Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 8,998 times

Advertisements

I've been considering moving down to Austin and been worried about my Arkansas tags

Sounds like I'd need to get a new DL and insurance asap if I moved though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethjayne View Post
I've been considering moving down to Austin and been worried about my Arkansas tags

Sounds like I'd need to get a new DL and insurance asap if I moved though.
I have been driving with Ontario plates for close to a month now and have not had any problems what so ever. Have to get everything finalized this week.

I have been driving around the south west area and Hays county, so I cannot say if the same would hold true for the rest of Austin. However, I have been traveling to Austin on business on a bi-weekly basis for close to two years and have experienced nothing except friendly helpful people.

My only advise is to accept your new environment and don't complain how its not like home. You will quickly be told what you can do if you don't like it here.

Good Luck

Old 09-16-2008, 09:00 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
Doesn't it seem a little ridiculous that so many people are worried about driving around with out of state plates? I mean what the hell, this is AMERICA right? It's not like you're driving around Iraq with D.C. plates. And if it is, what does that say about Austin?

Anyone who judges someone on their license plates is cretin.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Doesn't it seem a little ridiculous that so many people are worried about driving around with out of state plates? I mean what the hell, this is AMERICA right? It's not like you're driving around Iraq with D.C. plates. And if it is, what does that say about Austin?

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, when you see the occasional cretins who post things here along the lines of "when I see all those California plates, I wish they'd all leave because they're ruining what I like", it's not surprising that it might give someone thinking of moving here a reason to be a bit concerned. For what it's worth, my wife and I moved here at the beginning of the year, and for the first few weeks, my car still had its CA plates. Nobody ever cut me off, swore at me, etc. And neighbors were also very friendly. I'd just take anyone who has that "you're from out-of-state and might not agree with me about everything, so I don't like you" attitude with a grain of salt and just avoid them.

There are rude, mean, inconsiderate, negative people everywhere (luckily in the minority), who will always find something to complain about other people no matter what. If it's not where you're from, then they'll whine about what you do for a living, your religion, your politics, whom you root for, etc. So I'd say to ignore them and just come on to Austin if that's what you feel is right, enjoy yourself, and I'm sure you'll fit in fine. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:49 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Personally, the only time I would pay any attention about anyone who has out of state plates, was if I was in conversation with them....you gotta ask about where they'er from and what it is like .

Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 AM

532 posts, read 1,392,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Personally, the only time I would pay any attention about anyone who has out of state plates, was if I was in conversation with them....you gotta ask about where they'er from and what it is like .
Great point, Trainwreck! I always take the opportunity if I find out that someone is "different" from me in some way to find out more about that difference. I figure it gives me a good chance to learn things I might not otherwise be exposed to.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:40 AM

178 posts, read 458,893 times
Default Truth!

That's a fact! Depending on tourist money must put them in a bad mood....kinda' like begging for a living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Have you ever been to Colorado while driving a car with Texas plates? While we may good naturedly bash Californians, there's no real spite in it, but show up in Colorado and announce you're from Texas and you are subject to all sorts of bad treatment.

To LLL- no worries, people are very friendly here.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM

89 posts, read 418,395 times
That's why there is so many bad drivers around here there looking at license plates and not were they’re going!

Old 09-16-2008, 11:56 AM

178 posts, read 458,893 times
I have. It seems to be inconsistent. Maybe because one is hot, the next not, white vs other, Travis Co. vs Williamson Co., dunno' what the criterea is but if the officer sez it's going to be towed, it will be. 'Cause they's got the gun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It's not cheap, but I've never heard of a car being towed for failure to show proof of insurance.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:28 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post

At one point there were a lot (some?) people saying that the cops just loved to pick on out of state plates. That is the only concern I would have.

I have not had anyone treat me any different on the road since I have Ontario plates, and I have not had the opportunity to run afoul of the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin