Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 05:08 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,997,228 times

Advertisements

How cool is this? Well, I think it's very cool.

Stimulus to expand city trail By Philip Jankowski Wednesday, May 13, 2009 2:50 PM CDT

The City of Hutto is one of only two cities in the state of Texas to receive stimulus funding to help fund a trail project. City officials learned last week Hutto will receive more than half a million dollars to expand Cottonwood Trail another mile with extensions at both ends that will connect several Hutto schools. “It’s something we had been lobbying for awhile,” City Manager Ed Broussard said. “We had thought with the funds coming down, if they were looking to fund projects that were frozen, there would be a great possibility that we could get some of it.”

The project was put on hold after the Texas Department of Transportation discovered a shortfall of more than $1 billion last year. When the trail was originally designed, it was meant to connect all Hutto schools. However, with the rapid growth of Hutto and Hutto ISD, the lengthened trail will not extend to all schools even when this second phase of construction is finished. “That shows how quickly HISD and Hutto have grown,” Broussard said. The trail runs from Fritz Park, under U.S. 79 to Creekside Park. When finished, it will extend north to Hutto Elementary School and along Carl Stern Boulevard to Nadine Johnson Elementary and Hutto High School.

The funding, $545,000, requires a $150,000 match from the city, money Broussard said the city will be able to provide because of the postponement of some capital improvement projects, such as the extension of Carl Stern Boulevard. The trail is also sometimes referred to as the TEA-21 trail after the grant funding that helped pay for it from the Transportation Enhancement Act. The trail will be a 10-foot wide paved concrete trail, Parks and Recreation Director Mike Hemker said. There are no plans for a phase three as of yet, Broussard said, though the city may continue to extend the trail to connect newer schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 08:02 PM

351 posts, read 1,430,961 times
If you don't mind racking up unfathomable debt to pay for unnecessary projects I can see how this could be cool.

I can't wait until I get my $886,000 36-hole Frisbee golf course. Who cares, the next few generation can pay for it while I enjoy it today

Old 05-16-2009, 09:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
While I don't want to put a damper on Hutto's new trail, there's a load of bridges in Texas that could use some work instead and would benefit more people.

old article but this came out after that bridge collapsed and everyone scrambled to inspect their infrastructures.
Keep Texas Moving - TxDOT Texas Bridge Inspections, Repairs Accelerated Following Minnesota Collapse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin