core, but you might not get the sort of crowd you're after. The S East part of town(Riverside) is getting ready for a renaissance, so you might want to take a look that way as well.

You need to come here and do a little scouting.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erindye View Post
Wonder what's happening to the old Kerbey Lane Cafe building on 183 north? It used to attract that kind of crowd....

BTW the property is owned by the Charles M. Schultz estate (of Peanuts fame) and managed by Harry Whittington, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Whittington, the guy Dick Cheney shot!!!

Last edited by southdown; 09-12-2008 at 05:16 PM..

Old 09-13-2008, 09:31 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
Quote:
It's very hip, indie music and young-person friendly...I really need some suggestions for a few great places to do that in. Please help???
I agree with Twange. We have coffee shop saturation in Austin. That doesn't mean there isn't room for more, but you'd really need to study the demographics of the neighborhoods and distance of competitors, traffic, etc. Also, factor in that your highest concentration of young people are near UT, and they all clear out during the summer. The more you depend on UT students, the more seasonal your business will be. Also, people everywhere have been tightening up on disposable spending for things such as gourmet coffee.

Another option I would consider is to look for an existing coffee shop that is being poorly managed or which has a burnt out or retiring owner. Many, many people start coffee shops as a whimsical idealized dream, but soon find that it's harder work and lower profit that they assumed going in. Others are happy to let the business get along covering expenses and providing a reasonable income, but don't agressively look for opportunities to grow revenue or expand. Those are the best finds as a business buyer.

If you can find an existing establishment with good potential and an owner ready to get out, you can take over a better setup than if you started from scratch.

Steve

Old 09-13-2008, 09:36 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Look to the traffic patterns. You might want to look out 183 in the Anderson Mill/183 area (near where Alamo Drafthouse and Half Price Books are), or even out in Cedar Park/Leander, with the rail system coming online shortly. Maybe something near one of the rail stops, even. Another area to check out would be down near Airport Road/North Lamar, again near a rail station and an area that's becoming more popular as a result.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:38 PM

42 posts, read 158,076 times
I say South Austin...we are in desperate need in the south side...the southpark meadows area would be great...Little Woodrows has done oodles of business and as for coffee shops well we only have Austin Java and a Starbucks.

Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,662 times
I know I talk about San Marcos a lot, but if you find Austin proper to be too expensive as an entry point, Hays County (southern end of metro Austin) is generally less expensive, but also growing.
Kyle/Buda has a ton of growth potential, but doesn't have much yet in the way of local cafe' type places.

Quote:
I say South Austin...we are in desperate need in the south side...the southpark meadows area would be great
That would be nice, also.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,185,599 times
Are there any independent coffeeshops in SW Austin? I've seen a few Starbuck's...

Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 AM

389 posts, read 1,571,146 times
Default none

Not one that I know of..

Theres huge potential for business in SW austin, virtually everything that opens up is packed...
Same goes for Kyle/Buda... restaurants and cafes have not come near to keeping up with the growth IMHO.
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta hope View Post
Are there any independent coffeeshops in SW Austin? I've seen a few Starbuck's...

Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,099 times
You may also want to check out possibilities heading out the 290 towards Dripping Springs. There are a couple of coffee shops in Dripping itself, but I have not seen much between the Y at Oak Hill and Dripping. In this area you have the Polo Club, Belterra, HighPointe, Sawyer Ranch and Ledge Stone which are all newer communities, and you also have a number of smaller/older areas.

There are a number of retail space signs going out near these communities. Specifically Polo Club and HighPointe.

All of these areas appear to have a good family mix ranging from young families just starting out, to established families with high school and university aged kids.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin